neilold is a dark cult

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Sep 27, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

another in my occasional reviews of horror, exploitation and noirs.

today we go waaaaaaay back to 1942 and the noir comedy/drama classic 'all through the night'. This movie takes a slightly lighter look at noir, and stars a cast that pretty much makes it worth seeing before you've even watched it. Bogart is his criminal self that is more angels with dirty faces shyster than Casablanca legend. Peter Lorre, is Peter lorre. which basically means he's awesome. What was it about those eyes and voice that made him look a complete cowering rat, yet also the most psychotic looking and sounding baddie ever. Add in Conrad veidt, Jackie gleason, a young phil Silvers and a wonderful Frank McHugh and you've got a great movie

Noir films will enjoy seeing Edward Brophy in a minor role, getting the bogart semi classic line 'hello Joe, whadya know'

a story involving Nazis in new York ensures a good decent pace, and lots of fun is had. Basically, the movie is worth watching for the new york street talk and slang in itself, only rivalled, in my opinion, by the dead end/east side kids. It's great to here those voices speaking the way they do. The film itself is a break from the ususal grimness of noir and is a joy from start to finish, i won't give too much away, but I can definitely recommend it for fans of the genre, non fans of the genre, and anyone who likes to smile.

opinions please

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    As a HUGE film noir and bigger Bogie fan, yes I've seen it. I own a major percentage of Mr. Bogarts movies as I admire him both as an actor and as a Man. (Estate still puts on a film festival in his honor, I get reduced tickets because I'm a member of his fan club. May go this year http://bogartfilmfestival.com/ ) And yes....... I've been on the boat "The African Queen". Its much smaller than you realize.

But haven't watched this one in a while. Now that you've jogged my memory it will be up soon! Don't remember if I own it or not as my Bogie collection and film noir collection is extensive, to say the least.

3. neilold

Yes I love bogart to, my favourite of his though is key largo. It's funny, I find bogarts movies I like best tend not to be his most famous, I love, they drive by night, simply because of part raft, and anything he's in with lorre, Cagney, etc. I love dead end to, cos he's in with the dead end kids, and as much as I love him, I love Edmund o brien, dick Powell , lorre, Edward g, cotten, greenstreet and the Irish mafia just as much

4. BigOleDummy

Have you seen The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery"? One of the last of the............ "true" noir films. Steve McQueens first major role. Quite dark and very ahead of its time with sub-plots of Homosexuality and quite ambivalent to the mores of its day. Very good movie.

5. neilold

No not seen that one, thanks for the recommendation.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  6. neilold

Have you seen the man with the golden arm?That's a good one, and one of the few to really highlight drug abuse , also being a Sinatra fan means it has extra appeal to me

7. neilold

I always find it funny, whenever anyone mentions film noir, they usually always mention detectives, thanks to bogarts additions to the genre, but actually not that many of them even have detectives in, certainly not like bogarts' anyway. There usually always cops, or gangsters, or hoods, and the women tend to be more often cast as sweethearts than femme fatales as well

8. BigOleDummy

Yep , sure have. I like Sinatra as a actor more than a singer, but that's me. How about "Suddenly"?

9. BigOleDummy

Yep, that's The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery through and through. Very highly recommended.

10. neilold

Have you seen Richard widmark as Tommy udo in kiss of death.!!!! Lol he's SOOOO psychotic in it! It's his face, and then when you here that voice, you just know that there are very few, if any, that can compete with that level of total craziness in any film ever

11. neilold

I prefer sinatra as a singer. The bunco squad is also pretty obscure, but very good

12. neilold

Yes suddenly is good to, waiting for the train, and the tension building up,being a while since I saw it mind

13. neilold

I also like Eli Wallach in the line up, his mad face, and the fact that his partner collects last words, and Is equally bonkers, makes for a good watch

14. BigOleDummy

Also, while not technically noir, its very nourish have you seen Five Minutes to Live? Johnny Cash's first film, pretty good not great.

15. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

BigOleDummy likes this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm still waiting for your rebooted Ant's Old Post(s) of the Day.

Abe likes this.
  17. Ant E

I’m still waiting for any decent thread by you!!!

Take it up with @Seb!! Not my fault he deleted all the old “currently” posts

Abe likes this.
  18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's one here.

19. Ant E

Nah

20. neilold

Yes I have seen five minutes to live, cash is holding the bank blokes wife hostage if I remember right. Meanwhile he's trying to work out a way of getting the money , without arousing suspicion. I quite like it, and the five minutes to live song that cash sings to