Mugs Murphy D-D-Don't Shoot T-Shirt

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Weevil, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mrflibble1337

mrflibble1337 Skutter

Just out of interest, but what's involved in officially licensing Red Dwarf products? Not that it would probably be affordable, or even allowed for a private individual. I'd like to see these T-Shirts happen and am sick of seeing all the cheap knock-offs on Cafepress, Zazzle and suchlike when I know I can produce something of quality... just not sell it :-(

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If anyone wants to pitch for the licence, I'm happy to forward an email to the company. Send to webboard@reddwarf.co.uk.

The short version of licensing - true for all companies - is that you pay the owners for the rights, the licence, to produce official merchandise. That payment is recouped from sales, obviously, from which the franchise owners also take a cut. If the merchandise involves cast likenesses - not the case here, obviously - they'll often see payments from the franchise owner's take. Depending on their deals.

Gaining a licence also requires a solid business plan, proof that you can distribute and sell (obviously this is much easier for an established firm with a track record). When you're playing with someone else's name and logo, it's important that their reputation be protected. Generally licences won't go to just anybody, despite there being money in working that way; quality will matter as much as cash, so it's up to the licensee to show things are in safe hands.

The licensee will generally be the one taking the larger risk - paying for designs, approval samples, changes and eventually stock, shipping, distribution and advertising. But that's balanced by the security of selling a known brand to an existing fanbase, as opposed to going out with something totally unknown.

3. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

God Andrew, you're so pedantic when it comes to what word was typed and which one wasn't. You argue this way all the time. The words "imply" and "infer" have no meaning to you when it comes to ME interpreting what YOU wrote. But, turn the tables around and you can interpret what I say as "inferring this" or "implying this"(ie. I never used the word "ignore", but I didn't feel the need to point that out to you before). You never admit when you're wrong. You're just like George W Bush in this respect. Ridiculous. If this has become childlike, know that you are just as responsible as I am for that. But here, I'll give you an example of how admitting you're wrong works, so maybe you can practice it and not be such a George W about it: I was wrong for saying you know as little as I do about the t-shirts. But in my case, only a little wrong. You see, my original point, which bedfordfalls re-iterated (and watch me here, I WON'T use his EXACT words, and I bet you dollars to donuts he won't give a smeg) is that MrFlibble's failure in attaining profits for bootlegged goods does not INDICATE (since I'm not allowed to use proof...course you probably never said the word "indicate" either) that there is no market for these shirts and it's asinine to think it does. [beating a dead horse, here]

{disclaimer: Andrew never used the word "implied" or "inferred", in fact he probably had to look them up to ascertain their meaning, since he doesn't seem to know that what he types holds inferences and implications.}

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Man, GNP really missed out when they had the chance to hire you, didn't they?

5. tortexturtle

That's the best you could come up with?! keep hurling my way Andrew. From the sounds of things, I'd have to pay GNP to work for them! Paying people in signed copies of a script that copy and pasted bits from Blade Runner? No thanks. Money spends better. Besides that, I don't think my lips are big enough to crawl up Doug's arse, like yours must be. Smeg off already (or do you ALWAYS have to have the last word?)

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Andrew unfortunately chose to read venom and malice into what I wrote, presumably because he's formed a fixed opinion of me (as he tacitly admits when asking me why I 'always' do this). He assumes my use of 'ignore' implies some type of 'negative motive' by GNP wheras the word has more to it than just that:

ig·nore/ig?nôr/Verb
    1. Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally
    2. Fail to consider (something significant)

I don't believe that GNP are maliciously ignoring fan demand, this is, quite frankly a ridiculous caricature of what should have been an inoffensive remark. I mentioned the DVD's only because it appears that GNP see them as their primary projects (when not making new Dwarf of course) wheras perhaps there are other profitable areas such as t-shirt production to be exploited.

As I admitted, GNP may well have access to detailed market research indicating that this is bunk and such T-shirt production would not be a worthwhile venture but as Andrew didn't reply with a confirmation I still wonder whether such research exists and if not whether it might be something worth at least consulting the fanbase on. This website would be a great tool to do it by.

