New Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Nov 30, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

How can you answer this categorically and with absolute certainty?

Doug managed to keep Chloe's presence in BTE a secret from everybody until the air date.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I love Chloe as Kochanski. I never really got to grips with Clare's acting..."skills".

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

The writing was perhaps the main fault with New kochanski, that and chloe was New to comedy. the character was dreadful in VII but ok in VII. however everyon got fairly bad in these 2 series, though kochanski was really cringe making.

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Whilst I enjoyed Holly, I don't think he/she is required any more - Kryten fulfills that role. I don't think the series is going to suffer too much without him/her, though they did provide some great moments.

Anyway, to topic. Yep, Claire Grogan is always going to be Kochanski, and even then I wouldn't have liked it if she had appeared as a regular in Red Dwarf. Chloe is just... meh. I think the fact that she arrived as Chris Barrie left will have left a sour taste in nearly everyone's mouth though, but her character just wasn't appealing - a snobby, stuck-up and all-round "sensible" person... in Red Dwarf? Yes, I guess Rimmer was like that to an extent, but he would constantly prove to be a comic relief send-up for everyone. Kochanski couldn't be because she was too serious (no signs of an amusingly tragic past like Rimmer) and because Lister wanted to suck up to her and Cat mostly followed his lead and was respectful. Only Kryten tried to humiliate her in any way, and not really that successfully (but that was strange, whiney series 7 and 8 Kryten).

Introducing ANY Kochanski really would have been awful, and whilst I'm glad she appeared in BTE as Lister's unattainable dream, and Lister's story arc is primarily about trying to get back to Earth, finding her somehow and starting a family... Red Dwarf is not about story arcs! It's about a situation that four hapless individuals have gotten themselves into and must survive in. Introducing a sensible person into the hapless mix was just... odd. Didn't work for me.

Claire's Kochanski would probably have fared better - a more flirtatious, less professional and generally perkier Kochanski - but I doubt she'd have fitted into the show as a regular. Kryten has been the only crew member added and somehow managed to fit in extraordinarily easily, but I couldn't see the same happening for either Kochanski.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Kryten is like Holly, but slightly more useful. Remember, back in I & II, if something happened only Lister could really deal with it. Rimmer and Holly couldn't touch anything, and Cat didn't really care all that much. Kryten was a useful extra pair of hands - not only could he give the Holly technobabble, but he could also pilot Starbug, operate machinery and do experiments in the medi-lab. Plus, whilst Kryten had his own neuroses to deal with, he usually wasn't as incompetent as Holly. By V, Holly was essentially useless and was only really good for the occasional one liner. There just wasn't room for both of them in the dialogue. It's a bit like how Cat and Kochanski suffer from underexposure, due to there being too many characters, in VIII.

And I'm only saying that because I'm so fond of him.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Because I have insider knowledge & will be proved right. 8)

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I read somewhere while googling that Hattie H had spoken about being part of new dwarf in 2010 or 2011, hope there is a taste of Holly, maybe fixing the ship's computer or some smeeeeeg

8. simulant37

Well I was proved right! Simulant Victorious!

Anyway, if they recast a new Kochanski who would you want?

9. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Jenna Coleman.

10. simulant37

Lol!

I am the raven!

[​IMG]

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Don't mind the naughty man Chloe. Some of us still love you.

Teasing aside, if we have Kochanski, then yes, bring Chloe back. If the lads can be middle aged (and I think they're all older than her) the ladies can too.

And yes, she is still lovely.