No More Red Dwarf Petition

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrtrebus, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I just don't trust Naylor to stray from the BTE style. Why would he? I don't know why people assume that he would revert back to how RD was (funny amongst other things) rather than continue in the same vein as BTE. Wasn't BTE made to show tvland as much as audiences, how RD could work in today's telly market?

2. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

What I don't understand, is why couldn't they have just made the comeback better? In the first place I mean... I'm actually with the OP in the sense I can see where he's coming from. I would however like to see more RD, though think it unlikely.

We're all squabbling like this, and the reason is, because the quality of the show simply wasn't up to what it should and could have been. Why not?

They had 10 years to come up with something... anything! Something original, you know...? That's where the divide stems from. It's odd to me that Doug Naylor would spend all that time hawking round a script for a film, and then discard that script? Is that what he did? Or was this it?

3. Akko666

Akko666 Skutter

I had to join just to post my opinion on this. I, as one of the most annoying things to happen in my life, spent to the weekend away with the family to see my mother who has no television!!! So I had to wait and watch all three episodes tonight. Of course that did bring the advantage of no breaks and no waits for the next episode ;-) but the disadvantage of losing the team a valuable viewer on the night upset me no end.

However, in regards to the episodes themselves, I personally found the first 5 minutes of part 1 agonizing to get used to as the jokes seems so unenthusiastic and empty, a mixture of the actors aging performing appearance and lack of laugh track. But I soon got right back into it and laughed my a*se off.

Those who have said it looked so low budget and had very cheap gags and references to the real world for laughs need to remember: it always looked and seemed low budget, that was half of why it was so damn funny!!!! The way monsters actually did look like men in cardboard boxes, the way lister would be in mid air and then we'd suddenly see him flat on the floor instead of filming a real stunt jump, it all added to the silly impossibility of it all. Just like how Trey Parker and Matt Stone have South Park comment and demonstrate on how bad their animation is in its own film! (btw Cloud, I often use "You go to hell, you go to hell and you die!" as a common friendly insult too, think it's hilarious XD)

In conclusion, I think the specials showed that the show could continue in many ways, and that what has been perceived as bad acting was just the actors ages showing, which reflects the time they've spent on the dwarf anyway and so are continuous with the episodes.

(I also think the theory on banks all being completely useless and obsolete as well as money could all become sooooooo true, brilliant stuff)

Hope I made a few of you think, and I'm sure some of you will shout at me because you think you're more right than me, and to you I say smeg off to smegsville and smeg your own smeg in the smeg with a great big smeg because I don't mind, you're entitled to your opinion just as I am.

Toodles!

4. Axeface

Axeface Skutter

Seconded.

I dont see what all the hate is about. I admit, that when I watched the first episode, I was angry and worried.
    But after seeing all 3 back to back it's obvious it's a labour of love. I think back to earth was great.

So no, i'm not with you. Sorry :-)

5. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

Delete this thread.

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Abit harsh to ask for total RD termination:shock: I didnt like the three parts but I would like more RD, series 8 was quite good and with careful writing and listening to us series 10 can be good too, just bring back that laughter track hehe

7. ytsejam

ytsejam Skutter

it's a quote from south park. kind of like BTE; i got it, you didn't. now please do as the man suggested.:P

8. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

i for 1 was well happy with BTE thought it was great.
    that J L is just a moron. i think everyone should have opinion but starting a anit petition is just nobish
    say ur opinion, stop going on about it and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else.

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Now you've got it! First thing you've said that's made sense so far.

10. devwebb

devwebb Skutter

Man, this thread should be deader than A-line flares with pockets in the knees.

My honest opinion: I think some people actually need a laugh track in order to get some humor as anyone saying there is not a single funny joke in this new BTE special just has no sense of humor. I don't know why some Dwarfers disliked series 7 and 8 so much either. I fully agree that 7 and 8 were not as good as the previous series but I still found them really funny and more than worth while watching. Back to Earth I have to agree is even less funny to me than the least funny Red Dwarf in prior years. However even it still had some very funny moments and I did get entertainment from it and am very grateful that the cast/crew and the Dave channel put it on for us. I think Doug Naylor would've done better to have used a more a-typical dwarf episode style than the whole "fictional character/reality back on earth" theme. Re-using the idea of the despair squid a female joy squid was kind of a cop-out I would agree with those that were disappointed with that. Now moving beyond that some of the jokes were really good, and the acting I thought they were more or less right back to their old selves. I completely disagree with all of the complaints about it being poorly acted. The actors I felt were all perfectly in character, the complaints should be against the material that was written for them. I miss those great one liners, there was a few but it just seems the jokes were much more thinly spread than in previous Dwarf. I definitely would like to see more made and I'm sure going back to just the crew stranded on Red Dwarf with only one another to converse with and come up with "more ingenious ways to waste time" will bring it back to life. I think the biggest negative in this new special was having all these characters of people in England to communicate with. Crazy insane characters like the good old Dwarf days are all the crew should encounter, not jack and jill on a bus talking about the TV series. But that's just my opinion. I really do hope they make more and return back to the old swing of things and bring back male Holly as well!!

11. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Has anyone heard the phrase 'jumping the shark'? Sometimes it is better for a show to end while it is still excellent rather than carry on and fade away. X Files jumped but Fawlty Towers didn't. Unfortunately I think RD jumped after series 6. I still enjoyed 7 and 8 but don't think they are nearly as good as the earlier series.

12. SXWolfgang

SXWolfgang Third Technician

Smeg-off

We want more Dwarf!!

13. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I would love more Red Dwarf... Well more good Red Dwarf. But I'm not sure we are going to get any more good Red Dwarf and would prefer it to end rather than churn out rubbish.

14. drewwypoo

drewwypoo Skutter

This is insane, Ok this is a petition created by someone who didn't like back to earth and doesn't want a new series made because it will spoil the other series? for one, it wont. And to say that back to earth wasn't that good so no new series should be made is absolute idiocy when considering even back to earth was better than half the total mind numbing toss that fills up british airwaves everyday including big brother, celebrity this, celebrity that, every countries next top model and fat people making themselves thin etc etc. Back to Earth was a bit of a let down at first glance, but it did have a fair few good bits and alot of laughs if a new series did go into production it (hopefully) would have a bigger budget and even if it didn't turn out that great im sure I would still enjoy it more than most the rubbish on the tellybox these days.

15. lexicrowley

lexicrowley Third Technician

I thought it was alright and had a couple of good moments. I could definitely see potential in another series.

16. ytsejam

ytsejam Skutter

Look, for those of you who didn't care for the new stuff; fine, don't watch it. But j l, don't try and take my fun away. You don't have some hi and mighty right to determine when something I enjoy is no longer suitable for me. Perhaps you feel that red dwarf owes you something and that if it can't live up to what you want from it than it should be punished for neglecting you. Meanwhile we who still enjoy it should also suffer the wrath of your arrogance for not checking with you first to make sure it was ok. You don't want to see it go on because what, it would tarnish the good name of the old red dwarf? Give me a break. It's not a child that needs your protection, it's a tv show, and I, and many others happen to like it. But oh no, red dwarf is yours, and you need to protect it, keep it safe from change and growth like a hopeless little fan boy who thinks they put the show on just for you, and you just allow the rest of us to watch. To put it plainly: screw you j l you monumentally self-involved prick. Take your inflated sense of worth over to some star wars forum and mouth off about how Gorge Lucas owes you a personal apology for jar jar. Or just go cry in a dark corner about how your daddy never loved you or what ever your dumb little problem with life is and leave us little people who like a tv show alone. Oh, and if you can find the time between kicking puppy's, ripping up old lady's flower beds, and just generally destroying anything that may make other people happy, you may want to look into some mental help.:-D

17. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

I think this phrase is overused but I see what you're getting at. As there are so many definitions of what constitutes 'jumping the shark', one of which is the departure/replacement of a main character, you could argue that Red Dwarf jumped at the beginning of Series III - same character, different actor/actress. Same with the David Ross/Robert Llewellyn switchover. Or Hitler's 'very special guest' appearance at the beginning of Timeslides.

All I'm saying is that the show has never taken itself too seriously - the continuity issues, for example. I try not to concentrate on whether RD (or any show) has 'jumped' and just enjoy it for what it is - a funny show with great characters and storylines. That's all I want.

However, if Kryten had turned to the camera at the end of episode 3, shrugged his shoulders and said "Heeeeeeeeeey," in true Fonzie style, I'd have been upset. ;-)

18. DaleBennett

DaleBennett Third Technician

this petition is stupid. most RD fans want so see a new series, just because you're part of a small minority that didnt like back to earth doesn't mean you should petition against it. just dont watch it. why spoil it for others? personally i like the specials and think there should be more red dwarf

19. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

At university in the early 90s I watched series 1-6 on loop every night for four years- at least two episodes. When I got to the end of series six I just started all over again. I will never watch Back to Earth again and if they do make a new series and it is the quality of this then I won't be watching that either.

Giggle. How embarrassing. Well, I can certainly see your position, and have to agree that from your point of view, there would be no point in any new series. Likewise, there would probably no point in ever watching any other shows either, not to mention ever reading a book, going to a movie, or retiring the old anorak.

20. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

*High fives!!