New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MarleenK

MarleenK Third Technician

Love the subforum rename. That is all... [buggers off]

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Why don't you think that would be a good idea? As far as I can see it would be the perfect maguffin to give motivation to their adventures and a necessity for them to explore strange new areas of space. It would also, in my opinion, put Kochanski (and Chloe) back in the position the character is best used in. A small role, portraying an ideal for the main character to chase.

In a sense Red Dwarf has always been about Lister pursuing Kochanski. Getting to Earth was only ever part of the plan, but without the lady to ride the horse in a white dress (loved seeing that recognised in a photo in BTE by the way) it would always have been incomplete.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree.

Also, the 'quest to find Kochanski' needn't be the central story of each episode any more than searching for Red Dwarf was central to series 6 and 7. It's there in the background, the trail to follow... each episode would be an adventure that happens along the way.

4. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

That's exactly right. The crew need a sense of purpose, a quest of some kind. The adventures are the things that happen on the way.
    The search for Red Dwarf was a good device, it's just a shame they found it. :-)

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Quick prediction. New series will be a quest for Kochanski....and Kochanski will eventually be discovered to have been aboard Red Dwarf all along on the farthest side of the ship from the rest of the crew....that is all for now!

6. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I hear Doug's interested in using models again... Personally I think I would like that, I allways preferred models over the CGI, CGI was good and the model could be shot against green screen but I preferred the models better

7. DaleBennett

DaleBennett Third Technician

True, lol guess i never thought of it like that, what I'm getting at is that if they focused to heavily on a kinda love story across space it may be more drama-ey lol, I didn't mind back to earth, it was a good offering to say they had 10 years off, but in my opinion Red Dwarf has never been at its best in its more drama-ey episodes if you get what I mean. Just my opinion. But it could work if it happens, if it does work then great. If the idea actually happens in the way you put it, i wouldnt mind at all, youv shed a bit of light on it lmaao

8. Kris-Carter

Kris-Carter Skutter

My hopes for the series....

• Filmed without an audience, but shown to an audience to get a laughter track afterwards, like Series VII. I really missed the laugh track in BTE...

• Six episodes - six stand alone episodes. No over-arcing story, no multi parters, and no sodding cliffhangers!

• I'm not bothered anymore about resolving continuity bits or cliffhangers, or gaps between series etc... I'd prefer six brand new, original stories that are funny. Not bothered if Holly and/or Kochanski are there or not - as long as the four main guys are there.

• Production values like BTE - more of that please! It was awesome. And if Mike Seymour can oversee the vis fx, all the better!

9. Lancebastion

Lancebastion Skutter

I don't really see why the characters need any motivation to have adventures. They had plenty of them before series 6 and some would argue better ones at that!

10. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Now I'm of a totally opposite opinion regarding the audience. For me, their main purpose is to enliven the casts performance. I just think an audience brings out the best in them. I'd rather not have laughter added afterwards and I didn't miss it by part 2 of BTE.

11. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Hmm, guesses, eh? Well, in practice these sorts of things are "what we want in the new series"

* If there are to be other writers brought in, I certainly wouldn't object to Andrew grabbing a pen. He was involved with script editing, and he certainly seems to have a good grasp of what is good about Dwarf (well, judging by the articles he has written on the site)

* BtE implies that there will be a story based around finding Kochanski, and I agree that it would be a good idea to give the series shape. However most of the episodes shouldn't dwell on it too much, kinda like how series VI mentioned the search for Red Dwarf but still have contained stories.

* Doug should write whatever he is comfortable with, and he seems to excel at the comedy drama style. If he wants to do that, then he should keep doing that.

12. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I have heard no rumours (other than the posts above!).............. but here's what I'd like........

30 minute episodes, with no advert breaks in the middle.
    Real live audience laughing in the background
    Some kind of Holly back on RD (just make them deadpan and funny)
    Lots of dialogue
    Lots of laughs.

I think that'll do for now.

As for plots..........
    -Kryten goes into overdrive in an effort to clean up RD and in the process come across spare head 4 and spare body 2. Then havoc breaks out!
    -Rimmer loses his memory and believes Lister has hidden the crew somewhere........

Oh, those are rubbish ideas. Just make us laugh, that's all we want.

RAGE

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

alot of viewers and reviewers took a bite out of doug naylor for BTE showing how little faith in his writing, and i hope he puts an effort to show them up, even if i am one of them :-)

what i want is...
    30 min shows,
    original clever storys,
    not to many back references,
    work the storys around there age (an older ace rimmer just wouldnt look right),
    6 episodes all written by doug naylor,

and most of all not a similar formular for every show, like a bunkroom scene at the start of every episode before the story starts

14. bedfordfalls

Sorry but I think you might have missed my point. Contrary to what you've written there WAS no visual image of what was on the double polaroid or scenes showing "underage shagging". Like Rimmer having sex with a blowup doll, these things were only hinted at or mentioned in passing, the audiances mind could make the connection without it being shown to them and crossing the line in terms of clever humour becoming insultingly visual and obvious.

Contrast that to the pubes scene which could have been funny (in a gross way) right up until Doug Naylor felt he had to actually SHOW us the pubes, as if we wouldn't have grasped what Lister was doing otherwise. Totally unecessary and belying any sense of class the show used to have; that scene represents everything that was wrong with Series 8 in that Doug apparently didn't know when to stop but always pushed the jokes one line too far. This is where an editor should have come in and reiterated that less is more and that making his audiance think will always get a bigger laugh than rushing up to them with a picture of something gross saying "look, look at this, its funeh!"

