move over please

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Oct 4, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

cars vs bicycles, who wins the argument and why?

2. neilold

personally I think you lose both them arguments, (on those specific points) me old mucker. Firstly car accidents are a lot more dangerous than bike accidents. It's the car that causes the most damage, in terms of physical impact, not the bike. Secondly you can't simply get off by the fact that there is more pollution caused by other objects. That may be true, but its nowhere near enough justification to justify the damages a car does in numerous fields (think pollution, danger, environmental effects, effects of builing more roads, danger potential, even stuff like animals lost to car incidents)

3. neilold

I know you meant a car and bike. I meant that in that situation, regardless of fault, the car is much more likely to do immediate physical damage to a person than the bike

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Cars aren't the major cause of global warming but they are certainly a major one (cars and trucks are estimated about a fifth of the global warming output for a developed country with lots of them, like the US).

Other major causes are the meat industry, factories and the production of electric, so those all need tackling too (for instance: I think we should certainly tax meat and maybe dairy - we eat far too much of it, and making it a pricier "treat" is something we could all cope with - and no one will die of hunger if they sometimes have chana masala or baked potato and hummus for tea). I use very little electric and don't drive, but I'm very wasteful in terms of what I send to landfill, so I'm not doing well overall for the environment.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, cars have a major (to my eye negative) impact on what our world looks like. Urban and suburban environments are mostly designed around roads for cars. The most striking thing about any urban scene is the queue of shiny modern cars endlessly snaking through it. I'd much rather see gaily-coloured bicycles flying around.

I ride a bike and love it, because it's convenient and fun to bomb around on.

Question relating to cars: window down or aircon? When I was a child, I used to love flying down the motorway with the window open. It almost felt like being in a light aircraft. Nowadays, most people prefer to keep the windows shut and have some aircon on, which is just less exciting IMO.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  5. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Bikes on country roads are difficult to drive around and I encounter a lot on the way home so I have taken to just running them over. The bikes make it so I have to be in my car for like an extra 10 minutes so is that not causing a problem as me and about 20 other cars have an extended journey because of some geezer on a bike.

I dont really care about the environment because I will be long dead before there is any problem so I would rather enjoy life, eat meat, use all my electric and mow down cyclists and let the future generations I dont care about deal with it.

Paul Taylor and Nikki the Great like this.
  6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I hate meeting bikes on windy country roads and the highway. Town streets not so bad because they are a lot straighter and aren't driving at 100km l ike on the highway and there is usually room on the side of the road for them in town. Some sections of the highway don't have any room for bikes.

I no longer ride a bike unless its in my yard or my parents yard because I just don't feel safe on the road with cars around me. I think I live a little far out of town to be travelling to and from work everyday on a bike especially during storm season when I am usually driving home from work with lightning all around.

Car for me because bikes aren't practial.

7. neilold

I liked windows open. But I have a horrible and weird phobia of the wind blowing my eyes out of my head

jmc2000 likes this.
  8. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Bikes for recreation. American cities are much more spread out than most European cities and our public "transportation" options are much more limited. Some cities here have an almost decent grid, NYC's being one of the best. But as a rule, if you want to ride the bus add many hours to your journey across town. I was majorly impressed with the Bus/Train system when I was over there.

My last contract here, I commuted 82 miles a day total and that is not all that uncommon. Too far for a bike, though I did ride a bike at one time to one job but that was only a 22 miles round trip. Too old for either anymore!

On an Ohio valley summer day , air conditioning all the way! Spring/fall open windows are tolerable

9. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Just use trains.
    [​IMG]

jmc2000 likes this.
  10. BigOleDummy

LOL, we as a Nation don't really have a passenger rail system. And if that image is indicative I'm Glad! ;-)

Seriously though, most major and no mid to small cities have rail.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. neilold

I've always wanted to go across America on a train, I love train journeys. Nikki perhaps your advise to travel on trains should be in the what to do if you had limitless money thread!!!

12. BigOleDummy

Better hurry then, cross country trains of which we have one isn't viable commercially and will be scrapped soon. (by the way..... lol, Water for Elephants takes place when circus's traveled by train, so some nice footage of that)

13. neilold

Cool. I love the movie silver streak with Pryor and wilder, and half the reason I love it is because of the cross U.S train journey they sorta make!

14. neilold

Awwwwww, why they scrapping it, that's sad, there is something romantic about long train journeys

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  15. BigOleDummy

Just phasing it out, doesn't make money. See Amtrak. Very few lines left , all heavily subsidized.

How about "Emperor of the North"? Some of that in "Water for Elephants" too.

16. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I love the train, wish that the trainline was never pulled up in my local area because I would be catcing the train to and from work most days if it still existed. But then again I may not live where I currently do since the trainline went through my yard.

17. neilold

Not bothered by the train company especially, I just want to go across America by train, it's an ambition of mine

18. BigOleDummy

Yeah, I like em too. Used the Tri - Rail system in Florida as often as I could.

19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

We've just had a massive redoing of our central train station to allow a bunch more trains to come in and out, both local (out to the way-out-of-town airport and north and south to about 40 miles) as well as Amtrak. I don't think Amtrak is shutting down so much as that they've got to downsize. The people taking trains will still take trains, but it's just less reasonable with cheaper air travel across a country that takes days to traverse on train. The price isn't worth the inconvenience much anymore.

20. BigOleDummy

Back in the day I used to hop the freight trains going south out of the , not sure of the right terminology here, marshalling yard that's under the 8th street viaduct (like 2 blocks from where I lived) and ride them down to Castle Rock. The tracks make a HUGE turn there so the trains always slowed way down so we could hop off there and hitchhike back to Denver.

Paul Taylor and Abe like this.