move over please

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Oct 4, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I hope the bulls whooped your fair dodging arse!

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    As it was a FREIGHT train there was no fare involved I thank you! ;-) And yes, we lived in mortal terror of the yard dogs catching us!!!!!!!!! But they never did. Heck, we were just kids at the time ....... say 14/15. It was really cool though.... riding in those boxcars, watching the mountains roll past ............

3. neilold

I always think if those old movies where people hop them to avoid the law, and then have to hide from the cops, also I always think of boxcar boxers to when I see them

BigOleDummy likes this.
  4. BigOleDummy

We never came across anybody else riding them, but I'm sure there were some somewhere. I still think about doing it again I must admit, the ........ freedom we or at least I, felt was unmatched. Some of my fondest memories in fact. Good friends, good times.
    I'm way too old to try that anymore but it still pops into my mind every now and then.

5. neilold

It's one of the stereotype americana images brits have of the u.s, along with the good old south, new York crime, Bible belt preachers, gay sanfrancisco and liberal california

6. BigOleDummy

I understand completely. If we can do nothing else we know how to spin a story! Hollywood isn't the world's leader in storytelling for nothing! ;-)
    The reality though is usually something different. NYC crime for instance, I myself have walked the streets of DEEP Harlem at 3 in the morning , for example, with nary a cross word directed at me. Same goes for Detroit, a very nice city by the way and nothing at all as its so often depicted. Spent many many springs and summers there and have no horror stories to tell. Yes, it has its troubles, there's no denying that but as far as the usual narrative goes it's a pretty cool place to be. The "good old south" is probably the farthest from the mark of your examples. I've lived and/or worked here in the south a major portion of my life. (Yes, yes I know I'm technically in Indiana at the moment but its "Copperhead" country. Most of the people in Floyd and Clark counties are more "southern" than people who call Nashville or Atlanta home are.)(Look up Copperhead if you don't get what I mean. Not the snake ;-))
    I'm sure its the same for you and OUR stereotypes as we have of you and YOUR stereotypes. To us (a lot of us anyway) The Ministry of Funny Walks IS England. Yes most Americans can't distinguish between England and the U.K. :redface: