New Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

He's funny.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

so your saying the only classic dwarf is series 2? see id say classic dwarf was anything from 1-6

but with your logic you could say whats the point in the cat? because he has never had an episode for himself so it may be said he is uninteresting and just there to sit around and make gags and give very little to the storys

but you could'nt have red dwarf without the cat, and i think its 20 years to late to say ok lets get rid of kryten now he is just as icnonic as the cat

3. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Yeahh!! Go Kryten!!!

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

How can anybody question the point of Kryten? His characterisation went off a bit after series 6, but he's a wonderfully fussy, idiosyncratic and often hilarious character. He's also played to perfection by Robert, who fits into the team so well that sometimes I almost forget that he wasn't in the first couple of series.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

He was in the second series.:-D I know that's unnecessarily pedantic, but I've read the first two novels recently, and because Kryten was introduced in a situation I'm so familiar with from series two, I still think of him as David Ross's version.

EDIT Also, I love Kryten.:-D

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well, I meant sometimes I almost forget that Robert's version of Kryten wasn't in the first two series.

I can't say I ever liked Ross' Kryten. It perhaps didn't help that I didn't see his version until I was already familiar with Robert's. Also I never thought much of his episode; the hyper audience in particular irritates me.

7. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I think what hurt the character when they brought her back for series 7 was having her assume the dual purpose of both Lister's love interest AND the uptight Rimmer replacement.

The more neurotic (and nureeky!)she became, the less you could imagine Lister falling for someone like her...

Maybe they should've brought two characters back in series 7, one for Lister and one to replace Rimmer....

8. Paul Taylor

Weirdly enough, when reading the first books, I couldn't really see either of the series' two Kochanskis as the one I was reading about. Neither seemed to fit.

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I think the version I envisioned had Grogan's personality and Annett's physical appearance.....

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've often thought the one from Last Human was pretty close to Chloe's version. The main difference is that the book version is in love with Lister, and she doesn't complain nearly as much, but considering the series 7 version was dragged out of a parallel universe away from her lover that's totally understandable. Both are competent officers.

11. Paul Taylor

I haven't started Last Human yet. I'm about to start Backwards, which I understand is the best to read after Better Than Life.

12. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Yeah....Backwards seems to be like a third instalment to the story. Last Human is very much a stand alone entity

13. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Me too. I imagined her as Chloe when reading it.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The interesting thing is that it was written before Series VII as well! So Doug had the idea that Kochanski would have that kind of character and that it was a case of opposites* attract. It's just something I think about when I read people say 'Lister wouldn't go for a girl like that, C P Grogan's version came across so much more working class' (or words to that effect).

Fact is people don't always go for people like themselves!

*at least in some ways

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I'll always found those kind of "more working class" comments...interesting too.

We saw very little C P Grogan's Kochanski, although i did warm to her. And although i'm a massive fan of those earlt series, Chloe will always be Kotannski to me.

I think what many seem to forget is that in series 7 she's meant to be different, 'cause she is quite literally a different character, she's not our Lister's Kotchanski.

I personally love her character and the way she's portrayed, and yes even in series 7, i found her to be funny...and i didn't find her anywhere near as annoying as some others seem to have felt by the character...*shugs*

I can't help but wonder just how much of some fans dislike for her is heavily linked to the fact she may have been seen as a threat. As in a replacement for Rimmer. Personally i feel the series plays much better now, knowing what we do (That Rimmer returnuths mostly)

Anyway, i am firmly in the Chloe camp myself, for various reasons, but mostly because she's hot...kidding ;-) ..not that she isn't so hot she's steaming, but...ah you know what i mean :-)

16. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

kryten is one of my favs. the walk through to self awarness is just awsome. as far as the kochanski's i like to think of them being in different dimensions.

17. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Thats very true. People often go for someone completely different to themselves, it just doesnt always work out lol. I read Last Human for the second time about a year ago and said to my other half how it was interesting that the Kochanski in that book was so much more like Chloe's version even though the book had been written before series 7.

18. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Oh I'm not sure about that.

I read them in release order (so LH then BW) and didn't get too confused.
    They both branch off into seperate realities after BTL I thought....

(Personally I found LH a much better book with a story that engaged me....Backwards was ok I just didn't enjoy the plot as much as Backwards)

19. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

You mean Last human?

20. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I could never really handle Clare's strong accent but I also found Chloe to be somewhat bland in her performance. However I'll probably have to go with Chloe because I think it makes more sense for her to be lister's type and I also think she's a little prettier looking (I'm not the shallow type), maybe if Clare had more time in the show I may have got more used to her accent and preferred her.