New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

One thing I do hope for in a new series that I don't think many people have mentioned yet:

Music by Howard Goodall.

although some of the stock music used over the years has been okay, nothing quite sets the scene and "feel" of Red Dwarf for me like Howard's compositions.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I think they should use existing tracks in a tarantino-esque way, I liked the lack of laughter track in the Back to Earth speicals but there needs to be more music.

3. red_dwarf_forever

red_dwarf_forever Skutter

PLEASE I HOPE RED DWARF COMES BK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

As Beetlejuice has said I also want continuity as it's good for the series to flow through well. Continuity errors have always bugged me, although some I can live with, but others are just plain annoying. So in the new series it should flow on from BTE maybe explaining the stuff between VII, BTE and IX.

I'd say sort out the connections to the past and then concentrate on a series I/II styled show where not a lot happens in special effects, but lots of funny witty dialogue keeps everyone entertained.

RAGE

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Continuity yes, recycled plots and batman-outfit jokes: no thanks!

Long term continuity for an overall plot arc is great and should be applauded but recycling old ideas should be done as scarcely as possible and in some cases never: Yes I'm talking about YOU Duane Dibley

Much as I'd love to see this, everytime its been tried recently its felt forced imo, often resulting in scenes that arn't that funny. A typical example is the 'bunkroom scene' that opens season 8 and many of the subsequent similar scenes in that series. These try really hard to ape the classic moments of series 1 and 2 but...they just don't pull it off, mostly because they just arn't very funny

The humour in series 1 and 2 felt so natural and had a real flow to it wheras in series 8 it feels like Doug is just trying too hard to overcompensate for series 7 which I much prefer on reflection. I think the episode "Blue" is the one that best comes close to the feeling that series 1 and 2 had, partly because it centres around the concept of loneliness.

6. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

By the way, I want to somewhat backtrack on what i've said a few posts ago, but then reiterate;
    I think the premise and conceptual universe of Red Dwarf, with all of its mythology ecetera, could go on and on and on.
    But I have reconsidered my opinion, and i do think that after the guys have had enough of playing the characters Red Dwarf as we know it as a continueing series should stop! The actors who play the main characters are obviously what make, and what have made, the show so great!!
    Which leads me on to say I hope that they do more than just one series!!!
    It's been pretty much confirmed that the series due to be filmed this year (hopefully, everything crossed) is billed as series ten!
    so hopefully we may have an intertwined series 9? continuity explanations as to what happened in the conceptual series 9? and then a further series 11 please!!! And if that all goes well,a feature length movie episode!!!!!!!!!

I think Red Dwarf can become more inteligent now. Craig Charles said he thought that his character should have matured,and that this may show in the Back to Earth episodes, and Danny Jules said that the characters and the series mature as they proceed over the years consequetively, and yet there are still immature comedic references scattered around the dialogue still. So I guess i like that continuity aspect, and i don't think you can readd that immaturity or styleof comedy that was present in the early series in quite the same way again. But I actually really loved the sort of bunk/control room scene in the back to earth specials where they're gathered and theres just witty dialogue. It reminded me of LEXX at it's best, and indeed the earlier series. Along with the CGI surrounds and so on which added the much need aspect of space and dimension, giving the realisation that the red dwarf is infact a huge vessel manned by just 4 guys lol
    So basically i'd love continuity, plus a range of different aspects of greatness from previous series (series 1+2 dialogue and feeling of emptiness on the vast red dwarf, or the manic zaniness of series 5, with the polished look and lack of laughter track in the back to earth specials etc).

7. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

why is there still confusion over what series is next and where series 9 will sit?

on the front page of this glorious website, there is a link to itunes inviting you to download all NINE series. Which leads me to the only conclusion possible, and thats that Back To Earth is being concidered as series 9, so any further series will follow on numerically, 10, 11 etc etc

8. red_dwarf_forever

red_dwarf_forever Skutter

i do hope it comes bk on tv it would be a dream come true but only hope yet :P

9. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Hmmm, long thread with lots of passionate thoughts and debate. My thoughts, and other fans likely may not agree, just get the people back together who made the show great to start with and let them decide how and when to pick it back up and continue. Any long running series has favorites and least favorite episodes, humor is varied and pleasing every fan with each joke is impossible. My hunch is the creators just need to get back to having fun with doing what they do. I think most fans really enjoyed the first seasons created by the writers, directors, and producers. Otherwise Red Dwarf would have been canceled. The show continued on to be really entertaining and the entire cast and crew involved deserves a great deal of credit for accomplishing so much.

