My prediction....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mellow_n_dark, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

Currently (correct me if I am wrong), but Torchwood has the highest ever viewing figures for a digital only programme... I predict Red Dwarf will steal that title and will rake in at least 6 millions viewers!

Shame about the ad breaks though...

2. doggett

doggett Second Technician

I don't think it'll reach 2 mil, sorry.
    Calling the channel Dave is a big mistake. It's the worst of all the new channel names and with no poster adds anywhere...

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A new Dave record of just over one million is my prediction.

4. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I remember back when the channel was rebranded Dave, i saw loads of billboards then... And besides the DVD sales are the things that count, it'll be unprecidented that's for sure.

5. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

....To be honest, I thought Dave was the only sucsessful rename, mostly because it was on it's own for nearly a solid year, and it was unique.

There are still black cabs running around with "Dave" and a jaraffe on them, so it's not like it wasn't marketed either.

As for the viewing figures, they'll easily set a new reccord I think. Could it be something special? Certainly if it goes anyplace near Torchwoods figure, then Red Dwarf's future is practically signed, sealed and delivered.

6. Lee

Lee Third Technician

did i hear right that the gang are on BBC breakfast news tomoro that will show alot of people that theyre back right?

7. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Oh! Really. I'll try and have a hunt for a time.

8. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I think Dave is a great name for a channel - only surpassed by Dave ja vu for the plus 1. Genius.

After all Dave is historically a good comedy name used in Only Fools and Horses, League of Gentlemen and er...

9. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I can't find anything on the BBC site or elsewhere :-(

10. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

i think your under estimating how popular Red Dwarf is. I read somewhere on here not long ago that RD VIII was getting 8 million views. Ok some are pretty standard, casual viewers but there are ALOT of hardcore fans like us. Most people know about the new eps that I know, and not through me telling them (altho I did bring it up) but there were articals in all the Free London papers when it was announced, and I wouldn't be surprised if the nationals had picked up on it too. And those that had read the artical said they'd watch because they loved the show when it was on and still catch it occassionally in Dave etc, in the same way someone might say they love watching something at the moment. Just because they aren't on the forum and buying the DVD's doesn't mean they won't want to see the next installment.

I can't see them hitting the 8million mark, but think it will do really well for itself.
    I do have to agree though there needs to be alot more publicity for it. That being said, Dave shows adds for other UKTV channels, has anyone seen adds for Red Dwarf on any of these channels??

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've seen RD ads on G.O.L.D.

12. miniman92

miniman92 Skutter

I think they need to advertise more on the big channles. The only advertisment theres been is adverts on Dave and Robert Llewellyn on Richard and Judy on Watch, and how many people watch tht? I know loads of people who love Red Dwarf and when i'v mentioned the Back To Earth speicals there like "what??" "really?" and thats happend many times. I think that if everyone actually knew about the specials it could easily hit 6mil but it wont cus so many people dont have a clue its happening, i think it'll get around 3mill - Shame.

13. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

worldwide Dvd sales are what excites me, afterall this is only english viewers and only english viewers that have freeview, not 8 million views but something close to that would be nice, when you consider there are some people around my age (14 in june) that know and love dwarf either via freinds, family or dave so... Who knows.

14. currymonster

of course. A completly new generation of Dwarf fans hadn't occured either. Those that were too young to watch any of it first time round, (myself partially included, I'm 21 so really only saw series 7 and 8 on tv altho i remember bits of epsiodes from when i was really little and stayed up late) that will defo be tuning in to watch new RD being aired for the 1st time!

15. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Ha!

That's the same as me.:-D

16. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

If I had of seen series 7 and 8 first, not sure as I would of taken to it :-( Glad I saw series 2 first; first time round. I remember everyone being in to it at school; well probably the geekier kids ;-)

17. jaybo1973

I agree, I have mentioned it to a few friends who are old time dwarfers who hadn't heard about the new shows. I am afraid it will get missed by alot of the original fans. its a shame BBC 2 didn't pick it up again, good that someone did though!

18. currymonster

Jayboy1973 - don't get me wrong I had seen Red Dwarf loads before series 7, with vids friends had taped off the telly etc. Just making the point that I didn't get the chance to watch them aired first time round until much later on

19. jaybo1973

I am glad there is a newer generation of fans :-) Without them, we probably wouldn't be getting the shows. If it wasn't for the viewing figures on Dave, Friday would not be happening. Hail the Dave viewers; i thank you all :-)