New RD Series next year!?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by squeakie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That whole sequence pretty much sums up what I mean about the forced humour. Like a lot of jokes in Back To Earth it also felt very un-Dwarfy to me.

Besides, they'd already done this 'Rimmer unaware of person behind him' gag in Pete, and it was very forced and drawn-out then.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I'm personally assuming that there is a project in development that is in negotions still with whomever and that 2012 may be the key year to watch out for a new red dwarf series or major news thereon.

i too hope we get 2 series - in the 1st series it should just be the core gang as they find kochanski, the 2nd series should add more characters and ships maybe as they find earth...plus they should find earth and it's deserted or something lol

someone once told me that they thought red dwarf was a situation comedy and shouldnt be classed as a sci fi show...rubbish!...the problem with trying to define red dwarf and why it was once great = Let's take first a brief example; Doctor Who has always straddled the divide between being a fantastical kids tv show that showcases great scifi + being an involviing character-based drama series. Red Dwarf at its best had also similarly straddled 'the divide'; bringing us great character driven comedy, whilst also bringing genial sci fi mindtwisting plots. The mid seasons 3-5 were the best and most popular cases of these elements. Whilst BTE had excellent aesthetics and a genial sci fi plot there needed to be more laughs.

Hopefully someone confirms something concrete soon rather than rumours, guesswork, or various people in the know coming out of the shadows and saying 'it's on' only to deny they actually know anything at all and dissapear again with their tail between their legs...so to speak lol

3. PudForever

PudForever Third Technician

Just seen on Guardian website under game reviews etc. Robert Llewellyn was at the bafta game awards and at the bottom of the article it states:
    "Llewellyn also confirmed that a new series of Red Dwarf has been commissioned, with Doug Naylor doing the writing, although filming is currently being stymied by the cast's diverse commitments.
    "
    Just thought I'd share

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Sounds familiar... *worries that it might be on constant hold just like the movie was*

5. betelgeuse

Why don't they just announce that filming will take place and that there will be a new red dwarf series on dave next year. There seems to be an imposed embargo, maybe by Naylor, on news about new red dwarf, maybe it's to prevent spoilers? or to stem the hype around the project??? who knows. But if the dwarf boys are 'stymying' potential or progress of a new show occuring by excitedly and understandably blurting out details of the new show, then why don't they just let 'the cat' out of the bag!!! I can only think that the series is not yet finalised and there are still some negotiations???

6. betelgeuse

unless they are holding out for dimension jump to announce it officially?

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well not that familiar - cast availability wasn't the problem with the movie.

You can't announce a project until it's been greenlit. It hasn't been greenlit yet. Amazing as it may seem, the cast are talking before anything's been guaranteed. If plans were announced they could be changed or totally revoked a day later. Weirdly, GNP are waiting until it's 100% official and definite.

8. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Well no... but it was on constant hold for various reasons.

9. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Would anyone here ever tell Robert Llewellyn a secret ever?

10. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Sure, unless it involved V8 engines being put into a washing machine.

11. Paul Taylor

There really are so many appliances that could be improved with a V8!

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Just make sure you don't let Clarkson improve any of them, as he's shown on several occasions that no matter how good the idea, he will mess it up! Or how stupid the idea for that matter!

13. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Exactly, your manly primal mechanical urges would render you powerless against not using them! I have been enjoying this fantasy now for the last 24 hours...it makes me smile. :-)

14. Paul Taylor

The thought of revving that iron while doing my shirts sends tingles down my spine!:twisted:

I'd get Robert Llewellyn and Chris Barrie to to do it, while Craig Charles commentates. Danny could just stand around being cool.

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well no. It was in various stages of development, not just hold - including pre-production, with a design department and crew gearing up, rehearsals happening, pre-viz, etc.

But I take your point that from the outside you're similarly grasping at leaks and rumours while waiting for anything official to be said. But film funding versus channel commissioning differ hugely.

16. betelgeuse

so what do we have to do to finally get this thing greenlit? lol it must be in the final stages of being on the way to being greenlit.....right???:?:

17. Trunkneck

Trunkneck Skutter

Sweet!

18. kenny222

kenny222 Skutter

As soon as this was announced on RL's Twitter I made a horrible mess on the bus. Can't wait. Eastbound & Down and Red Dwarf next year. Couldn't be happier now.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'll be 37! I wasn't too happy about passing the half way mark this year(between 30 and 40 I mean, not the half way mark of my life. Although it could be, for all I know.) and now another year!

Strangely, I don't actually mind the wait too much, as long as it's coming. It's just being that age when it happens... which makes little logical sense...