most tragic

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jan 13, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

movie you have seen, horror or otherwise. Tragic, as in leaves you with the biggest sense of desolation/despair/hopelessness/worry, and why?

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Good topic, and believe this or not, very close to a thread topic I was just now getting ready to start. Imagine that. Will have to give it some thought and I'll get back to you.

3. BigOleDummy

After a quick run through of one of my movie drives .......

Man, this will be hard to write without revealing major spoilers in these movies!

Shutter Island - Mr. DiCaprio's excellent performance really nails it for me here. My growing sense that something just wasn't right is directly attributed to his amazing acting skills. The final reveal of who he is and where he is and, most especially WHY he's where and who he is ,is one of the most tragic things I've ever seen. Truly heartbreaking. Gives you food for thought about perception's and reality and how easily your mind can alter them.

I was also going to add both Casablanca and Donnie Darko for the heartbreak factor but changed my mind. At the end of each, yes they are heartbreaking and sad, but the message that love is the bigger and driving force for humanity ultimately leaves me both sad (for the character) and happy for the altruistic nature of people.

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

I like tea more than coffee

5. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Manchester by the Sea.

I won't say much about it as it's till a fairly recent release and people might want to watch it. There is one scene, involving a fire which has the most harrowing aftermath I've ever seen. The whole film has no hope, no ray of sunshine, it's just a constant kick in the nuts.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  6. neilold

Some good choices so far, what's that Nikki?

7. Nikki the Great

My choice of beverage.

8. BigOleDummy

Haven't seen that yet but its on my watch list, thank you for the no spoiler. That's why I didn't get more specific about Shutter Island even though its not a newer release.

Dracula Untold - I thought was a tragic movie also. The sacrifice he made to save his people/Kingdom.............

Run All Night - (I think it was) was another like you describe. A constant, relentlessly dark movie but good nonetheless.

9. neilold

Oh,right Nikki, so you were just trying desperately to derail the thread and not actually contributing anything useful, great

10. Nikki the Great

Just tryna fit in round here. Am I in your clique yet?

11. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Is neilold really telling people off for not contributing anything useful. Thats rich.

Pembers and Nikki the Great like this.
  12. Nikki the Great

Innit!

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Requiem for a Dream. It's not even beautiful sad, it's just squalid sad.

I don't think movies like this are good tbh, there's no catharsis or anything.

I watched this at my friend's house when we were young adults. I was drinking vodka and he was drinking cider, and we lapsed further and further into drunken depressed silence as the film went on.

Randomly, we'd been in town that afternoon and had some non-bursting bubbles from a stall on Manchester market or somewhere. These are bubbles that you blow the normal way, but they're made out of a liquid that congeals, and if they're in the air for more than a couple of seconds they congeal to the point where they don't pop on contact. So you can catch them, and if they float into a wall or piece of furniture they just stick to it and stay there.

[​IMG]

Anyway, while the film was on, I'd sort of been drunkenly blowing these bubbles without really paying attention to where they were going. When it finished, I turned to my friend, and he was just sitting there with a horrified expression on his face, covered in bubbles and lit by the blue light from the TV screen. It was like a strange piece of art. Then I turned the light on and we realised there were bubbles stuck to everything.

14. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Those bubbles look like an anal sex toy

Abe likes this.
  15. neilold

rich or not, its still an unnecessary distraction. I'm not the one that needs to worry about cliques, you're the one who has cloud immediately jumping to your defence, which kinda proves my point

16. Nikki the Great

[​IMG]

17. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Neil I give you the business in threads that neither Nikki or any of the other gang has posted in. I just seen you laying out unjustified business and felt compelled to give you what for.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  18. Nikki the Great

Yeah calm down Neil. You derail our threads alllll the time, so you can't really start getting emotional when someone does it in one of yours.

Cloud likes this.