New Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Do we like the newer Kochanski?

I do... I also like the first Kochanski (Gawd... I so very nearly said "The old Kochanski" :0)

Maybe I just like women!

When I saw that Kochanski was new I thought I'm not sure & really it shouldn't have worked because Dwarf was a scifi comedy about a space bum virtually alone (Men often don't count other men as company, women are company, other men are just people who agree with us to shut us up!), then suddenly Dwarf becomes a comedy about a guy & a girl and cottage cheese????

But regardless I think the writing carried it :-)

New Kochanski was great... I miss her

2. potatojunkie

potatojunkie First Technician

Noooooooooooooo!!
    Nothing against either actress, but it's the character i don't like.
    The first couple of episodes that included Kochanski were bearable. When she bacame a regular, she just annoyed me more than anything. RD is best when it's just the 4 of them imo.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Agreed, although I am not against Kochanski making an appearance in one story plot.

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Ahhh this old gem!!

BRING BACK CLARE!! (but only for flashbacks, fantasy/dreams and illusions/delusions etc, not as part of the main crew!).

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I completely agree.

Have got nothing against Chloe but, Kochanski will always be Clare, always. :-)

Mind you, we dont know (and this is purely speculative) if Kochanski is going to somehow be part of Red Dwarf X (let the theories begin).

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

i dont mind who is kochanski as long as shes hot. hmm.

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I didn't mind Kochanski until she became a regular. I just don't think it works for the show, although I do like Chloe.

I can't say I prefer one Kochanski over the other, I try to think of them as two different characters with the same name. It may be interesting to try and work both Clare and Chloe into an episode together as two alternate Kochanskis.

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think ive bought this point up before..

I dont think you can really two different actors portraying the same character..

can you compare the joker of Jack Nicholson to the joker of Heath Ledger..completly different actors, different era's. BOTH were awesome.

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Loved Claire, especially her accent lol. She was in the show just enough too. Hated the new incarnation, nothing against chloe, just think it ruined red dwarf, one of the reasons season 7 failed.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Grogan's portrayal will always be how I think of Kochanski.

I love Chloe Annett, but not her Kochanski. I don't think its Chloe's fault though. For some reason, a decision was made that turned the very working class and down to Earth gritty character into a very posh daddy's girl with a privileged upbringing. Instead of being a character that could fall for Lister's "cheeky chappy" charms, she became a character that wouldn't under any circumstances even consider a rogue such as Dave Lister...unless those circumstances involved the Sexual Magnetism Virus

11. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

'Last Human' has Kryten sum up why such a posh, well-bred girl like Kochanski would get it on with the laddish, working class Lister.

As Kryten said "Frankly, sir, I think she likes a bit of rough."

12. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

I instantly warmed to Chloe when she took over the role and I love the whole neurotic route she took the character down in season VII, if I had a choice of which Kochanski to have back for series ten then I'd have to opt for Chloe please as I've now completely adapted to her style of the role and think she's great (and pretty damn gorgeous too)

13. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

My view too, nothing against Chloe but Kotchanski will always be Clare to me.

14. Timelord81Redux

Timelord81Redux Skutter

I like both, although I feel they are different characters in the way they were written.

I warmed to chloe fast, but then I unlike the rest of the world lol liked crime traveller

id like to see the character for sure return to the new series

15. skinpupgrasper

skinpupgrasper Skutter

i love kochanski and i really hope they bring her back,

16. thatlouise

thatlouise Third Technician

Much prefer Chloe but IMO there wasn't really enough Clare for me to compare her to really.

Also, I noticed some people really don't like Kochanski and I don't get it, I think she's a great character. Ho hum.

17. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

See... now here's a shocker...

What is the point of Kryten?

He was a great character when he started, it was great discussion about how robots are robots, about what makes them tick... Silicon heaven.

But in the later series I don't see a need for him.

I like Robert & don't have a biggie about Kryten still being in per se, but he is for me just as much of a departure from "original" Dwarf, from "Classic" Dwarf.

& yet, I hear his name being mentioned as though he is one of the classic Dwarf cast...

There surley is not other classic Dwarf other than the first 2 series, after that, Dwarf was warped... which is no real problem for a show about traveling through space, I'd probably be moaning if the show hadn't been warped.

Chloe's Kochanski was a departure from "Classic Dwarf", but for me only in as much as Kryten was when he became a regular character.

I still watch, whatever... & I love Dwarf, because I don't mind the writers taking it where they want to take it... with another show I'd be upset.

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

He has been around since series 3, so I think he can be classed as part of 'classic Dwarf' now. Depending on where one would consider 'classic' to start of course. (I'd say series 3 certainly qualifies at this stage.)

As for what Kryten does- his main function seems to be to provide explanation and therefore story for the sci-fi plots. Essentially what Holly used to do. I think he has a lot of comedy appeal too- arguably one of the funniest characters in the series. (Or at least 'joint funniest' as Rimmer is up there.)

19. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Kryten, as a character, comes in useful in the same way that Holly does. He provides that little bit of extra knowledge, just as Holly did, which helps them fumble their way through space just that tiny bit easier. He came into his own in series 6, when Holly was no longer around. The episode which springs to mind right now is Legion. He is aware of other cultures and practices, such as the Mamosian anti-matter chopsticks. With no Holly/Kryten style character I think we'd find it hard to believe that the other three main characters would survive. Maybe.

20. thatlouise

thatlouise Third Technician

How dare you :crying:

Oh god, I'd be gutted if Kryten was written out.