No More Red Dwarf Petition

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrtrebus, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

After the catastrophe that was BTE I can’t be the only one thinking that bringing back RD is a bad idea.
    It should be quietly & humanely taken round the back of the shed at the end of the allotment & shot in the head, as you would do to a much loved but terminally ill pet.
    Who’s with me? :evil:

2. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you die.

3. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Maybe not no more Red Dwarf forever, rather No more Red Dwarf until they hire a full team of expert writers.

4. Mr523P

Mr523P Skutter

What's the point in this? There are plenty of people who would love for Red Dwarf to have another series or two. Just because you were disappointed with Back to Earth you want to spoil it for all the fans who genuinely want to see more Dwarf? If you don't want it, just don't watch it... no need to ruin everyone else's fun. :?

5. mrtrebus

EH? Wouldn't I have to die FIRST then go to hell?!?

6. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

You know, a normal, rational person would say that if you don't like it, then you should simply stop watching it should there be any more made. But I like how this poster seems to be of the view that either they like it or no one else that actually did should be able to get any more series.

Moron.

7. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

Second That

8. robjungle

robjungle Third Technician

No, the man´s right. It´s over. I don´t want to see anything like BTE ever again. Making more would just further ruin the memory of a formerly great show. Thankfully BTE was soooo bad that I reckon Red Dwarf has got about as much chance of being picked up for another series as Craig Charles has of staying off drugs.

9. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

Smegheads.

The fact is the majority of fandom do want more Red Dwarf projects to be produced in future. There's just a very vocal minority who didn't like Back to Earth, but nobody has tried to spoil it for everybody else by trying to start a petition to end Red Dwarf for good, until now.

I think it's very inconsiderate of everybody else who did like it. If more Red Dwarf is made just don't watch it, meanwhile the millions of fans worldwide will watch it. Can't believe that people can be this unbelievably selfish.

10. mrtrebus

Yep, I'm a moron for not liking something & advocating that those of the same opinion form a counter-petition to those wanting this once great show to return.

11. mrtrebus

You honestly think that my petition would carry that much weight in the decision making process! WOW, you've given me all the encouragement I need to continue in this endeavour! :-D

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thing is, the specials had a specific tone of story. I don't think a new series WOULD be the same as this. I think it would probably be more in the comedy drama route, like series 7, but I have a strong feeling it wouldn't be exactly like these specials.

Not that I disliked them myself. (I liked some parts, and wasn't so sure of others.) If their the usual 6 half hour stories, they'll likely be denser and more gag ridden for one thing. (That seems to be the main issue.) Personally I don't mind a more mature tone being included as well though. A lot of the best parts of this were the sad thoughtful moments.

13. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

No, I know that your petition won't influence anything. And if you know that too I fail to understand the point in making one, except for clogging up the Forum. Not only that but it's the type of selfish thread that can cause debates to become a lot more vicious.

There's numerous threads for people to vent negative opinions on Back to Earth, use them if you wish to do so.

14. ListerofSmeg89

ListerofSmeg89 Skutter

Personally i thought BACK TO EARTH was pretty good (Only Dissapointment for me was no Sign of HOLLY :-( That Would have been brilliant to have Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge Back) and i especially Love Car-Bug (Get a Company to make that Car...) so i have a feeling that Dave will say sometime in the near future "Here Doug, Do More" so personally i have a feeling this petition is going to end badly anyway (The Petition on GATEWORLD to stop STARGATE ATLANTIS from being Cancelled was unsuccesful as MGM, Sci-Fi and the Producers Decided to end it already).

If and When Dave Produce More RED DWARF shows i, a loyal fan, will be there whenever Lister, The Cat, Rimmer and Kryten return and be there on every step of the Journey at 9:00pm.

So, and don't take this the wrong way, don't attempt it as they won't look at petitions and negatives - it will be ratings and i'd say besides a few of the naysayers - they had a lot of faith in it. Souldn't that faith be rewarded by at least giving them a 2nd cance?:lol:

15. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

If you want to be a smart-arse, read Dante first.

16. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

We're all entitled to our opinions, and please don't take offence, but all this is starting to feel a bit too much like trolling now. :roll:

17. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Well, you said it ten times better than i ever could.:-D

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Fair enough. Cloud, everyone seems to have missed that it's a South Park quote, but it's probably still a little harsh.

let's all calm down a little, shall we?

19. darthstuey

darthstuey Skutter

I just don't understand anyone who thought Back to Earth was good. I have watched Dwarf for twenty years and it is without a doubt the greatest tv show ever but this was as bad as Highlander 2 or Batman and Robin. Labour of love one poster says- how- why?

I sat bemused through the whole thing- I didn't understand why they would even think it was a good idea- League of Gentlemen beat them to the punch a few years ago and what was with the Blade Runner fetish?

It was badly made- obviously lacking budget; the cast looked utterly disinterested and Lister and Rimmer especially were not how I know them- there were no jokes (jokes are funny- this wasn't); the Coronation St thing was utterly crap but the Northern accents were slightly amusing; the references to the Dave tv channel were soooo cheap- God it goes on. It was like a really long and bad Comic relief special where nothing funny happened.

If you love Dwarf like I do and you liked this then please let me know how. I tried to like it; I watched it twice but just found nothing there.

I found series seven sub par but found things to enjoy. I loved, loved series eight- the rest of the crew were great and Rimmer and Lister constantly being marched to the captain's office was hilarious.

I am GUTTED by what I watched this weekend- no one I know thought it was good and I fear those who do are just too afraid to acknowledge how bad it really was.

At university in the early 90s I watched series 1-6 on loop every night for four years- at least two episodes. When I got to the end of series six I just started all over again. I will never watch Back to Earth again and if they do make a new series and it is the quality of this then I won't be watching that either.

I wish it had been different.

20. BozBoozy Christmas

BozBoozy Christmas Deck Sergeant

I still think that if it did get another series after this they would have the good sense to put it back in front of a live studio audience. It works best that way. I would be more than happy to see the dwarf continue if they listen to the concerns of the fans and not completely pander to the whims of the studio honchos who write the cheques.

In my opinion, BTE was slightly disappointing but like the Star Wars prequels and reruns of Count Duckula it was never going to be EXACTLY how we remembered it.