new series ideas you would like to see

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dunc7827, Apr 14, 2009.

1. dunc7827

dunc7827 Skutter

if they decide to commission another series what sort of adventures would you like them to have
    i would like them to run in to one of the cat ships that left red dwarf in search of fuchal maybe cat could have an evil twin brother could be quite funny. :-D hopefully a new series could have the same formula as series 1 to 5

2. JakeGould

JakeGould Third Technician

I'd wanna see Holly trying on new heads, Cat having a crisis and maybe buying from Space Primark, running into more Gelph, another Starbug crash, but a fantastic model shot of one like the old days and Rimmer passing an exam!

And never get the Red Dwarf crew back again, the horrendous series 8!

3. blow_up_the_outside

blow_up_the_outside Skutter

The TARDIS landing on Red Dwarf could be a very cool episode.

Arriving on Earth 3 million years into the future and it has been inhabited by the Cat People who left Red Dwarf.

4. Strata

Strata Skutter

I like these ideas :-D
    I think if the series thing continues, another person will play Holly somehow. Although Hattie returning would indeed be all fine and dandy...

5. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

On Dave's website dwarfer100000 suggested Bill Bailey as Holly. Now that sounds like a PERFECT idea. That's what I would like to see. Maybe a different head each series, as suggested above, and Bill for series 10?

RAGE

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Or a different head per episode?

In his computer senility he might have come down with some form of MPD.

(Okay, perhaps not such a good idea..)

7. Lee

Lee Third Technician

series 8 was great!!!

i would like to see them traveling to different planets and things, more gelfs, more weirdos like legion more space corp directives more polymorph style infestations more time travelling!!! MORE DWARF! to be honest id watch them sitting round talking for 20 mins :P

8. JakeGould

You'd be lucky, even in Doctor Who we are denied the luxury of seeing the one thing I watch it for, the TARDIS in much action, the easter special didn't even have it dematerialising or the sound, or the interior due to the set not looking good in HD, damn HD!

9. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

I think the future of Red Dwarf - if there is one - is as much about Rimmer. He was always the psychologically interesting one, with his penchant for fascist dictators. Does Rimmer want to be a good person or not? I don't think it's really resolved (it's resolved ultimately with the Ace Rimmer planet ring, but it wasn't resolved by anything we experienced, we just saw the ring -- let's see how the resolution happens, it's a whole world of new ground). It's pretty plausible that he would get into a near-death experience and think better of the whole Ace Rimmer thing (as BTE suggests). Who is he? Does he want to be good? Can he overcome his personality? Yes, but will our Rimmer?
    So Rimmer meets the season one Rimmer (if this won't work because Barrie is too old, Rimmer meets his son, who's like young Rimmer - that's better actually, the son who would have been in some parallel universe) and the dynamic is self-confrontation, and without certainty. Rimmer doesn't know who he is. Young Rimmer does something appalling, Old Rimmer is angry. But is it really who he is? I think it would be just as interesting (and funny) if he chose to be himself, but he has the substance to transcend himself.
    So run Old vs Young Rimmer, Rimmer's self-confrontation with the (so far somewhat vapid) Lister finds love theme, and you have something. Also a second writer is an absolute necessity. Laugh gap after laugh gap = The End.

10. JakeGould

It'll need loads of technobabble and some serious Starbug action, a new set with the classic look cockpit and HOLLY!
    Polymorph, Gelph, Holovirus and an inflatable bannana in the best set ever made, the RD bedroom, lol!

The new one looked dodgy, too blue with that TARDIS like console table. You could barely make out the bunks!

11. Lee

Lee Third Technician

jmc2000!! OH MY WORD THAT IS BRILLIANT!! :-D you should write for the show 8)

12. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

God no! Lister a brain in a jar for a whole series!!!! Yuk! If any of the main 4 cast members decide not to return then just don't do the series. Its all about those characters & doesn't work without one of them (series 7)

What could be quite fun is if by some freak accident Rimmer ends up downloaded into Holly & replaces him for an episode having complete control of the ship!! :shock:

13. MaroonedDwarfer

MaroonedDwarfer Skutter

The return of Jim and Bexley, Lister going to a London Jets Zero G Football Game, that would be ace!

14. SmegOnYourFace

SmegOnYourFace Third Technician

jmc2000 - I laughed more in the 3 minutes it took to read your script than in the whole of BTE - and I really LIKED BTE!! Well done man!

15. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

i would really like to see a back to basics episode . even if it was just them in the bunkroom for 30 minutes talking crap . i liked the bunkroom for bte and it was hardly used. if they got a 6 part series would like to see 2 back to basics episodes with a series 3 -4 feel to it . 2 episodes out and about on starbug .. and maybe a more action packed 2 part finale. rather than them spending all the money on big effects and explaosions on episdoe 1 and 2 like they did in series 7 and 8

16. Lee

Lee Third Technician

no no thank you was truely genuinely funny!!

17. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Rimmer as Holly would be good.

As for brain in a jar, maybe not a whole series... maybe a two- or three-parter or something.

Although as a general point, as much as I love the actors, I'm interested enough in the characters and concept to want more Red Dwarf in some format at least without some or all of them (I think a really cool experiment would be to do a full cast radio drama, with sound effects/ music etc., but just starring Chris Barrie... kind of like the logical next step from the audio books).

Put it this way - if *none* of the actors decided to come back, I would want, say, a comic or novel to continue the adventure.[/quote]

That could work, & could open up the scope for adventures not limited by budget. But as for the tv show, I wouldn't be that interested in it without the 4 main actors.

18. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I thought it looked great in HD.

The BBC have a funny policy where they don't want sets used for SD production on HD because it'll show up the fact it's naff in HD. In reality HD is an improvement of resolution by four times, and while it looks stunning and will highlight a cheap set, it isn't going to change the properties of what the set is built from, and essentially will look exactly the same.

For example, photographs of the TARDIS set still look exactly like the TARDIS.

Eastenders is going through the same thing. It's bloody stupid.

19. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

Ok things i'd like to see

1. Models models... bring back the classic models there is nothing like seeing starbug crash into the docking bay doors or crash land on a moon. You just can't create such scenes with as much humour as you can with models, it is one of the signatures of the show. CGI is fine but i'd hope for at least a mixture between the two :-)

2. Some new stories that are "out there" but also going back to its roots, characters playing off of characters. We've had amazing things over the years ranging from mr flibbles to rogue simulants, so i'd love to see that level of variation continued across series.

3. The holly thing.. Norman seems to be quite grumpy these days (droid rot?) so either get Hattie back or like many have suggested get Bill Bailey on the case, he'd be hilarious!

4. Bring back the bazookiods!

5. Either bring back the live audience or use a laugh track as i really felt that was the only thing i really missed on BTE. The laugh track isn't meant to tell people when to laugh.. (i don't get why people think this is the reason for a laughter track) but it is in-fact there to enhance the gag/joke and bring more energy to the scene! If you imagine the old episodes and particular funny scenes without the laughter, it will still be funny but you loose a large amount of atmosphere. Its just not red dwarf without it.

6. I'd love to see Ed Bye make a return as director too, his style helped shape the show over many years.

7. A few extra writers to help Doug with the series, this will help him as writing an entire series by yourself cannot be easy. Also it means you have the benefit of having a selection of writers who can help enhance an already hilarious script.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

When I saw 'flibbles' I was about to repeat what the boys said in the comic shop: "THAT'S STAR TREK!" Then I reallised I was thinking of Thribbles. Then I realised you meant Mr Flibble. I'd certainly like to see some of those things though. And I like rogue simulants. Up until recently I was so sure we'd see them in BtE. Hee, hee.

He would be good, but I'd prefer that they just bring back Hattie Hayridge.

Rimmer actually mentioned those in BtE (along with blasters and a laser-cutter and mini-mines, or somesuch.) Then in the diving bell scene, I saw Lister with quite a heavy duty looking gun. It was quite a bit smaller than the bazookoids though, but then the mark 2s from series 7 were smaller than the mark 1s. I wondered if that was the mark 3! Considering the bullet ricochet, it was a more conventional projectile weapon though. (Assuming that was the gun that was fired, I couldn't make all things out that easily what with them falling around all over the place.)

I'll admit, I missed the laugh track in episode 1. If they continue down the comedy drama route though, I wouldn't mind if they just left it out. I don't think it's really needed any more anyway, plenty of comedies do fine without it. It's just a matter of adjustment on our parts.

As long as Doug Naylor has creative control, I think this could be a good thing. It's understandable why he wouldn't want to do that though. People have said they think good sitcom writers should be used. I'd argue that decent sci-fi programme writers would be good thing too. I've always liked the sci-fi in Red Dwarf as much as the comedy.