New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

:P Very possibly. although i think to be in his mid twentees (as Rimmer said he was) they may need to wait a few years. series 12 mabe?....not that precise continuity has ever been a major concern with dwarf;-)

2. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

But if 200 years were spent in stasis between series 5 and 6, Jim and Bexley are probably long dead.

3. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

If it were just 6 episodes I like it to be something like

4 episodes like marooned or series 1 and 2 with lots of dialogue going on, as for me the dialogue is what makes/made Red Dwarf as great as it is.

2 episodes meeting aliens and with more of an expanded storyline, like Back To Reality

I am one of the RD fans who think Duct Soup was a great episode (not least because of the Marx Bros. reference!), and I'd welcome more like that, although if I was made to pick a style of writing and humour to go for, then I'd pick series 2. Queeg and Kryten were excellent episodes and worked so well. As for 2 parters........... no thanks. Keep then single, keep them funny.

RAGE

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Nah, remember he was already 18 when he was returned to his mother so he should definately have done the splits by now. Fortunately for him the creator of his universe rarely applies causality or continuity so he might as well not worry about it. Lucky for Bexley he has such a forgetful creator! :-)

presuming Deb Lister and her crew didn't do likewise, it seems to be mainly gender/speicies roles that are different in that universe but most other events (minus Hilly inventing a hop drive) seem to happen the same way.

Speaking of Deb, it seems she's found a way back to this universe anyway if this article is anything to go by:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/norfolk/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8005000/8005950.stm

Although the article fails to mention her, that's clearly Deb Lister in the photo!

5. STAR_PIRATE

STAR_PIRATE First Technician

Any news on the RedDwarf movie that's been mulled over for the last few years...:idea:

6. bedfordfalls

It's currently shelved due to lack of funding but at least we are hopefully getting a new series which will continue the same continuity rather than being the reboot the movie would have been.

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

8. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I would like to see the movie someday though, be it on Cinema, TV, book, story boarded (comic book), of even just the script as I relly wanted to know what the movie would have been like.

9. STAR_PIRATE

We will probably be all old before a movie happens, at least we won't care... just think Lister with a walking stick... Cat lost all his hair etc... at least there's some hope of a series 9... :twisted:

10. bedfordfalls

I think a stage production has been hinted at somewhere at some point. Basically though as far as we can tell the movie would have been a retelling of the original story of how they all came together with a nasty monster for them to overcome (aganoids) to provide the usual final act Hollywood drama. Presumably Doug would have wanted to go on and do movie sequels hence his plans to finish the TV series at the end of 8 with the later scrapped "Earth" ending.

Personally I don't think that would have been a satisfying ending to the series at all so I'm glad the movie didn't happen and we get a continuation of the TV show. As interesting as I find the alternate continuity in the books to be, it's the TV show I've invested 20 odd years of my life in and so that's the RD project I want to see live on above all others (or at least reach a satisfying conclusion).

11. STAR_PIRATE

Yeah! I think your probably right bedfordfalls... But lets hope if series 9 is done it is as good or better than Back To Earth... or the previous series's 1-8... ;-)

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The agonoids were from Rob Grant's novel Backwards. The bad guys in the film are called Homo Sapienoids, and from what I understand (which isn't a lot of course) they're something else, although cybernetic in nature. Aganoids are basically simulants.

13. bedfordfalls

Yes your right, my mistake. I think the homosapienoids were supposed to be the evolution of humanity, the melding of man and machine who had wiped out the rest of the "normal" humans.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yeah, that's how I interpreted them too. They might have been interesting. Of course the New Cybermen have similar origins but I'm sure there is plenty of room to manoeuvre with that concept.

15. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

A few thing the show should have:
    ace rimmer
    cat episode
    more than 6 episode
    a live audience and/or laugh track
    a flash back episode showing what happens at the end of series 8
    some flash back episode to explain off series 9
    maybe a return episode to something that happed in a previous series like running into the simulant babe again
    more than just a series 10.
    A movie
    maybe meet some real aliens this time...maybe a funny type of grey

16. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    That has been one of the main features of Red Dwarf - no aliens whatsoever. I think that is a really nice touch for a scifi show set in space.

17. bedfordfalls

yeah, I agree that there not being aliens keeps the show more original and unique than other Sci-fi out there. I rather hope we've seen the last of Gelfs too, truth be told (unless it involves making Identity Within) as they've become rather overused as stock baddies and the crew apparently having a higher effects budget than the show for "beyond a joke" was really rather silly.

Craig Charles has said he had a script in mind that somehow tied into the UFO sightings on Earth though so maybe we might have seen some "greys" if that had been greenlit. Thankfully (in light of his stand up comedy efforts and "the log") it wasn't.

18. bedfordfalls

I think my partner missed that as it was hardly made astoundingly clear given that the Gelf's we see later are not really anything at all like the gelf introduced in Camille and then forgotten about for two series.

When the "Gelf Zone" suddenly appeared in series 6 with the crew and Kryten seemingly having picked up full knowledge of these "untrustworthy scavengers" she was very confused and asked me what happened to the "alone in space premise" she wasn't entirely convinced by my harking back to Camille as a justification.

Considering we watched the show pretty much back to back I can imagine how confused some people who watched the show years apart would have been.

19. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Yeah the GELFs are effectivly aliens but it is still quite nice to have the 'no aliens' rule.

20. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've gotta say that that was one of the brilliant ideas about Red Dwarf. It's a sci-fi programme, set in space but there's no aliens! That was another reason I liked the show so much. Star Trek made all the aliens look like humans with bumps on their heads, and any uk low budget production would have gone in the same direction, just looking much much much cheaper. Keeping it alien free really worked well. I guess that's why I love Silent Running too!!!

GELF's were a bit of a naughty addition, but I think we can let them get away with it.

RAGE