New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

To clarify, I've nothing against Chloe as an actress, I thought she was brilliant in BTE and pretty good in series 8 (it was the way her character was written during 7 as an odd mish-mash of existing characters that I disliked intensly).

I like Mac Mcdonald too even though again, I'm not a fan of how Hollister was written in later episodes of 8.

I simply don't think that at this stage of the game either are relevent to or necessary to have around as regular cast members no matter how fun they might be to work with when there is a story to be told with the original boys from the Dwarf.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I've said alot of opinions on this thread which hopefully don't contradict this one, or maybe I've already said it;
    But I have to admit, I'd love these next 2 series (hopefully 2) to be like the back to earth specials which just seemed better than series VII somehow - I hope they also start of with the core 4 members, then they re-enable holly and bartikovsky perhaps, then find kochanski, and then find even more crew. So as you see I think the show is great with the core characters, but I think the next series should be even more daring than series 3 or VII and expand the crew more and maybe even prepare the fans for a movie - plotwise.

3. tarkett85

tarkett85 Skutter

bte was okay but if series 9 is made i would like to see ace rimmer return, i know the character couldn't be our rimmer but still cool stoke me a clipper i'll be back for christmas (classic:-(shock:

4. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I'm starting to become less and less confident that a new series will be made as the weeks go on.

Obviously i'm hoping and praying, but it just seems to have been forgotten about. No announcements/clues/hints or anything.

5. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Keep the faith! Last we heard was that it will film in January so we have a while yet, we'll start to hear rumbling soon, probably first get to hear from Rob about getting his Kryten mask done in November or December.

6. betelgeuse

As far as I can tell havn't the production and filming dates been announced to the cast? I'd say DAVE have given new red dwarf the OK (this backed up by the fact llewellyns carpool has also been commisioned as a parallel) craig charles 'announced' on janice longs radio 2 show that new red dwarf was in the pipeline to be made in Jan 2011 , and that there would be 2 series and not just the one...and chris barrie and robert llewellyn have also given statements vaguely backing craigs sudden announcement.

I'd say new red dwarf is definately on the way..
    however, when it will air (or be made) will probably be in the next 3 years, and how good it will be is 'up in the air'!

7. LostSoul_301281

LostSoul_301281 Skutter

Hi, I'm new here, but since reading about the rumors of new seasons, I thought I'd register and leave my own comments/hopes for this new seasons.

Personally, I thought season 8 was a little too OTT with the comedy.
    Like it was trying too hard to b e funny.
    Season 7 on the other hand was absolutely amazing.
    It took RD to another level.
    It moved from being a sci-fi comedy to a sci-fi drama-comedy.
    The comedy was moved into the background, so to speak, and more work/effort/emphasis went into a solid story.
    I'd love to see the new Dwarf season(s) moving in this direction.

What else can I say?

8. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Welcome to the forum.:-D

That might crystalise the differences of opinion on series VII and VIII. Perhaps many dislike the drama-comedy style of series VII compared to the comedy driven previous series. Alternatively, some might prefer the comedy of previous series to the gags in series VII which seem to fall flat so often. I don't think there was any less emphasis on humour in series VII; I think the humour was simply not as funny. Frankly, I don't think the world needs another Star Trek. I think the world could still use another humourous spin on science fiction cliches and tropes, which continue to change with the times.

9. LostSoul_301281

LostSoul_301281 Skutter

What I thought was really special about 7 was that it seemed more heartfelt.
    Rimmer leaving, Kochanski coming in(albeit from an alternative universe) and finding out about Lister and who his parents were.
    Season 8 seemed to try too hard to be funny, where as the drama element of 7 seemed to arrive as a natural progression.
    Season 7 reminds me of something like Scrubs.
    It's got a serious story in the background, but creates funny situations, and some times bring the serious element to the front.

10. Rob1976

Rob1976 Skutter

I love Red Dwarf and I want more!!

11. plasmo1

plasmo1 Skutter

Me too!!!!!!

12. betelgeuse

me three.

13. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Last night "Dave" screened the entire series II, i'm hoping they are beginning to warm up the audience ready for an earlier than thought new series. Wishfull thinking as i know there was talk of recording early next year.

15. betelgeuse

yeah i watched some of that. :-)

16. robby9

robby9 Skutter

Oh good news, I hope they do make a new series, and hope that if so it will be better than the one they did not long ago which I didn't find very good.
    I'm rewatching the whole of RD and did 5 episodes of season1 last night, excellent. I've seen it all before so I'm looking forward to when Kryten joins which, in my opinion, made the show as opposed to when Kitchanski (spelling?) joined, I never liked her she was up her own a?s.

17. Tabitha

Tabitha Skutter

Wow! just started watching this, watched all 9 seasons in 2 days and then watched them again up to 6. Soooo exited about possablity of new seasons in 2011, just hope it's true :-D

18. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the show!

I hope we find soon enough about the new series, possibly it will be in November/December when Robert Llewellyn needs to get the head cast (that is if they are filming in January as Craig said was planned).

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Would he need to get another head cast if the new series is that soon?

20. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Welcome Tabitha! It would be great to be able to take a new series for granted. Unfortunately, it's really still just rumour. But as long as folk such as you are discovering the show for the first time, Red Dwarf will live on.