Newbie Introduction and Red Dwarf Marathon??

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by currymonster, Apr 6, 2009.

1. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

Hi Everyone

I'm new here, not to the site but to the forum. I am a HUGE fan, as most of you I guess I own every DVD and video released, which was a painful yet exciting journey tracking all the vids down after they stopped releasing them, (with the exception of Body Snatchers which I am unable to justify!!) Anywho visit the site once a week for updates and what not and only this week started reading the forum for everyone elses views on BTE ... something I get more and more excited about by the second.

It has just occured to me, about 10 mins ago which is why I created this account. A few years back me and a friend attemtped to watched all 52 eps of RD in one sitting, 26hrs (or there abouts bare in mind each ep is roughly 27mins long so really around 24hrs 15mins ish) of pure Red Dwarf, nothing else! However my friend being more like the Cat than he cares to admit bottled out after series 3 and went to bed, me being at his house at the time found it rude to stay up on my own so turned in for the night myself.

What has occured to me is this. I return from work around 7pm each evening. 7pm Thursday being exactly 26hrs before 9pm Friday ... anyone see where I'm going with this yet??

I am going to attempt, with ALOT of caffine, and a good curry (followed up by cornflakes and grated onion for breakfast) to watch Red Dwarf from, beginning to End - or 'The End' to 'The End ... THE SMEG IT IS' and follow it right up with the first new episode of Red Dwarf in 10 years.

It then further occured to me to not do this alone, but knew better than to ask my mate again as he would probably fall asleep right about the time Lister finds a traffic cone 3million years into deep space on a ship without a crew! So I'm throwing it open to anyone out there who wish to join me, virtually that is, in a chat room or something (didn't there used to be one on here many many moons ago??) and we can chat about each episode and what ever else takes our fancy while we waste a very good day off work, watching a very good sit-com on a [very] good Friday.

So whos with me??

Would be great to get a whole host of people involved, the more the better obviously, keep us all going for 26 hours, with enough time (the extra 2hrs nearly from the difference made up with each ep not being quite half an hr long) to do what ever we like inbetween, get some food, get a drink, toilet breaks, fag breaks for the smokers among us etc.

Personally I'd be impressed by anyone that has made it all the way to the end of this, let alone through 26hrs of RD but hey ho ... sorry if its a bit long!

Curry Monster

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with that.
    I'm not going to do that though. I don't want to fall asleep during the new episodes, which is likely what will happen if I watched all the series back to back before hand. (Assuming that's what you meant?)

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Have you ever done a marathon like this before? If not, I warn you now: it is not as easy as it sounds!

Way back in October at the start of the year (academic-year) I did one of these marathons, although it was shorter (17 hours) as me and my housemate watched the entire second series of 24. In theory it was easy. In practice... no...

....just no....

You have no idea just how much you do with a day until you do practically nothing else! Including the essentials like eat, drink and use the toilet, I did a total of 6 things throughout the duration of that day! It is a terrifying premise.

And that's ignoring how difficult it will actually be to stay awake throughout the whole thing. The two of us were starting to struggle at the 2am marker, no matter how much we drank (in terms of caffeine products). It is not something to be taken lightly.

In spite of all that, I wish you the best of luck! You will probably need it!

4. currymonster

Hi Guys,

I realise its gona be a tough one, although I do have quite good endurance, and I'm bloody stuborn. If I set myself a goal I have to do it just to prove I can! I haven't as such tried a marathon like this, (well last time as I said we gave up half way but that was mainly down to my mate) however I have a bit of an obsession with box sets, especially sci fi. X Files, Star Gate SG1 etc, (sh!t how much of a geek do I sound :? ) and I have found myself spending entire weekends when I have nothing of any importance to do, just watching them from the minute I wake up till the minute I go to sleep, while doing other things of course! This one is going to be completely different I know that, what with only have 26hrs to fit in just over 24hrs of t.v. but I recon I can manage it. I'm sure as hell going to give it a go anyway :-)

If no-one else is interested in trying with me then I'll just keep a regular diary on here, let you all know how I get on, then if it suddenly stops, you know I'll have fallen asleep haha

5. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I realise it probably sounds like I'm trying to stop you, but I'm not. Honestly! I just want to make sure you have an idea of what you are up against if you try this.

