RDXI My Favourite/Least Favourite Part of (RDXI)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Dismembers, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Favourite: The dialogue with Harmony when they arrived at the club.

Loved the setting, loved the storyline, loved the costumes and as I say, loved the diaogue.

Least: The last 5 minutes of Can of Worms.

Bit confusing, no real explanation for Cat's change of heart.

2. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Great thread, Pembers. I will give this one the thought it deserves.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Felis ex machina.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I had to have quite a think about this as my memory of XI is already becoming hazy. Actually, this thread has served as a good reminder that I'm going to have to give season XI another watch sooner or later as I really want to see it again before XII comes along.

Anyway, I would say that my favourite bit would be the look of Twentica. The costumes and in particular the wonderful sets. Those wonderfully brooding, atmospheric outdoor scenes with the dark, misty streets and the old-fashioned cars and shops.

My least favourite bit was the final moment of Officer Rimmer. A really good episode slightly ruined by a ludicrously abrupt ending. Why did nobody realise that ending in this fashion was going to be a really bad idea?

5. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Favourite: the introduction of the bio-printer. I thought it was a great new sci-fi concept, which made me think of Doctor Who on a good day. The Dwarf mythos is firmly established now, so they often revisit/tweak old ideas - especially during this series - but the bio-printer felt really fresh. Also, the reveal of the captain's face after the "paper jam" is a great visual gag with a dark horror feel. Superb stuff, all round.

Least favourite: I'll also go for the Officer Rimmer ending. Doubly annoying after such a good story. I can see the logic in ending abruptly on gunfire, but something was off in the edit. Maybe the camera lingered for too long? Anyway, it looked like a rough cut of the episode, with a missing special effect.

6. Zombie Smurf

Zombie Smurf Supply Officer

Favourite: Explaining Cat, that Ankita was a Polymorph. I love Cat's "It still counts!" :lol:

Least favourite: The end of conversation with The Universe, when Kryten says something about love and whole dialogue ends. It could have better solution - The Universe in mid-life crisis was super idea. :-(

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Favourite: The scene where Rimmer's being conveyed along the officer's corridor. Head held high, inhaling deeply. I felt good for Rimmer. It was so over the top, exactly as it should be. Harking back to Balance of Power. Just a great visual joke & plot point in one.

Least favourite: Same as Pembers, Felis ex Machina. Cat suddenly returns after being missing and kills all the Polymorphs singlehandedly, despite earlier refusing to. We don't get any explanation as to where he's been, why he changed his mind, or how he identified them. We just get "a mother knows her own". Was it a smell thing? Was he hanging around the corner? And the Polymorphs explode with single shots like space invaders. If they're that frail then why bother with the suicide prison ship, just explode her to begin with.

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hmm... my favourite would have to be pretty much all of Officer Rimmer. Really can't fault that episode at all (even the ending doesn't spoil it). But I think my favourite part of RDXI as a whole, and I can't remember which episode this was from, was Rimmer talking about his frequent dreams of flying when related to sex (or not as the case may be), in which he releases his small bag of nuts all over his lap by accident.

Worst bit - the Universe. Not a fan. Compared to how brilliant I thought the rest of RDXI was, the Universe was unwelcome, unnecessary and spoils the lore and feel of Red Dwarf. We now have an intelligence which is not from Earth/humanity, and it just felt like a cheap cop-out.

9. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Pretty sure this was also Officer Rimmer.

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

There are so many outstanding moments throughout series 11 of RD but for me my favourite part has to be the whole of Give and Take! The best episode of Red Dwarf since 1993 with only one line (about Rimmer knowing someone who Snacky formerly served) being unnecessary and defunct.

My least favourite has to unfortunately be the non-role of the personality tuck machine in the final 5 mins of Can of Worms - okay I hope it was intended as a misdirect instead of an obvious plot hole but it unnecessarily overclutters the pay off for the third polymorph story. I do now kind of interpret it as a misdirect but really the personality tuck machine simply has no purpose and is absolutely pointless and over complicates the pay off for Can of Worms a bit to much. Was it shoddy writing from Doug or a misdirect? Whatever, I think that device might have been better off being dropped from the script as it is my least favourite part of series 11. Still Can of Worms - despite being the least strong episode of the 2016 run - is still pretty strong and significantly better than Dear Dave at least.