New RD Series next year!?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by squeakie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Given that the movie was going to be a reboot, why was it felt that the TV series needed to have the female lead inserted into it?

Was this something to do with retaining the whole original cast?

2. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I think it might have been for the producers/funders/powers-that-be to see that there was an established love interest for Rimmer and an actress they wanted to play her (we've all heard the horror stories of the American producers wanting to recast - Hugh Grant for Lister etc.) and not have an actress they didn't want (a big Hollywood name, like Catherine Zeta-Jones or Sandra Bullock or whatever) forced on them. I mean, they couldn't expect Clare Grogan to come out of retirement for a part she hadn't played in ten years and was even then unwilling to return to on TV.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Yes.

But the movie wasn't known to be a reboot in 1996 when the casting choice was made. It might have been an in-continuity continuation, it might have been stand-alone. The decision hadn't been taken at that point. Indeed, when Ed Bye was looking likely to direct, he spoke at Dimension Jump about how they might solve the problem of introducing characters with an established hostory to a new, cinematic audience.

Had Kochanski/Chloƫ picked up a big following in the TV show - in the manner of a great many previous female SF actresses - it would have helped the film attract financing. The (sexual) appeal of the cast was, for sure, part of what helped get X-Files movies funded, for example.

4. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

We could always glue you into a wig n' bra Andrew - and give it another shot...

5. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Is there really going to be another series?!

I am watching Back to Earth now and so want more Dwarf :-D

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im suprised to find out craig charles didnt think BTE was funny, he just thought it was an exciting story to tell and that if the show cant get back the best of red dwarf then he would rather the show be left alone

i dunno if or not to be glad or slightly worried

7. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

It sounds like a sensible option.

8. bedfordfalls

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but Craig hasn't said that in any interview I've read, he just considers, as many people do, that series 5 and 6 were the peak of Red Dwarf's humour. Mind you, having endured some of his stand up I'm surprised he didn't think that series 8 was the funniest.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

he said it here that he didnt think it was funny, but he really liked the story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRTAKuUrOg8

10. bedfordfalls

Interesting video but again Craig doesn't say that he "didn't think it was funny" he says he doesn't think it was "as funny" which is an important distinction to make and one I'm sure even those who love BTE will agree with.

I think his views on series 8 are interesting to listen to as they reflect my own suspicions on why the cast are always so positive about that series on DVD commentaries and the like and seem to ignore its flaws, namely that making it seems to have been a fantastically fun and happy experience for them...possibly the most fun they had in making any series.

Meanwhile, nice to see Craig's stand-up material has improved. :roll:

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

You have to put the address bit in the first tag between the '=' and the right square bracket. I've fixed it for you.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

my mistake

13. Weirdsoup

Weirdsoup Skutter

I worry for the new series. The loss of Rob Grant seems to have robbed the show of something. Series 7 and 8 were
    sub par, and BTE was kind of like watching a YouTube fan video with a larger than normal budget. It lacked a lot
    of the humour of older series and felt a lot like the cast were in it for a pay cheque.

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I always find criticisms like this kinda unfair. "I didn't like something, so I can only assume those involved were doing it for bad reasons". Those two are directly connected, are they?

I mean, ignoring the lack of budget for the amazing payday being imagined here, Craig Charles looks like he's barely trying during BTE does he? Are you kidding me?!

15. plasmo1

plasmo1 Skutter

I won't prejudge the new series. I will wait until I see it next year. Hopefully there will be a Holly, new or old I don't care. Clare Grogan doing now, could she play Holly. :-)

16. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Personaly, I can't wait for the new series to be announced and for the time to pass until it's on TV. I also can't imagine any of the actors or people involved just doing it for the pay cheque. BTE was a low budget production so money was not the attraction to do it, so I have to think it was the love of Red Dwarf and the enjoyment they all get from getting together and having a laugh.

My only problem with the new series will be that after waiting until whatever date in 2012 to see it, it will be over all to soon, it's amazing how fast 6 episodes (six weeks) pass when your enjoying something.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

my fear about a new series is that like series 7,8 and BTE it will never be as good as the early rob grant co-written series

i was watching series 5 holoship and the gags are quick, sharp and funny, and i tried to think of anything in 7,8 and BTE that was even as close to being as good or clever, and i couldnt think of any off the top of my head :?

but id really like to see the show brought back to being as good as it was, otherwise we will just get another series that as craig charles would say would be "so and so"

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Something went wrong with the humour after series 6. The jokes became way too forced, especially in Back To Earth.

I just hope with the new series that Doug will attempt to recapture the style of series 3-5. No stories that last two or three episodes, just 6 or so self-contained stories, each featuring a decent sci-fi concept. I don't care if it's not as great as 3-5 or not especially funny; I just want to see something in that earlier style.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i worry that doug naylors humour may be abit lazy and lacking in logic so we may never get the quality that was series 3-5 again :-(

now correct me if im wrong but the scene in back to earth comes to mind where rimmer is reading carpet samples and lister is talking about the air machine like he hasnt seen one before, well not only was an air machine in series 8 but also are they saying we wont have air machines in the future? we will stil use toilet paper but air machines will be no more

now just because its a funny concept dont mean anyone will ignore the logic in that gag

another gag that comes to mind is rimmer telling kryten to get dirt on katrina and she walks in and kryten starts talking about her breasts to get rimmer to realise she was behind him, again funny concept but tbh it speaks for itself

i mean compared to shows like the IT crowd and father ted which may get away with jokes like that, but ussually its aimed at showing how stupid the characters are, but for a show like red dwarf you really expect alot better :/

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. Those were two gags I actually found rather funny. (I did think the Lister toilet bit was a stretch, but the sheer silliness just added to the humour for me. Imagining those plaits wafting up and down as he jumps up and down trying to catch an air stream.) And the Katrina bit wasn't really out of character for Kryten. Inappropriate comments have always been a running gag for him. (Check out the Rimmer's mum stuff at the start of Polymorph for example.)

I guess there's a tone of 'puerility' that the naysayers tend to see in these jokes (although I don't think 'puerile' necessarily means 'unfunny') but these kind of jokes have always been part of Dwarf, although I agree they're not usually quite as obviously silly. (An example that spring to mind: The exercise bike in the women's gym gag, and various sexual references.) I sometimes wonder if people focus on them more in the later series simply because they're not keen on the series as a whole and they focus on that.

Fair enough. We've all got different tastes after all. The running gag in the comics store when the guy is talking on the phone drove me nuts, but then I came on here and found out people liked it. Same for the slapstick rake stuff at the end of BtE (although I liked that better on re-watching).