RDXI Name mentioned in Give And Take

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Jarvio, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Snacky mentions in Give And Take that he used to serve a crew member who knew Rimmer, and mentions a name. Who was this and what was their relevance? Did I miss something?

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

No relevance, unfortunately.

I think it was just small talk, or he was interrupted from telling him he once served his colleague with a Mars bar or something.

3. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Yet...

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I noticed it too, and mentioned it in the Give & Take thread. Some people surmised that it was possibly a set-up for something that was cut, but they forgot to cut the set-up. That's what it feels like. It just went nowhere, all it did was raise questions.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Wasn't there a competition to "be in Red Dwarf XI" where you had to tweet a link from Dave.

Could Ronald Littlewood have been this person and this was a namecheck rather than a personal appearance?

6. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Wow Bedfordfalls, that just could be it, if so I think you should be cast as the new 'Poirot'
    There was also a Rimmer face in the multi Rimmer monster that was not Chris, I wonder if that may also be the extra as it has had me wondering why ?

7. bedfordfalls

Yes, I spotted that one too and did wonder why it was clearly a different person playing the part given all of the split screen trickery that the show otherwise indulged in. I'd be surprised if some random Joe was given (or Ronald) was given such a prominent piece of acting (well...gurning) to do though. I figured that a cafeteria extra in Samsara was probably the better bet for an actual appearance.

8. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

No, Doug said on Twitter where the name came from after someone asked. Here.

9. bedfordfalls

So he just wanted to give a random shout out to his old music teacher? Well given how thoroughly excellent Give and Take was, I think we can forgive Doug for sparking such intrigue although it's downright hilarious that he cares so much about THAT aspect of continuity given everything else that has lapsed over the years! :P

Now can anyone tell us who the extra Rimmer head was?

10. Underdunn

Underdunn Second Technician

11. bedfordfalls

Wow, good find.

Presumably they were all masks in shooting with Chris controlling the "beast?" or was it done more pantomime horse style? Anyone at the filming care to comment?

12. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Holy Smokes. I'm so surprised they were masks.

Great job production team!!

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

So we know where he plucked the name from production-wise, but we still don't know what the point was plot-wise.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

They were looking for a medibot. They find Snacky who tells Rimmer he's served one of his colleagues. "Aha!" thinks Rimmer. "Confirmation we've found the right droid."

I'm sure it was just part of the misunderstanding gag.

15. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

This is essentially my feeling too.

When I heard it, it really just seemed to be incidental small talk with no significance. I wasn't expecting it to be explained.