*NEW* Rimmer is dead?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

They never got the not being able to touch quite right, when he used to climb into his bunk you could see his pillow move lol :-)

Anyway, if it is the original rimmer who went off to be ace but has now returned, did he train a new Ace before he returned? Would he be capable? If he was, surley he will have changed and not be the bitter rimmer we all love

2. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

yeah so maybe it will be a new hologram, just hard light for some reason. I never minded the few inconsistencies though, you can't get them all. But judging by the amount of touch in the previes "grabbing onto escalators, leaning on crates, etc" he is definitely hard light.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

We haven't seen it yet. It's only a plot hole if we don't get an explanation (and even then that doesn't mean there isn't one.)

As for whether or not he is hardlight any more... the new trailer will answer that question.

4. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Series I and II have a different continuity from Series III-VI and Series VII and VIII are practically a parallel universe. Then again what is continuity in a TV series?.. especially in scifi.

5. jaybo1973

You are not far off the truth there; the flashbacks to pre accident red dwarf in series 7 shows rimmer and the rest of the crew wearing dark blue uniforms instead of the beige. Another reason why series 7 didn't sit right with me.

6. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

When they got rid of Rimmer in series 7 it was the beginning of the rapid decline of RD. & then having a non-hologram version in series 8 who hadn't gone through all the adventures with Lister, rubbish!!
    Let's hope its the 'real' Rimmer who was maybe sacked from his job as Ace!! The only Rimmer in history to have had that honour!!!

7. TheSinisterMrX

Well, also in Series I, Kochanski wouldn't even give Lister the time of day. But in Series VII.. there's flashbacks to when they dated?.. it's a complete alternate history.

Maybe the new special picks up from the Series VI continuity. I'm being sarcastic of course.. :P

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

They'd already changed the Lister/Kochanski history though in series 4's DNA . Lister mentions a time that he was feeling low after splitting up from Kochanski and that he'd wanted to switch places with a squirrel as a result.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That could be explained as being the uniform of Kochanski's universe. That would only really work if the universe forked further back in time though. I'm not quite sure how the whole multiverse thing works; i.e. is there a bunch of timelines all side by side where each eventuality is played out, or do you start with one time-line which forks for every event that occurs?

10. TheSinisterMrX

Yeah.. like I had previously posted.. Series 3-6 had a different continuity from Series 1 and 2.

Changing continuity happens when series go on for a while and you have lots of different writers who obviously can't keep up with the other writers or episodes.. but it was the same two guys writing it and each season only had 6 episodes a piece. You'd think keeping continiuty would be easier.

With the exception of the costume of Xev in the episode The Woz.. LEXX managed to keep a pretty tight continuity.. especially for a scifi series.

11. jaybo1973

A great show that explored this in greater detail was sliders. They travelled to a different parallel earth each episode. Another top BBC 2 show :-)

12. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Rimmer is Hardlight in the specials, i know Red Dwarf is not a bastion of continuity but the "Blue=Hardlight" is an established convention; seeing as how his costume changes colour when Legion updates the light-bee.

13. jaybo1973

This much is true and from the trailers, you can see he is hard light. However, im not entirley sure if he is bound by these rules, when he was softlight, he wore baige, a white tee shirt and shorts, green, red, a gingham dress, the reverse brothers outfit and listers clothes. When hard light, he changed into the Ace rimmer outfit.

14. jacksmith

Yes, holograms can change clothes (originally in series one two, and three via holly) via the hologram projection suite control panel. The reason he's blue when he's hard (hehe) is that it avoids confusion, he has changed back to the series III, IV, V costume axcept hes now blue and as far as we can tell hardlight, as has been sayed they never got the "i can't touch anything aside from myself" quite right, and him being able to do anything axcept die makes things much easier.

15. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Fact is, all minor continuity aside, he's Hard light. But the thing is, only Legion made Hard light, far into the future. So I can't really see how a rebuilt Red Dwarf could have Hard light holograms, as it was a one off, once made piece of technology, made three million light years from earth.

If the JMC planned it prior to budget cutbacks, then they were much better than we're led to believe! :-p

16. jacksmith

well if they're in the Mirror-universe? maybe the JMC did plan it? No idea continuity is inacurate at best and i love it for that,
    afterall all the series may be set in different multi-verses.
    Heres a funny thing you should check on Psirens: when they send the scouter into the direlict there's "psirens." spelt with blood (and a kidney for a full stop) now how can there be fresh blood on the floor for 3,000,000 years? maybe the ship was preserved in some way anyhow i laughed.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Maybe they went into stasis at some point too.

It seems Kryten might have, as he is described as thousands of years old, never millions. He must have jumped the centuries somehow as he was only created a couple of centuries after Lister and Rimmer's time period.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think with Red Dwarf, anything is possible. The backstory of the shows have changed all the time, so it could be any Rimmer whether he's hard light or not. There is no logic really

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

my theory, the episodes will start with the funeral of kochanski and post-VIII rimmer, who died in a hilarious way probably, when who should walk into his owbn funeral but Rimmer, Ace Rimmer... or at least what was once ace rimmer, after having little success he finally decided to return to red dwarf and rejoin his old crewmates..

cue "you replaced me with me" jokes

20. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

You’re all wrong. Its not Rimmer’s grave, its Talkie Toaster’s!!
    Ashes to ashes, crust to crust.