New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Why is it being called Series X? BTE was set "after Series X" so wouldn't it make more sense to call this Series XI?

Anyways, in terms of what I'd like to see:

* Hattie back (or a brand-new Holly?),
    * Holly episode-into scenes like in Series I and I,
    * Bunkroom fun (I was gutted the Price Smashers bunk scene from BTE was removed,
    * More focus on scripts and gags,
    * Studio audience.

2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

More jokes for the over 80's

3. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    The series 9 and 10 in BTE weren't real. They were part of an hallucination. Which part of that is giving you trouble? BTE could be called series 9 so logically it would be series ten.

4. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Yes, I understand that, I'm not dumb! I just thought if we're skipping Series IX then we might as well skip Series X aswell. It says on BTE that it's set after Series X, and although it's an hallucination I think it's pointless skipping Series IX and not X aswell. I think the joke would be stronger starting from Series XI because we know the missing two Seasons were hallucinations in BTE but Series XI would suggest the two seasons were real, along with everything that happened in them within that missing 9 years (such as Kochanski leaving).

5. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Or it might suggest, as I said, that BTE is series 9.

6. jd05uk

jd05uk Third Technician

I always thought it would be great to have both hollys. Norman could be assigned to the Dwarf and Hattie to Starbug and Blue Midget. Although that said this might cause confusion with the audience, and would both hollys be the same computer?

7. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Okay, here's my two euros worth;

- It looks like Norman is an absolute no-go, so if Holly is brought back as a character, no doubt Hattie would be thrilled to have the role again. I certainly wouldn't complain.

- I think the show could go in a really interesting direction if it scraps the studio audience and laugh-track. I make no apologies for saying that Series V is my clear favourite. I loved the darker storylines and more dramatic atmosphere and Mad Rimmer in Quarantine just shows that funny and sinister can easily go hand in hand. I also think that the last 10 minutes or so of BtE was frankly gripping.

- The main problem with BtE, and there really was only one, is that it's a sitcom script filmed like a drama, which is why it doesn't quite gel at times, mainly in the first third. If Doug knows that a studio audience is off the cards, I think just a little shift in writing and performance style could work wonders and completely rejuvinate the show.

- The characters need a little sprucing up; they were becoming a little too two-dimensional by the eighth series. In the same way that BtE really opened up Lister's character, I think the same could be done for the others too. We don't need to be hit round the head with the fact that the Cat is vain. We get it! It was established long ago. It's time to move on and explore him a little further. Which brings me to:

- A Cat episode! It's LONG overdue and if it can be anywhere near as good as Identity Within promised to be, it will certainly become a classic.

- Where did the crew go? If over a decade has passed since they all left the ship it might be interesting to see what happened to some of them. Did they manage to find an S3 planet to colonise? Also, with the time/space continuum being as unstable as it is in the RD universe, what if when the Dwarfers find the crew again, centuries have passed from the crew's perspective? What will their civilisation be like? Especially if Petersen had anything to do with its creation?

That's all I can think of for now (thank God I hear you cry!). I might come up with some more points later, as I'm in the middle of a Dwarf marathon at the mo. Series VI, here I come!

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Nail on the head. Much as I loved BTE the parts where it suffered were the bits that felt like a sitcom was being forced into a very unsitcommy feeling show.

9. DwarferFan

DwarferFan Third Technician

I find it quite uplifting that people are talkin more about the writing than the look of a new series.

I agree with the comments that BTE was a sitcom shot like a drama.

I won't mind want cosmetic changes they make to show as long as the writing is as good as Pre Series 7.

I mean the leap between Series 1 to Series 3 was gigantic, but we accepted it because the show became funnier than before.

