new series ideas you would like to see

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dunc7827, Apr 14, 2009.

1. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Yes, I just may be one of those people that annoyingly resurrects old posts…the family is napping, and this seemed too much fun to pass up. Not enough time to edit, apologize for an typos…grammar issues and such.

First Episode: While searching for Kochanski, the Red Dwarf crew locates another attractive woman marooned on some far off planet. Rimmer amazingly manages to win her over but alas, he no longer is a hard-light hologram. Following the tradition of Bodyswap, Rimmer and his new love successfully manage to hijack Lister’s body to elope, Vegas-style, with the woman and enjoy their honeymoon. Kryton eventually convinces a very reluctant Mrs. Rimmer to return Lister’s body. She convinces Rimmer. Lister’s memory disk has been kept inactive and he awakes to find himself feeling hung over and strangely exhausted but…”satisfied”. Rimmer attempts to cover up his actions by telling Lister he got rip-roaringly drunk at the wedding and was in a coma from hitting his head.

Next episode: The crew is busy tracking a suspected space vessel. Cat and Kryton pick up an extra life-form on board. Kryton and Cat look at each other shocked. Kryton walks over and whispers something into Mrs. Rimmer’s ear. At first she chuckles in denial, and then looks at Cat. Cat nods and she sits down in complete shock. Lister has caught on to the conversation. Rimmer walks in and Lister starts laughing nearly uncontrollably when he tells Rimmer the news. Rimmer is elated and struts proudly around babbling about all of the wonderful things that he is going to do with Arnie Jr. Lister begins bringing up all of the spitting-up, burping and puking….proudly proclaiming his bachelorhood and zinging Rimmer. Rimmer defends and states this is his proudest moment in his life, becoming a Father. Mrs. Rimmer erupts into tears and runs out of the room. Rimmer is confused…and suddenly Lister has a realization. He approaches Rimmer stating that a hologram can’t have a child and accuses Mrs. Rimmer of already being knocked up when they found her. Rimmer has an “OMG” moment..standing motionless. He exchanges glances with Kryton who attempts to get the Cat out of the room. Holly comes on the screen stating he detected another vessel. Lister continues to rant on trying to convince Rimmer. Cat comes back in with a bowl of popcorn to watch the show. Rimmer explodes in anger and tells Lister the child is his. Holly blurts it “didn’t do it,” and vanishes again. Lister briefly looks up confused. Lister assumes Rimmer is accusing him of having an affair and defends himself vehemently. Cat squeals with glee and now has a soda and straw in his hand. Rimmer turns his back away from Lister. Lister stops in complete confusion. Kryton re-enters to address the alarm and bops Cat on the head in passing to get his attention. Kryton says “It appears to be Ms. Kochanski!” Simultaneously Rimmer winces and loudly confesses he stole Lister’s body to elope and go on his Honeymoon. Lister is the father of Mrs. Rimmer’s child. ¾ shot on Lister who says “Oh Smeg” before his eyes roll back in his head and he hits the floor.

....perhaps more appropriate for an American soap opera? ;-)

2. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I'd like it to return with a stronger driving overall story arc (like trying to find Kochanski). And fingers crossed, that's how it's going to go!

Also.. Isy Suttie as Holly please! :-D

3. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

You've got the beginnings of a fanfic piece here!

4. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

One thing i would like to see is an older tv stlye of titles. The one thing that bugs me about lots of tv today is the titles usually include lots of footage your going to see in an episode thats not been viewed yet, Ahhh no spoilers please. It really does spoil the suprises and gags in some shows.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[*] id love to see the models back over CGI, but i know thats pretty unlikely because CGI has taken over now

if norman wont return as holly then hattie hayridge

some original clever storys, less simulants

new ideas and gags, less recycled material

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

There haven't been that many simulant stories!

Let me see, we have had,
    Justice
    The Inquisitor
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    Rimmerworld
    and Beyond a Joke.

Okay we can include Series 3's The Last Day if you like. Hudzen 10 was a mechanoid, not a simulant but due to insanity close kissing cousins, so to speak. I'm not counting the Chinese guy from Back To Earth. That was a great visual gag (and didn't it have us wondering when we saw the screen-shots! Hee hee) but a rogue killer biomechanoid he isn't.

That's 7 episodes, 1 or 2 episodes per series. Four series (1,2, 8 and BtE)without. Not that many really and they're all GREAT episodes. (Possible exception being Beyond a Joke. Personally I'd disagree as I love it but I get the impression I'm in the minority.)

And often, when simulants did feature, their screen time tended to be small, if pivotal anyway. Think about it. What is the first thing that tends to spring to mind when you think of Justice, Gunmen and Rimmerworld? (Actually Justice might be a bad example considering the way it ended but most of the story is about Rimmer's trial. We almost forget about the simulant... until he turns up leading to a brilliant face off and Cat's comedy fall.) Even in Beyond a Joke where a simulant was the main threat, it was really about Able.

So simulants (or any sci-fi critter for that matter) and 'well written episodes' are hardly mutually exclusive. I'd love to see some more creatures as long as the stories are well written. Not every episode, but then I wouldn't want to see just 'four guys alone in deep space annoying each other' ever episode either.

I'd particularly like to see how gelfs look with modern visual effects. Original gelfs I mean. (People tend to think 'kinitawowi' when gelfs are mentioned, but they're actually a very diverse bunch.)

7. matty9896

matty9896 Third Technician

Perhaps a flashback episode where we see how lister and rimmer joining the crew of Red Dwarf (pre-Series I), or we finally see the events of Dad...

8. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

A flashback episode would be brilliant but would be severly hampered by the ageing process! Getting Chris and Craig to look like they did in series 1 would be a tough order - it didn't work in series 8 and I don't think it would work now.

Ideas.........

--Holly back and have an episode centred around him/her
    --Have a scutter based episode - scutters go militant?
    --Have an episode based around Rimmers light "be" where his image changes to different members of RD all the time ( I know that's been done to a degree in the past, but I think there's lots more mileage in that story line)
    --Have an episode like the Star Trek one with all those silly furry animals that keep reproducing all the time (I forget their names), that could have some really comic moments in it.

RAGE

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Of all your ideas I think this one has the most promise...not because of what was done in TOS with "The Trouble with Tribbles" but because of what was done in Deep Space Nine with "Trials and Tribble-ations" where the crew, via time travel end up influencing the events of the earlier episode from behind the scenes.

I have thought for a long time that there is the potential for something very, very clever and of a similar nature to be done with the Red Dwarf episode "Stasis Leak" which was never properly rounded off. All we need is for Lister to grow a beard and Rimmer a moustache and the seeds will be sown ;-)

10. caitlin

caitlin Skutter

Get rid of kris id say , cos 1. lister wudnt go for her.too strict. hardly his 'dream' gal. 2: she not funny. 3:i think it makes it harder to make romantic episodes.

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Its worth remembering that Chloe Annetts Kochanski isn't the Kochanski Lister initially fell in love with though, she's a parallel version with different personality traits much like all the other parallel dwarfers. This combined with the fact she's his biological mum makes me wish she would dissapear down a time hole only for the original (and by that I don't mean actress) Kochanski to somehow return, (possibly through the events of Stasis Leak, hint hint).

12. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

All that.
    Holly trying on new heads, Tardis landing on Red Dwarf
    Seeing Earth 3 million years into the future, they could meet Cat People who left Red Dwarf, that could be interesting.
    More explosions, paradoxes......

13. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

If they did a pre-series 1 flash back it could EASILY work. It doesn't have to look realistic, just funny. Take Friends and the flashbacks to when Ross, Chandler, Rachel and Monica are all much younger, at school and college. Give them a different stupid hair do of the time they are meant to represent, make 1 really fat and the other a big nose and there you have younger versions of the characters being played by people 10, 15 years older than the characters. It works so well because you know what they look like know, and a bit of dodgy make up to represent a younger version and you have great visual comedy.

I too would also love to see Stasis Leak resolved, only problem is Lister tells his present day self that they find the time machine 5 years into the future. Apart from the fact we are now 15+ years not counting stasis on from that point in time, that line wouldn't make sense, although I'm sure Doug could write his way our of that hole.

