New RD Series next year!?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by squeakie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I did hear somewhere (I forget where, who or when.....BobbyLlews blog maybe?) that any future journey's into the RD universe will pick up at the end of series VIII and happen before BtE.

Personally, I don't believe it.......and I think it would foolish to do it this way. BtE acts as a fantastic reset button to the whole Red Dwarf franchise. We've got our main 4 characters alone in deep space going space crazy.

Lister now has a purpose again....something that went missing midway through the original series. Sure, he is no longer chasing the impossible dream of a farm on Fiji, but searching through space for his one true love who he knows is out there....somewhere. It's possibly better than the original dream.

Rimmer is back to being a hologram and not necessarily the softened version that his character grew to be during series VII.

Cat.....erm......still looks sharp

and Kryten.....erm.....still serving the last human alive!!

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Someone didn't pay attention to Lister's bunkside decor during BTE.

3. adamclark83

adamclark83 Third Technician

Please have Chloe back for the whole thing.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't dislike Kochanski and certainly not Chloe's version but I think having her there for the whole thing would spoil a potentially good story arc as they track her down. Have her in the last episode or two certainly.

5. ori-STUDFARM

I like Chloe's version of Kochanski...but it isn't a patch on Clare Grogans original portrayal. (Through no fault of Chloe I hasten to add....it was the way she was written in Series VII). I could gladly have the boys on a quest searching for her only to find her cold lifeless body in the final episode...

...that probably says more about me than I realise! :?

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Please don't. As others have already pointed out, Kochanski works best as a guest character not as a regular. Seeing Lister aching for her when she's gone is poignant and interesting, seeing him perv over her when she's around is awkward and creepy.

Let's see Doug given the chance to produce a series solo with just the core cast. BTE aside all we've had of that so far is a single episode and in Tikka to Ride, I believe it was one of the strongest (despite the dodgy time travel continuity).

7. ashio83

ashio83 Third Technician

This is great news, i cant wait for the time to come. Ive been praying for this for years now and finally :-D :-D :-D

8. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but your avatar is awesome!

Also, yeh it's good news.

9. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

At first, I was like, "what the heck are you talking about?" Then I realized you're right. Other than BTE, Tikka is the only one without Kochanski. And you're right, it was a fantastic episode. (personally I thought the dodgy time travel continuity was one of the things that made it so funny). I thought I read somewhere that Doug said it was really hard for him to write parts for a female lead character (ie Kochanski).

In other unrelated news, I've begun "Venus on the Halfshell", I'll let you know what I think once I read more than just the first two pages (was too busy to read more thusfar).

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I'll have to say that that is a really good point. Tikka To Ride is by far (by far and far and far) my favourite episode of series 7. It was witty from start to finish ("Chicken's good" "That's not chicken Sir" etc) and the story, apart from the HUGE time travel issue was incredibly well written (JFK shot himself being a real classic moment in RD history).

I'd also say that it would be best to keep just the core 4 guys in the series and concentrate on getting some classic dialogue going, maybe adding in some strange phenomenon on level 231 (or whatever). But keep it small and don't try and be whizzy buzzy with all the CGI. At it's core RD is just a character driven comedy where 4 guys interact with each other. Maybe Holly could be there too... but the Holly/Kryten issue could be a bit of a problem. You can't really have 2 'computers' on the same show unless it's done REALLY well.

RAGE

11. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

She's not in Stoke me a Clipper either...

12. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

She's not in Stoke me a Clipper either...

13. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

She's not in Stoke me a Clipper either...[/quote]

you're right. she's not. but i think paul alexander co wrote that one.

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

This is just a guess, but i think Chloe would have been in a lot less of Series 7 if Chris had of been able to do a full schedule. It could be some of it was hastily re-written when Chris Barrie's availability was not for the full series. Thoughts people ?

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Possibly. One reason for bringing in a new female character wasn't just to replace Barrie though. They had their's eyes on a film then and so thought including a female lead would be a good step in that direction. We might well have had both characters like we did in series 8. I'm not so sure though, I think maybe both reasons should be taken together. I.e., "we need a replacement, lets go with a female because... etc."

16. ori-STUDFARM

I maybe wrong, but I thought Chris was available for more of season VII and it was Doug's decision to let him go earlier than necessary so they could get on with bringing Kochanski in....

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think Chris Barrie found the series VI schedule a bit hectic so decided to play a lesser role in Series VII as he was doing The Britas Empire at the same time. I think he initially planned not to appear in the series at all, or at least just the first episode, but was persuaded to remain for half the episodes.

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

100% wrong, but I see how you got there. Chris had a certain number of working days available and the production had a choice as to how to use them. Doug elected to go for a Rimmer departure episode then use the remaining available days on dream sequences. AR simulations and flashbacks (as seen in Ouroboros and Blue). Chris wasn't let go early - he was used for as much time as he was available.

As to whether Kochanski would have been in less of the series, that's harder to say since, as we know, her arrival coincided with an aim to get a female lead into the show that would suit a movie version of Red Dwarf...

19. sundayforsammy

20. sundayforsammy

Sorry, my last post seems to have missed of my reply
    It said

Thanks Andrew it's good to have someone that has worked on the production actually give the real reasons and answers.
    I had totally forgot about a female character being brought in for the purpose of the movie being made.