No Applause Please!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by teddyrogers, Mar 7, 2009.

1. teddyrogers

teddyrogers Third Technician

I read that in Back to Earth there will be no background applause (laughing) during the funny moments and gaffs. This will be the first Red Dwarf to be screened without it. Good or bad?

Ted.

2. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Skutter

I don't mind, lol

I think one of the principal reasons are that they did not want a studio audience was that they do not want any spoilers leaking into the 'net

3. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Personally I'll miss it.
    It's an essential thing, Red Dwarf is a classic show like and the laughter track comes as part of that package.
    A formula like that shouldn't be messed with.

The fact the specials werent filmed in front of a studio audience has nothing to do with the absence of a laughter track.

They have filmed without a live audience before for only one series. The whole of Series 7 was filmed without a live audience and a laughter track was added afterwards.

For Red Dwarf the Back To Earth specials will mark the first time a laughter track is not added.

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

True, though series VII was shown to an audience. It wasn't canned laughter - so the new episode would still have to be 'spoiled' to get the track.

But I think everybody feels that VII's timing was sometimes put off by the cast having to leave 'laugh gaps' that were impossible to judge. A live audience creates a totally different performance vibe.

Regardless, I think you'll see when we reveal the three shows that this was the right way to go. Every new series of Dwarf reinvented the show a little, this is just the next evolution.

5. ParaNoia87

ParaNoia87 Skutter

I'm gonna miss the audience. It adds atmosphere to the jokes. But because there new red dwarf episodes i can see why they would want to keep the story a secret.

6. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Do you miss having laughter on comedy shows such as Scrubs?
    I can't say I do, as long as the material is good and makes me laugh I don't care and I doubt I'll notice it's absence to be honest. If on the other hand the shows are terrible then the silence will be deafening... but in that case having laughter on it wouldn't make a difference any way.

I can understand there being audience reaction if a show is filmed in front of an audience but why add a laugh track if it hasn't been? Personally, I don't need other people's laughter to validate my opinions on what I find funny or don't.

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I hope everyone else sees the irony of "I don't care about audible laughter" followed by "lol"

8. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

I've been watching series 7 with no laugh track and the formula still works.

"KRYTEN: Let me see, sir. I'm a mechanoid, for goodness' sake. I won't be revolted no matter *how* you look.
    LISTER: Okay.
    KRYTEN: Oh my God, it's hideous! *girly laugh* "

I still lol'd at that :-D

9. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

I'm going to really miss it. It's part of Red Dwarf and without it I don't think it's going to be quite the same. I'm hoping after release, they get a laugh track in for the DVD release. Would be great :-)

10. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I dont think it should really make that much difference.
    If the jokes are good people will laugh whether or not they hear someone else laughing!

11. JMC1701

JMC1701 Skutter

I don't think I'll miss a laugh track too much, but RD always seems more enjoyable to watch during the scenes that were filmed in front of a live audience, you have that sense of shared amusement and "live" performances. This was sorely lacking in series 7, I think. However, it must be so hard to create a technically complex show such as RD and combine it with a live audience - it was easier in the days of the "bunk scenes", sure, but not so much as the show has evolved. Of course, I'm one of those purists that prefers the first two series :shock:

12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm hoping the tone of the show will be a bit more in the style of comedy-drama, which is a bit more modern than the sit-com style and works well if it's written properly (which, of course, it will be). I can't wait! My mind is wide open and craving comedic nourishment!:-)

13. ch

ch Catering Officer

Whether I liked previous changes or not, I think it's kind of brave of the makers to take another turn at some points. Maybe if they hadn't people would complain new series being too much of the same.
    As there not being laughter was planned from the beginning I trust it was the right choice and it will work out.

I absolutely didn't, I can't even remember there not being laughter on Scrubs, a series I like very much.

14. admuz

admuz Second Technician

I have never once laughed at Scrubs. I don't seem to get it :?

15. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

The laugh track thing is a funny one.
    Anyone old enough to remember M*A*S*H* being shown on BBC2 will recall that the BBC showed it with no laughter track. It came as a terrible shock seeing it on non-terrestrial TV with canned laughter all over it - which spoiled it for me.

Dwarf is an entirely different thing and I think the missing element is, as others have mentioned, reacting to and playing off a live audience. It gives the performer that extra bit of adrenalin and the opportunity to milk a line (or a salute) for all it's worth.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm kind of torn. If the laughter and clapping has to be like it was in series II opener Kryten then I certainly won't miss it, but it will feel kind of odd at first. Having said that, should the movie ever get made, you wouldn't expect a laughter track on that, would you?

17. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    I love the edition of the laugh track in the shows. So yeah I would miss them. I mean, they make me feel I have friends with me also watching the show. Wish I had some friends that actually liked the show around here. :-(

18. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

See if people are to use Scrubs as an example of no laughter track, then we've got to hope that the specials will manage to use music to help in the same way Scrubs does. The soundtrack is going to be more important than ever before seeing a joke can't be made more contagious with a touch of laughter track thrown in for good measure.

19. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I think once television audiences get used to comedy without laugh-tracks, they'll look back on the days when they felt they needed them and be embarrassed. Of course we're used to them now and it's odd not to have the laugh-track, but we really just need to be reconditioned.

I really love it though when something very unexpected is pulled on a studio audience, and they don't know what's happening at first, and then they have a delayed response, sometimes very positive, sometimes just confused. There was a lot of that in years one and two. Occasionally something just wouldn't get a laugh!

I would love to see MASH without the laugh track. They didn't have acting pauses for the sake of the laugh track, as I understand it.

20. Slipgater77

Slipgater77 Skutter

It doesn't really matter in the end because.............RED DWARF IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!