So I'm too not bothered as long as it's as funny as Pre Series 7.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

*waffle mode engaged*
    Well, i would like to see Mac McDonald back as captain (as well as other past crew members), and since he was in the origonal draft of BTE, that seems quite likely. i hope it will just be in initial flash backs though, so that the main charactors can be concentrated on .

a couple of dialoge heavy, charactor driven ep's would be nice (marooned, series 1 & 2 style) but i'd also love to see at least one ep where they meet some sort of alienesque creature again. polymorph 3 mabe ?, or perhaps we could find out that the (chicken)Quagaars actualy do exist after all. i for one would love to see the cat trying to catch a roasted chicken (to eat) whilst it chases bob the skutter around the ship :-),..ok mabe not. actualy i would prefere to see a brand new beastie, and i really wouldn't expect too many back references in this series, it will, after all, be a completely different animal than BTE....a tall
    space-aged positively possessed zebra perhaps ?. erm,yeah.
    i also look forwards to seeing Holly back full time , by the way, i no longer believe that norman will return (which i personely think is a real shame) but hey, as i've said before i'm more than happy to see Hattie reprise the role.(would still love a Queeg cameo though) and i still like the idea of the search for Kotchanski.

As for rumours (and raptures) we've heard that there might be a live audiance (as apposed to a dead one;-)) but i can't really see that happening. yes the cast would probably prefere it (especialy mr.Barrie) and they obviously react well to a crowd, but it just doesn't seem logical for the direction(and budget) of the show.

it would be nice if Ed bye has some involvment in the series this time, allthough i do think Doug has proved himself a good director for dwarf. mabe they could split the ep's between them.
    i also hope there will be more than 6 ep's, and if so, would actualy welcome a two parter (yes, you heard me) complete with Xtended directors cut on the dvd.

I do think it's important that Dave give them a longer time slot. at very least 30 mins (not including the ads) i feel this would suit dougs writing style better and would probably make for a much better series.

...To be continued

11. bedfordfalls

I personally think we've seen enough of Hollister in series 8 where his character became a cartoonish panto villain with all that ridiculous "dennis the donut boy" stuff and being more focussed on what was going on in the prison than solving Red Dwarf's actual problems.
    I'm bemused as to how he would have been used in BTE but I'm glad he wasn't. Doug seems to be in love with MAc as a person though so I've no doubt we will see him back.

Most people seem to want this but also conveniently forget that the last time we got one it turned out to be Duct Soup an episode on many people's least liked list.

One episode maybe but I wouldn't want to see a return to Monster of the week, there are other less easy elements of Science fiction for the show to explore that don't involve "monsters". I want to see another polymorph about as much as I want to see a Duane Dibley episode. Original ideas please!

I might be wrong but I think Chris Barrie cited not wanting to work in front of an audiance anymore as one reason he left the show. Has he since expressed a change of heart?

Controversial! I'd prefer 6 self contained episodes, leave the longer ideas for Xmas specials as I've yet to see a single multiparter that was 100% succesful.

12. Freeborn

okay, since i'm unable to fit in all the quotes , i will try to reply in cronalogical order.

Whilst i agree that mac became a bit...animated at times, i thought his overall performance and charactor was good in series 8, and was a worthy return after such a long absence. but as i said, i would only want him back in some initial flashbacks. to fill in the gaps- so to speak. along with Ace,whom i forgot to mention before.
    I'm not quite sure how Hollister would've fit into BTE either though to be honest. i guess it must've been a very different script back then.

DUCT SOUP: I actualy think there are as many people that like this ep, as there are that dislike it. some recent threads on here have proven that. Personally i like it. it's not a classic like marooned, but then one of the main ingridients of the show was missing. but he came back! and some of the Rimmer/Lister 'bunk scenes' were great in series 8.imo

NEW IDEAS: As i said, i would prefer and expect new beasties/creaturs/ideas, and allthough i was just being tongue in cheek regarding polymorph 3, i actualy wouldn't mind it if it was done well, i mean i personally thought emohawk was an excellent sequal. i do undersand concerns that if certain things are brought back just to please the hardcore fans it could be disasterous, but i believe that Doug et al will now know where to draw the line. and it CAN be a fine line. for example, i admit that i do cringe slightly every time i see the dibbly family(i love duane in the other ep's he's in) and that tarrantino spoof, in what, in my opinion, is an otherwise excellent (xtended) episode.

STUDIO AUDIANCE. Chris Barrie makes it very clear, in the BTE-making of-part 2, that he would prefer there to be a live audiance. and to be honest i can't remember him ever saying otherwise. unless you ment him stating 'production problems' as one of his reasons for leaving in 7 ?.

