New RD Series next year!?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by squeakie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. isopod

isopod Second Technician

I heard this news today. WOO HOO! 8)

2. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

And the return of some of the last lot who've been without topics to contribute to for a while... hello... :-p

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I am really happy it seems all confirmed about a new series, but I also need to whinge a bit, why is it other programs get commissioned and there aired within a year. From the success of Red Dwarf's BTE on Dave why the heck has it taking so long to sort out, and now its still another year away (and judging by the way things have gone before it could be longer)

Everyone must have heard of the saying "Strike while the iron is hot." why has it been so long that the iron has passed through an ice age ? again !

4. Whizzkid

Whizzkid Catering Officer

Excellent another series of Red Dwarf. Forget the big screen Dwarf idea, it's been in development hell for so I don't think I'll ever see it. So lets just concentrate on making more episodes Grant Naylor Productions. Besides these freeview channels need a break from endless reruns. I've already given up watching all those endless reruns in favour of watching new material, so as to cut down on watching too much TV. Those TV satellite and cable channels like Dave and GOLD only ever show the reruns because they haven't got much money for new content.

Look at the ratings for Back to Earth, nearly 4 million tuned in. The channel's highest audience figure ever. With analogue TV being phased out completely by next year everyone in Britain will be watching digital and that means more viewers for your programme. Sky 1 have got plenty of new material, NG does very well with Chris Barrie's science and history shows and ITV 2 and BBC 3 have got some stuff that gets on the air before ITV 1 and BBC 2 show it.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its funny how sky 1 over easter 2009 showed Skellig which i believe was budgeted something like a few million and got less viewers then red dwarf, infact i dont even think it got a million viewers (correct me if wrong), and then a channel like dave who gave such a low budget got 4 million for back to earth part 1 and just over 2 million for back to earth part 3

its suprising how long its taken to even get this news, i mean dave wanted there own new shows and you couldnt ask for better then red dwarf, but either they are tight with budget or worried about how they will afford the budget

6. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love how Craig just let it slip out - and how Llewellyn wasn't at all surprised lol

Wise words indeed! With a 'long' running serial like Doctor Who or Red Dwarf you have to look back to when it was at its supposed worst or when it fell out of favour or was "axed", and then endeavor and vow to make it as good as when it was at it's pique, so that the 'comeback' is just as good as it's 'heyday' and so that if it is the 'last hurrah' then at least they went out fighting.

I'm a big fan of the mid-seasons comparing them to the latter, but then I enjoyed the Back to Earth episodes alot as well and loved the plot, arc etc To me it doesn't matter if they have model shots and perform in front of an audience, or shoot on RED cam have fancy sfx and no audience laughter track - just as long as there is that quality and strength of character writing & dialogue, comedic writing, and sci fi plot.

So happy this has 'slipped out' lol I was only just watching the Coronation Street specials over christmas thinking that Craig looked in good shape and how that would benefit if they were shooting more Red Dwarf! True, we have a while to wait, but speculation can truly abound, shooting starts in November, and it's released in 2012 - same time as stuff like dark Knight Rises, Mad Max 4, Dredd etc lol gonna be a busy year what with the world ending too! :shock:

7. isopod

isopod Second Technician

Like me! I heard the news on Radio 2 and wanted to check it out. Then stumbled upon this site.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I noticed that a few of you had appeared, but it's when the news is released officially that the trickle will become a flood.

After each Back To Earth episode aired last year, this board began to slow right down and even stopped working due to the huge numbers of people who flocked here straight after. Fun times they were.

9. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

A years too long to wait, loads of prep time should be a classic

10. RegWorf

RegWorf Second Technician

I have been seeing more and more articles over the internet relating to a return of the series which makes me think that it is almost a done deal. I'll have to look into what station will carry the broadcast State side. It used to air on an obscure New York Local station a couple years ago (a friend told me) maybe it will make a return there also. The New York Media Market is pretty big and has a lot of stuff -- if they can Air Japanese Gameshows and Indian Musicals, then why not Red Dwarf?

This is very good news.

11. isopod

isopod Second Technician

So, who's on the writing team?

12. bendrago

bendrago Skutter

Ah but you see there are several of us who have lurked around for years and years but have not had anything
    to write about, at least I have no desire or need to write about the original series, but now that something
    new happens we awake from our slumber :-)

Have to say that am a bit pessimist still, wont get my hopes too high up until we get an official statement,
    but oh how I hope it all happens ...

13. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Bluey, you sound like you are annoyed by people showing a new interest in a Television show that you would like to see continued :\

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What was it about my post that gave you that impression?

15. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

- I too welcome an influx of people as someone who posts now and again but not constantly.
    - I too would like to know who's on the writing team, as well as whether it was Naylor's scripts that have been in the pipeline for a while which have finally been commisioned, or whether he had to go back to the drawing board and write up some new stuff with help.....also whether the new series will be in front of an audience, using model shots, whether all the cast will return, who will play holly, whether the crew are stuck on the red dwarf? etc etc etc etc etc

I guess we won't know until theres been a proper announcement.

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I'm looking forward to a new series. Feeling a bit sorry that it's so far away, but it'll come round soon enough.

(I'm one of the readers who doesn't post much on this forum)

RAGE

17. pussinboots7182

pussinboots7182 Skutter

OMG !! So excited about this - the BTE shows were fab and i was hoping they would make a new series. I am a noob to this site but a HUGE dwarfer. Hope they do it with a live audience - i was too young to go for the older shows but you won't be able to keep me away if they do it this time around xx

18. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

By jove, it's taken long enough but I am cheered by this news.

Of course it's silly of Dave to be stingy with the budget, but on the other hand... what budget did they need for the glory years of series 3-5? Doug Naylor does seem a bit obsessed with special effects and so on. You don't need a high budget to write a good script, and that's what Red Dwarf has always thrived on - not CGI!

Still, there's a lot to be glad about. Filming in front of an audience for one thing. I thought BTE suffered from the lack of an audience. And then Craig Charles' comment about it being as good as the peak of series 5-6... brilliant, he doesn't want it to be like series 7-8! In tune with the public.

Can't wait to see this new series!

19. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Thing is how are they gonna continue the story as it all finished in a frankly odd way, and does BTE actually figure in the series plot line? was it a seperate adventure to the series or a follow on from the final series 8? I have read something about it being series 9?

I just hope they try to get back to the old school method of a plot per episode, live studio audience and maybe not such over the top stories.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

BtE is set 9 years after series 8.

It's not a 'follow on' in the sense of tying up what happens in series 8 but it's part of that time line. It is a self contained story told over 3 episodes though. (Or one long episode if you're watching the Director's cut.)