You could argue this is the time drive of series 6, but this has been destroyed unless they magically find it hasn't (which I wouldn't like and wouldn't believe)

The basis of the episode could be Listers divorce. He could find Kris at some point in the series, (maybe she has found a time machine or something and wants to help the crew get home using it. It true dwarf style they smeg it up, end up at the (past) time of Stasis Leak, Kris in a moment of madness realises she loves Lister, they get married ... he then does something stupendiously stupid like sleep with the wrong (younger) Kris (hence the scene in the bedroom with her, work our the marrige part there later, mayeb he marries them both) and our current old Kris finds out, divorces him and decides to stay behind and die with the rest of the RD crew when the drive plate blows.

That would kill 2 birds with 1 stone then, ties up Stasis Leak and gets rid of Kris from our screens for the people that don't like her!

Hopefully that all makes sense, just came up with that as I started typing :-)

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Parallel realities in this context are not just roads running side by side. They're forks. So if you go back far enough, they're the same.

This means that at some point Lister's universe and the universe of the parallel Kochanski at one point were the same. Which also means at one point the two Kochanski's were the same. The fork occurred when one Kochanski discovered Frankenstein the cat, and one did not.

That's not to say you're not right in that different experiences will make different people, although we never got to see our universe's version develop since lost a whole lot of weight following the accident. (Sorry slipped into bad-taste for a moment there..) but the Kochanski met in the flashbacks is the past self of both, and judging by how she acts in the flashback of Ouroboros she isn't all that different. She's still a slightly posh middle class girl, even if CP Grogan played her differently. We see two different women, CP Grogan and Chloe Annette, but the characters in-universe see the same person.

If you read Last Human I think you'll see that Doug always intended her to be quite posh. That version of Kochanski is quite interesting actually as she seems a bit of a mixture of both the other two. She is quite posh like Chloe's version, but is quite saucy like CP's.

15. plasmo1

plasmo1 Skutter

In a word Holly either one male or female or maybe somebody new. Here is thought I had look at the guy who played Gordon (Holly was playing postal chess against him) in a early series he is still alive, maybe him. Cause Norman is turning into grouchy old man. Female Holly Hattie would be ok. :-)

16. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I am such a geek about this. Watching my male kitten-cat had me thinking last night (such a spazz). I would like to see more from Cat. There are some real cat behaviors that I would also like to see the character randomly go into.

Feeling the urge to sit on any piece of paper left around
    Compulsively chewing on bits of thin plastic wrappers
    Randomly attacking the legs or feet of people passing by
    Kneading feet
    Stealing somebody's chair if they get up for a second because it is warm
    Being awake and attacking things all night, when others are sleeping
    Being lazy and refusing to budge from a comfortable spot
    Choosing a strange place to sleep, such as the paper recycling bin at my desk.

17. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I keep thinking that myself when I watch my own cats. They should make him a bit more cat-like again as he is getting a bit too human in the later episodes.

As for choosing strange places to sleep, I have found mine sleeping in the litter box before :shock:

18. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I would say the original and alternate Kochanski's are quite different. Most obviously, Clare Grogan's KK was written for most of her appearences as just Lister's secret crush. This is a Kochanski who likes Lister and who flirts with him and isn't in as complete disdain for him as Chloe Annett's Kochanski. The original Kochanski is more of a ladette - clearly a working class girl who enjoys having a laugh and can be a bit cheeky. This is far, far removed from AU-Kochanski who is clearly a posh bird who comes from a sheltered/rich background. The sort of girl who goes to the opera, theatre and art galleries for fun. Not the sort of girl who likes to go down the disco and dance to pop tunes (like we saw in 'Balance of Power').

19. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I think they tried to return Cat to his feline origins a little in Back to Earth. I would also like to see more cat traits returned to Cat.

20. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Doug Just asked the question on the Official Red Dwarf Fan Page on facabok 'if there was new Red Dwarfs would it be better with or with out live audiences?' - give your thoughts straight to the man!