Mr Crowley

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Feb 6, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Ahh gotcha, I always thought it was an Ozzy Osbourne song, not black Sabbath?

2. neilold

Dear ant/blooe

Oh dear, this is a regular problem that occurs with many your age. Don't worry, you're not alone, many teens tend to have teen crushes and the ache you feel will eventually pass

Love Cathy and Claire

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Well since nobody else will tell you :

polemical
    [pəˈlemək(ə)l]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. of, relating to, or involving strongly critical, controversial, or disputatious writing or speech:

4. BigOleDummy

I can agree that these are all pretty good. EXCEPT that I don't hold Quadrophrenia in as a high regard as you do. Which is a little strange as its one of my favorite albums of all time period. Maybe I'll give it another look soon. I thought they made the "punk"(main character) a little too ....... whiney maybe? ....... jerkish? ........ I don't know what word I'm looking for but TO ME he wasn't near as sympathetic as on the record. I'll give it another watch soon and let you know if my minds changed.

5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Actually, you're right there; I think I was thinking of Black Sabbath at the time... :redface:

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've got the distinct feeling I've misspelled the word 'polemically'. Dang it... spelling was never my strongest point..... :lol::redface::picard:

BigOleDummy likes this.
  7. neilold

Lol. You can tell your a yank big ole!! Jimmy in quadrophenia was a mod. Very much a mod, perhaps it means more to me because I was a scooter boy and also a brit

BigOleDummy likes this.
  8. BigOleDummy

:-D8-):-D8-)

9. neilold

The song hasn't anything to do with the film though has it?? I dunno, it's so long since I listened to it

10. BigOleDummy

Sure it does, his infatuation with "the godfather",( i.e. Sting in the movie/the Bellboy ) and how he wanted to emulate him.

11. BigOleDummy

The movie is almost track for track from the album ....................

12. neilold

I knew a lot of the songs were related to the film. I didn't think they all were. Anyway, my point is Jimmy is a mod, not a punk. I always thought it meant punk, as in deviant trouble causer anyway, not punk, as in punk music , as punk music wasn't around when the album first came out, and the film was set in the sixties.

13. BigOleDummy

Exactly, that's the way I always assumed it was meant too. That's also the context in which I refered to him (Jimmy), sorry if I didn't make myself clear. And the album/film yes its almost song for song/scene for scene ..... at least that's what I got from watching it the once. Pete's songwriting, for me, has always sorta kinda mirrored "me". His fears and sorrows, his take on life. Well at least his take on younger life, not a fan of his politics these days OR his personal life. But Tommy......... Quadrophrenia ........ Who's Next ....... man, those songs were ME. I literally wore out my first copy of Who's Next and had to buy another due to the sound degradation.

14. neilold

Ahhh, kinda crossed wires. I think it's more of American thing, punk meaning trouble causer. We don't tend to use it over here, neither does anybody ever use punked in common language. The song lyrics 'i can't explain' mirror me. Especially the lines, I get funny feelings again and again, I know what they mean but, I can't explain'.

15. BigOleDummy

"Punk" over here is a ................... weird word. Yes, it can be a troublemaker/delinquent etc. But until "Punk" music came out it was mainly associated with a young boy in Prison who got turned out. It was quite a grave insult indeed. Behind the fence it still is. If you hear it in an old 50's movie THATS what they meant by it. Outside its mainly evolved into what we now consider it.

16. BigOleDummy

Yeah, Can't Explain is a great song. Pete could write about "The Young Male Experience" like very few others before or since. How about that album "Live at Leeds"? Easily in the top 2 or 3 best live albums ever put to vinyl imho.

17. neilold

Mine to. I've seen the who live, they're very loud. Not as loud as manowar mind, who I've also seen. I prefer, like most mods and scooter boys, their earlier work, a lot of the more rock later style songs they do are rubbish

18. BigOleDummy

Agreed. From "The Who by Numbers" on they are hardly worth listening to. Did you ever hear that album by Pete and Ronnie Lane "Rough Mix"? Excellent!

19. neilold

Nope. Never heard of it, I'll give it a listen

20. BigOleDummy

The album as a whole is decent ..... with a few outstanding songs. "Heart to Hold On To" chief among them. At least imho.