New Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Kryten is there & that is fine, I do like him, but he has been a lost sole, but then arn't they all... od balls & missfits.

Classic Dwarf is the first two series... thry're not so polished & the cast & crew were learning to work with each other, but horrible as it sounds, after series 2, things were somewhat cheapened... not that I don't watch through them all happily.

For me, original Dwarf was about Lister & the annoying hologram & the ships computer.

it would be a huge dissapointment to see Cat leave the show,

but as for Kryten versus Kochanski... kinda both could leave.

ewwww, will nobody give it up for womens lib!
    Holly was deadpan funny, Kryten is just daft, loveable daft, but daft.

2. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Have to say i'm very worried that they are just going to do a bad parody of what people think of as classic dwarf.
    Classic dwarf was original and i want them to be original once more.
    I Liked Kochanski and thought her characterisation got better once they learnt how to write for her.
    While i don't mind her not being a regular i do worry if they gloss over her and shove her into the background. Back to Earth set up the Hunt for Kochanskis and i really hope that's the arc of this series, ideally with Dave being re-united with her at the end.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Couldn't disagree more....at least for the time being. One thing I'm glad about is that they never managed to get back to Earth....at least not their own reality Earth. (spoilers for BTE there...sorry!) I think it would have ruined it if they did. Each episode is it's own story but with the ongoing search for home...

BtE set Red Dwarf up with the same scenario, but replaces Earth with Kochanski. Discovery of Kochanski for me, would just ruin it. At least for the next couple of Series...

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I felt that during 7 and 8 Lister more or less gave up on finding Earth because of KK turning up. And, of course, they were searching for RD in 6 and 7. Now that KK has gone again I hope Lister goes back to pining for his idyllic life back on Earth with KK... Something that we, the viewers, know to be extremely unrealistic.

So talking about BTE is still considered to be spoilery? Three years on? :s

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Only to those who haven't seen it :-)

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd say it's okay to talk about in this part of the forum.

7. supercat

supercat Console Officer

You could say that about every episode then. Bit silly...

8. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

I really ought to get round to watching BTE at some point in the near future, since I've not seen it yet!

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Really? Why on earth not?

10. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Watch the Director's Cut!

11. supercat

supercat Console Officer

He must be joking. We all know he's a wind up merchant!

12. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

Cos I'm worried it'll be the level of Series 8 fail. However, I'm assured it's not *that* bad :lol:

... and it is a copy that has been handled by ex-GNA Mr Andrew Ellard, so maybe he's added a little bit of extra magic to it!

13. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Well disagree fourty year old bloke chasing endlessly after a woman and never finding her is sad in a bad way. If they drag out several seasons with a directionless Lister my interest will be long gone.

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Searching for the woman he loves is hardly what i'd call directionless. And i'm not sure what his age has to do with anything, one cannot let a little thing like age get in the way of matters of the heart, surely?.

15. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Kochanski should not return. Lister's goal is to be reunited with her, if she comes back it will bring to an end that element. It failed in series 7 & 8 but I think flashbacks would work to keep continuity

16. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

She fit in well to replace Holly... well she did because Holly wasn't showing up much on screen. Either way, I do prefer Red Dwarf without Kochanski as a regular character. It evened out to concentrate on her in the story, Lister goes nuts about trying to get involved with her. Meanwhile, Cat is especially attracted by her choice of clothing, and oh god if Ace Rimmer was on board Lister probably would have trouble lol

BUT, Kochanski's character was really just a way to keep making episodes interesting. It was interesting to see how Lister and Kryten's relationship turned into some sort of humorous soap-opera. And how Lister's failed attempt to win Kochanski back would keep him going...

All in all, it evened out the balance of Rimmer AND Holly sort of leaving the show...

17. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Yeah the Kochanski character had her funny moments especially being involved in those body parts jokes but for the most part I found it sucked most of the funny out of the shows that could have been there. The conflict was not there, for the jokes to be there .

18. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

I think Kochanski is great.. It brought a lot of a new things to the series.. and I also like the chemistry between her & Dave in series VII & VIII ...

19. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Anyone know if holly will be in it at some point? I really hope so. Kochanski most likely will be. I don't care if we get make our female holly, but I would love to see already one decent appearance

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Neither Kochanski nor Holly will be appearing in RDX