Completely agree with you about the erection scene though. The only thing that renders it even vaguely watchable is that thankfully that's one area where Doug knew where to draw the line and didn't feel the need to show us embarrasing fake erections!

15. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

What I'd like is something that looks and feels like the first third of BTE with small reference as to what happened to the rest of the crew/resolution to the series VIII cliffhanger. Plus no establishing BTE Rimmer as the original hologram due to 'Elation Squid' shenanigans per commentary possibilties.

Much prefer the BTE hologram to be a product of the series VIII cliffhanger. Some kind of metaphor for dying and being brought back as a hologram. Maybe.

16. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I loved Rachel, the double polaroid is an all time classic scene and the butt print on the golf course. All these things are not shown which make them funnier.
    The happy period was also great and I've done similar things in real life (and I'm still here to tell the tale!) I think what did it for me was the visual gags of the basketball game and the pubes in the soap. Gross!

17. bedfordfalls

And nobody is saying that isn't the case. The point we are arguing is that in all of your examples there was a point where the line was drawn. We all knew Lister wasn't really humping Kryten, Lister wasn't shown stark naked grinding away against the AR machine (or indeed shown grinding away against it at all this was just something Rimmer hinted he'd seen), similarly there was no visual of what was going on inside the tent.
    Your other examples don't fall into toilet/sexual humour category at all (unless kissing is now the same thing as having sex). The exploding head sequence DID happen off screen but even if it hadn't it wouldn't have been out of place in a typical sci-fi setting.

Series 8 on the other hand gave us a man cutting off a tuft of his own pubic hair and visually sprinkling it all over a bed and some soap. Would the joke not have worked equally well if Doug had left it at the point where lister is seen unzipping his flies with the scissors in hand. I think so and I'm pretty sure that's where the previous series would have left it.
    In series 8 though every joke is overplayed one line too long and every scene overstreched. I don't know what went wrong in the editing process with this series; I can only presume their wasn't enough material.
    The period scene was another one, The "Have a fantastic period" reveal was funny, then Doug couldn't leave it at that and had to include a gift wrapped tampon!

It's not that I'm being prudish, I simply appreciate clever humour that allows the audiances mind to fill in the gaps (the double polaroid being a great example of this), something like that is and always will be far funnier to me than crude visual gags about pubes, penises, tampons and erections. people can watch crap like Dirty Sanchez and Jackass if they want to see that, not what used to be an intelligent comedy that, while having a fundamental laddishness (urgh, I hate that word) about it didn't rely on out and out crassness.

Thankfuly Doug seems to have put a lid on it for BTE and we wern't treated to a visual of lister spreading his cheeks for the hot air dryer! :shock:

18. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Not so much speculation but some ideas for Doug to have (or anyone involved to pass on free of charge) for some ge out and story concepts

Ok here we go - The Lovett/Holly workaround - Assuming that Norm the grump monster wants no more to do with RD they need a solution...they could keep holly offline but then that does kinda mean the ship is carreering through deep space with no guidance and could hit Suns and planetiods willy nilly.
    So heres a thought - Follows on from the mirrorverse Dwarf idea I posted a while ago. With Holly down and the skutters trying to fix him/her the real Red Dwarf Backup computer, Ivy, kicks in. Ivy's (the Holly and the Ivy, geddit?) main function (apart from stopping the dwarf from crashing into something) is to assist in the Repair of Holly as quickly as possible. I see Ivy As old school mistress with 50s style Dame edna glasses.
    Anyhoo, Holly needs a complete reboot but in order to preserve Hollys memories and personality (even though the original graphic and vocal files have been corrupted. heh see what I did there) the mem/personality file needs to be uploaded into Rimmer until repairs can be completed, resulting in Rimmer having a bit of a split personality (queue Barries impersonation skills). Turns out theres some parts which can't be repaired and the only way to fix Holly is to locate one of RD's sister ships and salvage the componants. Ivy locates another Dwarf class shipdrifting in space. It is almost completely lifeless and has a large SPacecorp test ship smashed into its side leaving an obviously skutter patched hole in it side, the test ship having now become part of the ship.
    Onboard second dwarf (White Dwarf/Yellow Dwarf/Blue Dwarf take your pick) the crew find a glitchy, damaged, psychotic Computer and that ships soft light Hologram - The SpaceCorp Test Pilot who crashed into the ship killing the entire crew and Rimmers older more successful brother (Lets say Frank)Yet another Rimmer thats managed to kill the entire crew of a ship. But Frank wants Rimmer's Hardlight drive and if he gets it they'd lose our Rimmer (good) but also lose Holly (bad) . SO our crews task is simple...get in, grab the parts and get out with a mentally deranged computer, Rimmer's brother and an army of deranged skutters constantly on their heels trying to kill them.

Ok Doug take it away!

Another concept - Now that the Dwarf has turned round is heading back they're going to start experiencing the 'Onion effect' Layer upon layer of earth influence spreading out into space. the closer to earth they get the more they'll encounter. Starting off with deep space probes and then more gelfs, similants, simuloids, Cat races more derelilcts etc etc

19. bedfordfalls

I was under the impression that this was the explanation for them encountering more and more 'non-aliens' and Space Corps derelicts in the latter 5 series and that they had turned around some time ago. Although this doesn't tie in with Lister's claim in Future Echoes that "its gonna take 4000 years just to turn around", we can perhaps assume he was exagerating.

Incidently I've just thought of another thing I hope we don't see in the new series: jokes about "Batman outfits".

Seriously, that joke has now appeared in some form in 3 different episodes; Camille, Epideme and Pete part 1. It's getting as bad as Craig and his 'dildonics' routine!

20. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

was Camille not a spider-man costume?