New Colour For Rimmer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Jun 26, 2013.

1. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

He's been grey, red, green and blue. In Out Of Time we sew that future Rimmer would turn out to be wearing yellow. Do you think we will get a new colour for XI or will he still be in blue?

Personally I'd like to see a new colour, but which would suit and not look ghastly on screen?

2. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

After finding himself in The Beginning and being released from his past, maybe white would be in order.

Perhaps that idea's a tad naff, but an idea nonetheless :P :?

It shouldn't come over as high-Rimmeresque if you know what I mean.

Besides, white technically isn't a colour ;-)

3. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I was thinking white, but it would perhaps be too bright and wouldn't look right on camera. What about a dark / burnt orange colour. It's new and not exactly garish.

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

While I do like the blue one I think now could be a good time to switch to a new colour. I like the idea of him moving to the yellow costume we saw in 'Out Of Time'. It could be interesting if he switches mid-series...during a time travel episode, perhaps? If nothing else it would certainly raise eyebrows among fans who remember it from 'Out Of Time'. :-)

So far as the green and red costumes go, if Doug is to take the continuity seriously then Rimmer probably shouldn't go back to those colours as apparently they were always intended to represent him having a soft light-bee at the time, whilst blue (along with the yellow for future Rimmer) represents hard light.

All that said though, I have a feeling he'll be wearing the same blue costume next series.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

White. God no, would be too much like Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

I want a return of 'Captain Emerald'. :lol:

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I agree, I like Rimmer's Captain Emerald. Perhaps a black or dark grey too?

7. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I personally thought his Series X costume was the best one of the lot. I never liked the green much, but loved the red for soft-light. But I love the blue so much and it really does work for him when he's with the others and what they all wear. I liked the blue and red colour palette of X in general actually. The four characters looked complimentary, Lister had red and blue scribbles on his jacket, the sets were red and blue, Rimmer is red and blue, Pree was a bit blue, Red Dwarf and Blue Midget etc etc. The odd flashes of gold and yellow on the droids and spacesuits looked really good next to them too.

I always thought Inquisitor was meant to be the series V opener - as Rimmer is seen in his green at the start and then he switches to red immediately after the timeline has been re-ordered. I always took the red suit to be a remnant from the reshuffle and re-order from the alternate reality the Inquisitor had created. I always believed that was maybe the intention to explain the costume change - but then they probably scrapped it as the opener and went with Holoship instead which chucks that theory out the window. I always did wonder why Rimmer was in the green AFTER we saw him in red for Holoship. Maybe there was meant to be a plan for the green to red change but in the end they thought it doesn't matter that much if its not explained - it's just a colour swap like changing a Desktop Wallpaper.

But anyway - I like the blue for hard light and red for soft. To be honest the only thing I didn't like was Rimmer's tiny H. Being back the series V and VI H.

When I saw series X I thought "look at that idiot he's got a baby H!"

9. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Here's a thought - the H is the same colour as his uniform, blue for hard light, red for soft light, same size as the V/VI/VII H, but in a new font. I'd like to see that.

10. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

i was thinking what about a Black Imperial style uniform with a White H from Series 1 & 2

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Dysentery brown

12. JennyDee

JennyDee Third Technician

He has to keep that gorgeous blue. Six episodes wasn't enough!

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, blue has always suited Rimmer best.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes.I'd be happy if they stuck with blue too.

15. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

16. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

[​IMG]

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

So long as it's not Burberry. We don't want a chav Rimmer.

18. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Rimmer is judging you for not liking blue

[​IMG]

19. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

id keep with blue but what about Black like an imperial officer from Star wars type?
    could be slimming

20. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I've often thought black could work - often a colour associated with death, quite fitting for a hologram. Would also go well with Rimmer's slightly fascist leanings too ;-) but I think that he's mellowed too much. Black would have been good for series 1-4 Rimmer.

You'd have to colourise the others though to compensate. I think a black-suited Rimmer would look cool next to a silver Kryten and a colourful Lister (khaki trousers + red London Jets tshirt).

Then again - looking cool isn't really Red Dwarf is it? Maybe black holo Rimmer would be from a universe where everything is badass and slick. Not really our Red Dwarf.