I would love it if the original Red Dwarf masterminds come up with a series either based on Red Dwarf (original preference) or based on something entirely new. My one specific request...have the shows promptly available online for downloading - for those of us who dislike subscribing to cable TV. ;-)

10. julian

julian Skutter

Wishlist:

1. Norman Lovett as Holly
    2. Takes place on the Red Dwarf, not on a smaller ship
    3. No Dibbleys!
    4. Ace Rimmer

Things I'm ambivalent about:
    1. Kochanski- should she be in it?
    2. Rimmer- should he be a hologram again?

11. Garry2rs

Garry2rs Third Technician

I would like it set after series 8
    There is a lot of material and back up story possibilities and unfinished storylines.
    Yes, agree with the peeps who say no more Dwane Dibbley (maybe as a background charecter).

For Rimmer to survive, he can always come back as a hologram as he can resurrected after 'dying' as Red Dwarf is destroyed as we have seen portable hologram tec in the show.
    After the end of 8...
    Maybe, with the escape pod(s) crashing on an alien planet it could be a opportunity to film the missing episode 'Identity Within'.
    Escape via the other cat ship???

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Have you seen Back To Earth? (Okay, it's implied by Doug Naylor in the commentary that it's actually the original Rimmer...*, but... oh watch it if you haven't. You'll see what I mean. Small spoiler I suppose, but not that big.)

*That's the first Rimmer that returned as a Hologram I mean. So technically not the original Rimmer but the main character we love from the first 7 series.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its 10 years to late for that, the cast have aged, and it would be too noticable for a direct sequel to series 8

my guess it will continue on after back to earth, and will proberly get explaination as to what happened after series 8, and maybe a graphic novel that was once mentioned by doug naylor

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

ace rimmer is dead, as mentioned in series 7, it would just be rimmer returning if they did that

15. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

most probaly ace rimmer (guy from the first 7 series) got bored of saving universes and passed the torch onto someone else and he went back to the original red dwarf where he can settle down and be part of the crew again

16. Garry2rs

Yes, watched that. My post was strictly about the possible following of series 8 NOT what happened in BTE.

17. Garry2rs

Yes, true there is a big gap between the two series but I seem to recall that that has happened before when Craig had his 'woman troubles'.
    May be this time it would be too much of a gap,thats my preferance but ANY new Dwarf set whenever is better than No Red Dwarf at all.

18. KennyW

KennyW Skutter

After 20 years or however long its been, I hope they dont just make it for the sake of making it, I hope they do a proper job of it. Ive heard a few interviews where its sounded like d cast has been told they are making it without being involved it the writting. My favourite series, series 8, was co-written by a good few different people and I think that extra bit of care and attention shines through. Im worries this new series will be a rush job. Please keep up the high standards :-D

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Nobody makes Red Dwarf just for the sake of making it. If we did, you'd have 14 episodes a year, every year, written by whatever guest writers were available.

The cast are never directly involved in the writing (Robert Llewellyn's Series VII script aside). It's always been Rob and Doug together, and then Doug running a tight ship on his own or with some guest writers.

Series VIII only had one writer other than Doug, and that was Paul Alexander. While Paul contributed to all episodes as script editor, the entire writing was run by Doug and all but two episodes are solely credited to him.

On Back to Earth, I fulfilled the same script editor role (helping on story and character, throwing in some jokes) and if we go on for another series I hope to again - and I can guarantee you that scripts are always given care and attention. (Even those written fast, which happened on most episodes of ALL series.) There;s no way that this series will be 'a rush job' creatively - even if it's turned around fast (as most TV is), there will be no shortage of due care and attention.

All else aside, it's been a year since BTE and Dave have yet to confirm a new series - nothing seems very rushed so far, does it? :-)

20. Garry2rs

There was a lot of talk a while back when Red Dwarf VII DVD was released about the 'Lost' episode 'Identity Within' ever seeing the light of day as it were and becoming a proper episode.
    Yes I realise this will probably never happen but have topics of this nature (missing episodes/back stories) ever been talked about as possibilities?