I think we share the same mentality in terms of doing something just to prove you can. Just remember though, that the day is different to the night. You will have to fight the NEED to sleep. If I didn't have my friend there I don't think I've have made it through my marathon; we sort of kept each other going at times. And you have to go longer than I did (26 vs 17).

Good endurance is one thing, this is going to be another! I sound like a right doomsayer don't I?

And for the record, you don't sound like a geek. I've got a lot of box sets myself, and for some reason keep acquiring more....

6. currymonster

Yeah Dan stop ruining my fun haha ... only joking.

Seriously thanks for the concern, I hadn't realy thought about the on my own bit, all the other all nighters and stuff I've pulled I've been with people and more or less actively doing something!

Well anyway whats the worst that can happen, I fall asleep during Listers great speech on the power of the ability to lie he gives to Kryton in Camille, DVD comes to an end and I wake up some time on Friday with the menu screen on the Series 4 DVD staring back at me!

As for the box sets, I can't help myself either. I've got the Lost lost but have never watched them as I saw them all on the TV when they first aired!!

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

:crying: *starts to cry* :crying:

Nah, just kidding.

Seems you have a better idea of what you are getting in to now. And you are right, the worst thing that happens is a DVD plays to itself for a while. Although it'll really annoy those hippies, it doesn't matter. Thinking about it... annoying the hippies is just another bonus!

8. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I once played pool for 36 hours for charity.
    2 of us did it, starting at 10am on a Friday and finishing at 10pm Saturday night.
    The early hours of Saturday were the hardest part, once past mid-day we got our second wind.
    Wouldn't want to do 36 again but 24 would be about right - be an awful shame to fall asleep just as Back to Earth was starting though. ;-)

9. currymonster

yeah forget global warming, lets ignore the fact I might set the house on fire when my dvd player over heats while I sleep lol.

Anyway, I think the fact I'm still awake at 1am on a Monday night knowing I have to be up for work in 6 hours and there is little sign of me getting to sleep any time soon (what I wouldn't give for a re-charge socket with the standard 3 pin adaptor) is also in my favour in way of a defense.

On that note I really should try and sleep

10. currymonster

Before I go though, hey Pete. Well done on that amazing feat, I'd surely wouldn't manage 36hrs of pool, but then again I can't play pool to save my life (knock those balls round the table all night long and never loose one in a pocket etc etc haha)

Well you know when I am if your intested, and I think by the time the new ep is on we'd all be too excited to sleep :-D

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I once watched the first 6 series which was about 17 and a half hours. That was ok, but I decided not to do it again when more episodes were made :lol:

12. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I'm spending this week of my easter holiday to watch all the episodes (including bodysnacther and identy within) in order.

13. currymonster

well looks like I'm doing this on my own then. Will keep you all posted as to how I get on over the course of the night / day

14. currymonster

Right ... I've started! Red Dwarf ep 1, The End. Wish me luck!

I'll keep you all posted to how I get on

15. currymonster

Anyone know why they didn't get Robert Bathurst back to play Todhunter in series 8?? Would have been a great character to reprive

16. holsy1982

holsy1982 Third Technician

I suspect it was down to Budget, and timescales. He'd have been busy doing Cold Feet I'd imagine when it was filmed.

17. holsy1982

holsy1982 Third Technician

Oh BTW, good look with the marathon. Wish I had the time, energy, commitment, and most of all know where my DVD's are, to allow me to do the same.

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

He was asked, and would have liked to have done it, but he was unavailable. On Cold Feet, I think.

19. currymonster

ahhh shame! think Ackerman is a great replacement though. will talk more about him in 22hrs haha

on another note... as they are doing a kind of homage to the Cat entrance in ep 1 in BTE, hope they have some really cool Cat-esque music to go with it!

20. currymonster

its also just occured, the Cat race evolved in the hold, with all the food supplies yeah ... and at some point, think its in the first novel, that the cat that works out how to use a tin opener opens all the cans of food to save the race from dying out! Soo where does Lister get all his food from once he is out of stasis ... bare in mind 3millions of cat evolution would require A LOT of food lol