my only friend, the end

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold frankincense and myrrh, May 15, 2017.

1. neilold frankincense and myrrh

neilold frankincense and myrrh Flight Co-Ordinator

Personal grievances in programmes. I REALLY get annoyed if I don't see the final episode of sitcoms. Bordering on the extreme compulsive. Even if I don't really like the show that much, I get annoyed by incorrect closure. I remember when it happened to only fools, when they came millionaires. Del ends the episode with the line 'this time net year we'll be billionaires'. As my favourite programme ever, I went totally apoplectic at it ending that way, and pretty much stopped watching the show for about 6 months out of protest and anger. Of course its done on purpose to ensure you'll watch the new episodes, series etc. It irritates me to the extreme though. RD has done it a few times, especially with rimmers 'the slime is back' ending. Which annoyed me, I was upset that not a single word was mentioned about it at the start of the new series. Steptoe and son was another case. I also remember doctor who's cliffhanger endings virtually every week as a kid to

2. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Don't watch anime, it's even worse when it comes to endings especially series endings.

3. neilold frankincense and myrrh

I'm glad i'm not into American tv, a lot of their series' seem to get cancelled, for various reasons that don't really even seem that clear sometimes, thus depriving viewers of any sort of closure. That'd annoy me to the point of virtually not watching television at all I think

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Oh god yes Anime is a backstard for open endings!

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  5. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Given its existence is frequently as a marketing tool for an ongoing manga/light novel series, it's not surprising. Maddening, but not surprising. And when they do try to give an original ending, it tends to end up pretty poor anyway, so it's a lose-lose medium it would seem!

Oddly though, one of my all time favourite endings I first saw in anime format: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Neil might moan about given it leaves some things open for a potential follow up, but delivers a lot of closure making it a great ending.

Not everything needs to be locked down utterly for it to be a good ending, wrapping up its main story/concept and giving closure to the characters. I found the original Only Fools and Horses ending to be a good example of this myself. Granted it left a lot to be desired when it returned, but the "Time on Our Hands" ending delivered for me

6. Saint Nikki

Saint Nikki Console Officer

I like open endings in films etc. More realistic and more like life in general. Having said that, I wish getting closure in life stuff was more of a thing.

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

There's a little show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer that has an awesome ending. And it lived up to the original mission statement perfectly: "celebrating the joy of female power: having it, using it, sharing it". Best. Climax. Ever! :-) If you have a young daughter or niece, I'd highly recommend introducing them to this show, or at least showing them this episode. The look on my nieces face during the montage at the end was such a lovely experience. :-)

Tangents aside, there is then some continuation of the Buffy world with seasons 8, 9 and 10 in comic book format, which I'll be catching up with once I've finished my series run-through (I ordered volume 1 of season 8 last night).

8. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I liked the ending to Only Fools..... thought it was perfect.

It was a shame they came back really cos it ended on such a positive note.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Bottom had quite the ending of endings when that finished!

Decembers likes this.
  10. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Yep that was great.

11. neilold frankincense and myrrh

yes I liked the bottom one. However I originally just thought it was another of their death endings! like the one on the ferris wheel. The only fools ending was fine, its the style in which it was shot, that veered into stupidity, and the billionaires line that was the sucker punch. Just spoilt it. It should have ended with them in their new homes, with the cars. But remember, as the ex vp of the only fools and horses fanclub, I am particularly interested and hyper critical of such things

12. Christmas Rubbish

Christmas Rubbish Flight Co-Ordinator

You mean like the way @Tex_Rimmer posted a review on Series X and then simply vanished into the night?

13. Saint Nikki

Saint Nikki Console Officer

That's exactly what I was talking about, yes.

14. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Bottom always made me laugh..! :lol:

Christmas Rubbish likes this.
  15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I watched all three seasons on Bottom (and the film Guest House Paradiso) but for the life of me I can't remember the ending you're all referring to. I'll have to see if it's on Youtube now.

16. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. neilold frankincense and myrrh

if you mean the ferris wheel episode. That's season 3 ep 1, 'hole'

if you mean the eddie and Richie bullet ending that's the last episode of the final series, that's series 3 ep 6 'carnvial'

it's the S.A.S riddled with bullets scene at the very end of the second aforementioned episode that is referenced here

18. neilold frankincense and myrrh

Yes Mayall and Edmonson seemed to have made a career out of belting each other

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The shooting ending wasn't that amazing given they already died at the start of the series too. There was no reason they couldn't come back for a forth series and say nothing about it like they did after they fell to their deaths at the end of Hole. In fact, a fourth series was planned, but the BBC rejected it.

20. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

I don't watch much TV but not for that reason. Its just so..................... insipid. Way too much trash to sift through to find the one or two pearls. I wait.......... if its good enough to last a few years/seasons then I'll pick up a season DVD and see if its for me.
    And yeah, you're correct the vast majority of our tv offerings don't have a "final" episode. I find most that do to be highly contrived and overtly "sentimental". So maybe that's a good thing actually..............