My thoughts on Red Dwarf X...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mingle, Nov 6, 2012.

1. mingle

mingle Third Technician

Just watched the first episode of Red Dwarf X... We're a bit behind the times down here in Oz!

Quite good - better than the rather poor series 7 & 8 IMO...

Here are a few of my observations (for what they're worth!:-(

1: Kryten looked very pasty and pale, his neck also looked rather fatter than I remember, but I guess that old-age catches up with the best of us!

2: The external CGI looked great - not too high-tech, but looked almost like the good old models from the early series.

3: The interiors looked good - better than BTE. Just the right amount of the "BBC cheap-n-nasty" feel to them. Although they could do with a few less LCD screens and a few more CRTs and Commodore 64's!

4: There seems to be more "current-day" swearing than before - what happened to the good old curses like Goit, Gimboid, Gimp, Smegger, etc???

5: Opening and closing credits & music - Great, perfect!

I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on the new series :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

They are models

3. mingle

mingle Third Technician

Ha Ha! Well there ya go - even better!

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

There are other threads that are very active with opinions of RDX, but were upto the last ep in the series this week in the UK so if your only onto the 1st 2nd ep and don't want any spooilers then it might be best to aviod those RDX threads.

My own opinion is that it's a great success, there have been some lows butere are many high points as well.
    Enjoy the rest of the series.

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

My thoughts, with as little spoilers as possible, are that the series has returned to form well. There are a few episodes that are lacking in my opinion (and believe me, there are lots of different opinions on here), but it's great to see the cast back and acting basically how they should on Red Dwarf. It's a definite improvement over series 7 and 8.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll reserve my final judgement until episode 6 has aired, since from what I've heard this could turn out to be the series' standout episode and a possible all-time classic. But so far I've been very impressed with series X. It compares well with series 1 to 4, but doesn't quite reach the heights of 5 and 6.

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

It isn't without its flaws but I love Series x and think it stands up to the other series' to date, and am more than happy and impressed with it. it has taken a lot of weird and experimental routes and every episode is completely different from every other, but every one has some classic moments or lines, cant wait for EP 6!

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I liked Lemons and loved Entangled but I felt Trojan, Fathers and Suns and Dear Dave have been kinda hit and miss. All episodes have great elements but largely so far the many of the episodes have been held back by very unpolished writing.......still it's a step in the right direction.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I have to agree overall series X has some greatness but it also seems the scripts need a few tweaks and a polish over

doug should maybe stick to writing and not the directing

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes I agree 100% with this comment.

PS - Red Dwarf X has been terrible apart from the opening episode.

11. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I thought that Trojan was good, totally hit the mark with it. However, every episode after isn't Red Dwarf. They never talked to the vending machines this much, which is stupid. They used to make a joke, and that was it, not keep the joke going until it dies. I hope the finale will be better and will warrant Red Dwarf XI

12. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I sort of know what you mean, but I really haven't any problems with the computers.

I don't think there really should be a "BBC cheap-n-nasty" feel, as that's never struck me as the intention. The point has always been that Red Dwarf is a pretty low-end 21st Century mining-ship and is fitted with pretty low-end parts as a result. What this boils down to is that we're seeing a ship, built in the future, using today's computer equipment.

20-odd years ago people were using Commodore 64's, so people likened the keyboards and screens on the show to their own. Of course technology has moved on in the last 20 years so now we have average-build PC systems with Windows operating systems :-p

By maintaining the link between present-day and the future where the Red Dwarf is built, we get the same feeling seeing all that equipment on our screens in 2012 as we did seeing C64s in the late 80's. Yeah, inconsistency goes through the window (when did the crew upgrade?) but I believe the idea was to maintain a correlation to the real-world rather than have computers that become increasingly obsolete and couldn't believably control a space ship.

As far as all the screens go, well assuming Holly ever comes back he'll need a few places built into each set to appear in :-)

13. AceRenno

AceRenno Skutter

Ive been fairly impressed with most of "X". I'm going to wait until the DVD release & watch them back to back before I make a proper judgement though.

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I've just realised why Doug had the phone gag in Trojan...

Craig was once a crack addict, which was referenced in BTE2, and when on crack, which makes you horny despite not being able to use archie, and so he was *allegedly* on the phone to a sex line, when he got paranoid delusions that nutters with guns (or maybe armed police) were out to kill him, so he dropped the phone and hid... when he returned to the phone, it was still connected to the call and he had run up several thousand pounds worth of a phone bill... At least I heard this, I have no idea for sure of its truth but if it IS true then there is some Doug inspiration for you :P