New Dave Series - Guesswork and Rumours

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

George Lucas, before he made the prequel movies, summed up very well how special FX/CGI should be used. It's a tool to help tell a story, but is not the story itself.

(Unfortunately, IMO, he basically made the special FX the story of the prequels, but anyway).

I have not found any of the CGI to be distracting or detracting from the Red Dwarf experience. Did I enjoy the original campiness the show offered? Yes, but I don't enjoy it any less because the shots of the Dwarf or Starbug are CG as opposed to models. It probably saves time and a bit of money, too.

2. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Yeah... well that's just like... your opinion man.

3. Edward

Edward Third Technician

All movies should look more like Troma Movies~:-D

4. matty9896

matty9896 Third Technician

I think kryten should do a pre-titles sequence in episode one explaining wot happened at the end of VIII and bring us up to date for the start of X. :P

5. FairlySturdyHolowhip

FairlySturdyHolowhip Skutter

Out of interest, how many of you use twitter? Got very excited today, Rob Llewllyn basically repeated what he said the other day about having to delay the filming of Carpool, and then almost immediately posted again to apologise and say it wasn't to do with Red Dwarf, but purely with Carpool. Not really sure what to make of that if I'm honest, but I'm still hoping there's some major development that he's not allowed to tell us. All this speculation, it's like pre-BTE all over again!

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

As Craig Charles said, he was asked if he will be available about January. I really can't see why carpool would be put on hold now, plenty time to do many carpools before january. Unless we are being fed red herrings to keep our interest going for now, or maybe a shock release of Dwarf earlier than expected!!

7. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

CGI is great (as has already been said) when it's done well. A lot of the shots in BTE worked brilliantly and really enhanced the depth of RD, but the Scutter CGI was pretty awful. Scutters have always looked a bit cheap and cheerful - but they were real, and when they were CGI'd they just lost some of their charm.

Bring back the scutters - the real scutters.

RAGE

8. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Those who constantly rage against CG, I'd like them to watch Moulin Rouge and point out where it transitions between CG, models and read sets. It's incredibly good.

9. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Seeing Rage's post forced me to say this:

S-K-U-T-T-E-R!

No bloody C; it's a K. The novels agree with me.

10. Sunnybrand

Sunnybrand Skutter

It isn't rubbish. What he says about CGI is true. Movies like Lord of the Rings spend millions getting the most out of their CGI, which as somebody else said is fine if it's used in the right context, and in those films it is.

I don't know how you can argue the fact in a thread about Red Dwarf - a prime example of CGI misuse (only 8 and BtE).

11. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    It is rubbish because he was arguing that all CGI is bad. It can be used badly but it can also be used very well. I never said it was always a good thing but when done properly it can help make the film look amazing.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

And CGI wasn't misused in BtE. Well, most of it wasn't anyway.

The huge bay with the water tank for example looked brilliant.

13. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Skutters..........

Yeh, I know. As I was typing 'scutters' I thought it didn't look right but I couldn't be bothered to check.

Still there's lots of differences between the ones in series 1 etc. and the ones in BTE, so maybe they're a different type. Maybe they should have been called Scutters in BTE.

RAGE

14. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

That's true, I did think the CGI was fairly good on that. Shame the rest of BTE was rubbish.

15. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

so theres going to be 2 series right? - series IX and X (9 and 10)

I love the genius of that; to miss out those series and do the BTE specials after season 10!
    Of course it does provide limitations; perhaps someone would like to rewatch BTE and list them on here? - But they of course include the fact that Rimmer must find the crew of the dwarf or return to the dwarf as a hologram, + Kochanski has to seemingly die etc

I would love the following;
    A) CGI exteriors and even some interiors (as in BTE)
    B) one series with Norman Lovett as Holly, and the following series with hattie haybridge as holly (then holly gets deactivated as we don't see him/her in the BTE post series 10)
    C) at the beginning of episode 1 of series 9, holly or kryten should give a series 1-esque explanation leading from the end of series VIII.
    D) I'm divided on the canned laughter. I think the mass audience needs it as they seem to need to know when something is funny lol (as I can tell from alot of digitalspy comments) - personally, I can do without it as I feel the show has suitably matured past the canned laughter stage (as have most comedies), and I'm a closet fan of LEXX lol and thats also funny without use of laughter track.
    E) some (not enough to cause critics to call the new series 'rehashed') references to past series and some new parodies e.g. LOST would be a great parody (especially concerning the much rumoured story where the crew are stranded on a desolate planetoid!)
    F) uniform-wise; I'd love it if rimmer survived in humanform, and wore his 1940s-esque series I outfit. Then in the next series he could die and don the more hologram-style outfit. I'd like a return of Krytens all black body-suit, and anything kryten or cat wear is fine by me.
    G) Kochanski should only be in the crew for one series
    H) a return of daves bike/trike!