A t-shirt is, after all, free advertising. :-)

7. tortexturtle

The worst? Alright, I admit it, I probably went overboard in reacting against what Andrew said to me. But every post he made felt like he was needling me just enough to throw me into such an angered state (i've cooled off a little now). If you read my first post, there is nothing in there that is remotely insulting. Just my disagreeing with Andrew. He lobbed the first one at me, which quickly escalated the situation. I have a bad habit of overdoing it in regards to comebacks, but I really think the underlying tone of his posts towards me are much more malicious than they appear to be. He says things that are mean spirited but in a more "politically correct" kind of way, where I probably just threw out the "pc" aspect of what I said as the posts progressed which ended up making me look like the bigger arse hole.

To the decorum of this board, I humbly apologize. I'm sure I've cause irreparable harm to my public persona here. Know that I value the opinions and viewpoints shared here (even ones opposite to my own) and would appreciate being able to participate appropriately on this message board from here on out on hopefully a clean slate.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, i'm not taking sides here, but i think you made some good points. As did Andrew. And yeah maybe you got a little heated, and Andrew got a little arrogant (weather intentional or not i can't always tell) Your comments were far from the worst i've seen on here though, by a looong shot.

Anyway, t'was an interesting thread, but I want one one those t-shirts damn it! are they sold out or what ? PM me Flibble if you have any more for sale (seriously:-()

9. bedfordfalls

PM'd you an alternate source.

10. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Um, could I have a PM too?

11. bedfordfalls

yes. :-)

12. tortexturtle

I should say I also owe Andrew an apology. I lost it a bit there, mate. The two of us disagreed on something, and it probably should have been left at that. But it seems like when I detect arrogance with other people, I feel compelled to reign that arrogance in for them a little bit. Not really my job and not really cool for me to do so especially in the way that I did. Clearly I dislike BTE and official GNP t-shirts. But there's no need to insult your work over it. In fact, I quite enjoyed those Behind the Scenes docs that you produced. You obviously have talent and deserve to be where you're at, helping produce the greatest show ever made (and you of course don't need my affirmation of this). So I was looking back to see exactly why I lost my cool. And I think I know what happened. For one thing I'm as cool as cucumber most of the time (hard to believe perhaps but true). I have to be-- I work a notably smeggy sales job. Just another underemployed American having to eat crap every day from customers--with no release--or obviously not a good enough one. Why the heck would I want to go on a message board and insult people from the other side of the pond, thus alienating fellow Dwarfers? Probably because I can't insult my customers and still keep my job :P

It's not an excuse.
    I'm not expecting you to be all like "Oh, that's ok mate, you and me are BFFs now", because at this point you'd probably rather have a cup of tea with "AntiEverything" ;-) (I probably shouldn't even mention his name here, [I'm just playing with you AntiEverything!]) But I am sorry, and next time I'm angry, I'll try my best not to displace it on fellow dwarfers.

13. mrflibble1337

mrflibble1337 Skutter

GROUP HUG!

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Andrew and I had a little debate of our own before. I found that he just states things matter-of-fact and prefers to not sugar coat his statements. It wasn't his arrogance, just my need to adjust and interpret his communication style in typing. He is really a great person and went out of his way to help me once when I needed it. In fact, he goes out of his way often in finding answers for fans on here with rarely a thank you. :?

15. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Can't say that I've ever met Andrew myself but from looking over the boards for a while it seems that the people who have are pretty unanimous in saying that he's a good and decent bloke. It is a shame that quite a few arguments and disputes have taken place over time on the boards involving him and this isn't exactly the first time that the accusation of arrogance has come up. It takes two people to have an argument obviously and so the blame must always be shared but it's unfortunate that due to poor wording that he sometimes comes across far worse than probably intended.

16. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Oh the irony.

17. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Lets all just put the blame on the economic climate and be on our way

18. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

As I said, it takes 2 people to have an argument. So I can certainly take responsibility for any arguments that I've had on the boards in the past.

I have no interest in having any more though so take the comment as intended please. I'm sure that you are a thoroughly decent person but if you could adapt your posting style a fraction then it would reduce the chances of this type of thread happening again. And that doesn't mean that I condone the comments that the other poster made which he rightly apologized for.

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ahh Nicko my boy, you haven't changed a bit.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Who are you, Nicko? What was your previous nickname on this board?