New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

A new sticky thread for the rumoured new series. Post your speculation here!

2. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

Ok ok I want to start. I think the new series will be awesome, and and and red dwarf and starbug will look great and and and Rimmer will be king as always and and craig will blow us away with acting again.

But serious I am all excited. I recently got my GF into red dwarf we watched all the dvds over the past month or so and she loves it now, Rimmer is her favourite and was all disappointed when we watched only the good she as like "...thats it over, the next one is back to earth?" I was like yeah.

But I told her all about this new series rumoured to be about and she cant wait, I want it noooow. I want the dvd now and it isnt even out.

what will the dvd spine do? eeeeps I am all excited now/

3. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

eeeps also I just noticed the board has changed name. After 10 years I am all excited. Thats it I am removing my trousers and not putting them back on till new Dwarf is on.

4. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Rufus hound beat you to it last night, he took everything off on argumental!

5. plagiarize

plagiarize Third Technician

I hope we can keep the amazing production design and CGI expanded sets even if we go back to shooting infront of a live audience. if we don't have a live audience, no laugh track i hope!

It's weird how many things I loved as a child are back or coming back right now in their original forms... Red Dwarf is no exception and if nothing else, I'm glad that my Friday morning date with reddwarf.co.uk will still provide me with exciting news now that the DVDs are all done and BTE has been and gone. Roll on series 9 (and 10 and... well you get the picture).

6. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I have it on good authority that neither Red Dwarf nor Starbug will feature in the new series. The crew are set to be stranded on a tropical planetoid after crash landing there and have to fend for themselves. The entire series is to be shot on location, GNP are curently in talks with the owners of a quarry in Wales.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. You're a sick, sick man Mr Tranter.
    ;-)

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm just hoping that the episodes will be given a longer running time. Squeezing a full story into 23 minutes will be a struggle, and I don't like the idea of more multi-episode stories. I wonder if Dave would allow Doug a 40 minute slot per episode?

9. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I will be happy with anything they produce.
    I have been following RD and the Dwarfers for nigh 10 years and they all seem so, well, real!
    I just think what they do is so unique it has to continue.

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I heard Norman's gonna be coming back as Spare Head 3!

11. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Rimmer becomes intangible again, Lister blows up Blue Midget, Kryten becomes a lobster, and Cat gets a zit.

Sounds fun.

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

My wishes would be:

1. Minimal use of Kochanski; only appearing at the most in flashbacks or in one episode as a cameo used to drive the momentum of the boys adventures.

2. Mac Mcdonald not being in it or again only appearing in flashbacks or a cameo. I know that Doug is in love with him and I have enjoyed his character but series 8 was enough of him as a permanent character.

3. Acknowledge the ages of the characters as they did in Back to Earth and don't have them trying to play young guys . How about the tagline "fat, forty and still far from home" :-) Plenty of new material in playing on the getting older aspect...and Doug should be able to draw from real life experience again :-) As a bonus this will mean we don't ever again have to see LISTER KUNG-FU KICKING A SIMULANT!

4. Keep it to six episodes and NO multi-parters where the story only justifies a one and a half parter

5. No humour revolving around atrocious toilet humour visual gags like the pubes on soap, period and Archie stuff from series 8.

6. A Cat episode!

13. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Totally agree with Bedfordfalls on the no visual toilet humour plan. I’m far from being a prude but to me it just doesn’t fit into Dwarf.
    I really don’t mind how big a part Kochanski plays as I’ve always liked her character. Six 30 minute standalone episodes would be great especially with an audience.

14. MatthewJudge

MatthewJudge Skutter

Hi Andrew, it was good to meet you at the convention last week. I was the guy with the red dwarf card with one of your crew member friends on, or so you though.

I'm guessing for the new red dwarf, more references to pop culture, such as the coronation street part, (did you use corrie to p** the beeb off? haha)

would love to see more 'bunk room' scenes like the old days. Maybe a one story arc would be an interesting approach if the story is going to continue from BTE with Lister attempting to find Kochanski.

Dwayne Dibley should make an appearance though

15. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Who else thinks that nothing we guess at will be right and Doug is going to completely surprise us with a plot that none of us will ever see coming???

16. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Yeah it has crossed my mind several times

17. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yeah, we really havn't seen enough of a largely one joke character playing a firmly one joke character. The Dibley family was in no way overkill!!! :roll:

On a serious note, Dwayne Dibley reappearing for a forth time really would give eveyone who argues Doug has no original ideas left enough ammunition to blow a simulant warship out of the sky. New concepts please, not recycled "fan favorites".

19. DaleBennett

DaleBennett Third Technician

Loveee it! New series, awesomme :-D Should they answer the cliff hanger...god knows, i dont really care im just pleased its coming back... I think they should try revert back to the style they had in series 6, quick witty gags...which red dwarf has always had... I cant even guess what i think its about, but i hope the new series doesnt revolve around lister trying to find kochanski, but if it happens you never know....i hope for the best... Roll on series 9..or 10..or 11....forget it just start at one again...whoever suggested red dwarf reloaded...its a good idea.

20. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Hiya. Yeah, that card - I was SO sure, too... :-(