AMEN lol

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think that's what they're doing. I think they're following on after BtE. Or are you just describing what you'd like to see there?

I would like to know that story too, (Rimmer's return that is). As for Kochanski's seeming death, we were given that explanation in BtE but a bit more information would not hurt. Much of this can be dealt with references in ongoing, rather than 'in between' series but a proper backflash story for Rimmer would be welcome as I can see a lot of comedy potential in that story.

As long as they can keep to the quality of BtE I agree. Of course if we have full series they might have to step back a bit with the budget, but the Red Dwarf production team have a history of making a little go a long way. I'm sure they can produce something that looks good even if some episodes must be kept to smaller sets.

As a quick recap that wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if it followed on from BtE, assuming he/she's been fixed between BtE and the new series.

Gnnnn. Hold me back. HOLD ME BACK!

Hmm. I quite like Lexx too. My feelings on it are somewhat mixed as I find it pretty trashy and feel slightly dirty after watching it, but on the other hand I find the universe(s) they live in interesting particularly all that weirdness with the light and dark universe (guess which one Earth turned out to be in? Heh.) and the insect war. I found the comedy somewhat questionable, but it had it's moments. Although it got a bit repetitive. Curiously, I found Craig Charles performance in the last (bit rubbish) rather restrained compared to the level of ham the other actors resorted to.

I actually hope they keep parody to a minimum. That was one thing about BtE I wasn't sure of. I was actually in two minds as Bladerunner is a favourite film of mine, and there was certain geeky thrill in getting the references. On the other hand, I found it a bit heavy handed. I prefer Red Dwarf to have it's own universe and any parodies to be more subtle. I loved the joke on Star Trek technobabble in Tikka to Ride for example. Rimmer makes a long technical speech incorporating words like 'tachyons' and 'positron matrix', reminiscent of ST:TNG, then brought it slap bang back into the RD reality with Krytens: "No sir, I've been hitting the buttons too hard." Love the emphasis Kryten makes of the last two words too.

In hindsight I see what they were going for in BtE, though, and in the context of the story it did make sense. It's not something they should do too often though. As for people's criticism that it was a rehash of Back To Reality, the similarities never particularly bothered me. Doug Naylor actually stated in the commentary that a number of devices could have been used for the 'back to earth' part of the story, but he chose the squid as a homage to a fan favourite, being anniversary episodes and all. I felt the emotional journey they made was tonally different. Okay there were still similarities but there was more depth (if less comedy) in BtE's story. I'm not saying I like BtE more, I just think they both work.

I agree. If the next series is the search for Kochanski, then she could appear at the end. Or even the last 2-3 episodes of the last series, even. I wouldn't mind a whole series with her. People complain that she isn't that funny, but surely that's a challenge to to be met? Or a serious foil to bounce the comedy off? (I'm not sure of my mix of metaphors there. I'm sure you know what I mean.)

17. Sunnybrand

Sunnybrand Skutter

What are you talking about? He began by saying that CGI works when it's used right -
    "It's the nature of those effects, Talkie. They are cool and worked."

You're arguing against your own argument.

18. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

*looks back at first post*

I may have misread it.... OK if he thinks that CGI always ruins a movie then my argument was valid. If, however, he meant a movie can be ruined by CGI then please ignore my posts....

Um anyway.

19. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I think we should all be in agreement that if naylor and co keep up the quality that was in the BTE specials in the new series, then they will be great.

I have to reiterate that I think parody, and or pastiche, when done well, can really work well.

we've seen pastiche all teh way through Red Dwarf...e.g. yesterday I rewatched an episode of Red Dwarf series I and it was pastiche of orson welles citizen kane.