TWO PARTERS. i can't deny that pete part 2 certainly has it's problems, but i think the right story could work well that way, especialy if origonaly written to be that way (and if Dave will allow the ep's to be longer if need be) and they could still have 6 self contained episodes too. And wouldn't it be great to theorize on these forums,during and inbetween a 2 parter?... and if you think thats controversial, wait till you get a load of this...are you ready?..here goes... I love, and i mean LOVE the blue midget/cat dancing scene. that is all:-)

13. Freeborn

...Actually i tell a lie. that is not all.
    i do realize that i seem to be of the minority as far as the blue midgit dance, but i honestly dont get why so many dwarfers dislike it. i mean it's just a fun scene. and it fits the story due to it just being an hallucination. i'm not afraid to swear on the holy custard stains and declare that i like it so much that i actualy tracked back to watch it again the last time i watched that ep. i'm serious...i guess we all have our different tastes though, but surly i'm not the only one on here that enjoys that scene.?. am i ?...anyone?.....bah,.okay please feel free to throw dinosaur eggs at me. *pink crash helmet on stand by* :-)

14. Starwithastar

Starwithastar Catering Officer

I'm wondering if jd05uk's been reading my mind (or my notebook)....funnily enough, I've been trying to write a Red Dwarf episode that deals with my version of what happened when Kochanski disappeared off in a Blue Midget [and was alleged by Kryten to have died]....in my script/story, she's getting perhaps unreasonably wound up about a lot of little things and one of the possible reasons for it was pretty similar to what jd05uk said in the first quote (above) - e.g. she's really hormonal and weepy and irritable but perhaps doesn't know the exact reason why until after she's left the ship.

Also, in my story, another character (Kochanski's younger cousin who I invented, who somehow improbably travels through time and space and conveniently ends up on her favourite cousin's ship, yes I'm aware that's pretty unfeasible even for fictional comedy!) turns up on the Red Dwarf and hides in a Blue Midget...which happens to be the very one Kochanski does a runner in...and somehow manages to reactivate female Holly, who's even scattier than usual as she hasn't been switched on for several years (not as a girl, anyway). Maybe if I ever get the story/script (I might turn it into a story as I'm more used to writing them, but it's a script at the moment) out of the planning stages - I've written one scene since about May or June! - I might post it here...on the basis of course that nobody's allowed to steal any of my ideas unless they're putting them into a real Red Dwarf episode(!!) and that everyone who reads it remembers that it's my re-imagining of the facts/characters/situations rather than what I'd actually expect Doug Naylor etc to do. Sorry for such long sentences - I'm not feeling that well today (combination of lack of sleep and possible throat infection), and when I get a bit waffly when I'm tired. (No, Talkie Toaster, I did NOT say I wanted waffles! Or toast. Smeg off, you little electronic gimboid.) I'd better get on with my work now!!!!:roll:;-)

15. jd05uk

jd05uk Third Technician

One good plot would be to have an episode exlusively featuring Jim & Bexley searching for their Dad (Lister), but accidentally stumbling onto the Cat's Ark where they here exaggerated tales of this God like superbeing - which of course as we know are untrue. They somehow guide the ship back towards the Dwarf but they collide. How this would be resolved I have no idea.

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Niiii-iiiice. :-)

17. Freeborn

I'd go along with that,mostly. apart from the no multi- parters bit obviously;-)

Parallel universe is not to everyones taste, but i'd allways hoped for a sequal to that ep too. it was the second ep i ever saw and remember being slighty dissapointed that we never saw a reunion. so mabe i'm a bit bias and nostalgic, but it's certainly a favourite of mine.

18. bedfordfalls

I wonder if enough time has now passed for Bexley to have done "the largest splits he'll ever do in his life".

19. STAR_PIRATE

STAR_PIRATE First Technician

Hi it's been a while since I posted anything on here... But I would like to say that Back To Earth was brillient... But when the smeg are you going to do series 9... I have been waiting years... And I expect others have too...:evil:

20. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Patience, my friend...

Scripts are being mulled over, shooting, I believe, is lightly penciled in for the end of next year, so expect it to air at around March to June time 2011.*

So when I said patience, I wasn't kidding!

* By the way, I'm completely guessing all this from what I've read on the forum. Please don't take it as gospel.:-)