My 2 Cents on BTE

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Urgamanix

Urgamanix Third Technician

In the past, Red Dwarf has been 80% comedy 20% story. Episodes were mostly unlinked from one to the other, so the basic premise was a situation that set up the comedy.

From the start of series 7 onwards, this percentage changed. Personally I think Series 7 had the right balance of story and comedy.

Back to Earth on the other hand, is 90% story 10% comedy. The situation no longer sets up the comedy - the comedy is injected into the story, with mixed results, I would say a negative result.

Did that mean the thing was bad? No, it doesn't. The story was really really well done and very clever, with suitable twists and kept everything thinking and talking. So props, the script was excellent.

But the humour lacked. The jokes weren't there, at least not in the form they used to be. The only one that really felt good was the Lister bathroom joke and when Rimmer killed his nemesis.

So I think, it was good in one way and bad in another. What needs to be remembered is why Red Dwarfers watch the show. Is it because of the story? No, it's because of the weird situations and the comedy. Question is, does Red Dwarf want to be a humourous drama, or a pointless sitcom. I'd love for number 2.

2. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

I don't agree with you I'm afraid. If you read the multitude of posts on this forum about plotholes and inconsistencies you'll soon discover that many Red Dwarf fans DO care about storylines. I don't want a pointless sitcom..I want laughs within the framework of a proper story.

3. Urgamanix

I didn't say people don't want storylines. What I'm saying is if you watch the all-time favourite episodes, they were self-contained, set up the premise in the first 5-10 minutes and the comedy leads the story. BTE felt different because it didn't follow this setup. Whether person X prefers style one or two, is all down to personal preference.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

id say it was 60% comedy and 40% story for previous series, and u find that the favorite episodes ussaully have a very good story to go along with it

id say the problem with BTE was that it was a lil confused to if it was a movie,sci fi tv show, or sitcom and tried to balance all 3 out to the point where it become so unrecognisable by fans

5. Urgamanix

I'd certainly agree with that Talkie