No Skutters then?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

With only two episodes left to air it's looking increasingly likely that we aren't going to see any Skutters in RDX, in fact they haven't even been mentioned.

I know that the CGI skutters have always been unpopular but I guess the radio controlled type were just too budget busting for series X? They seem a peculiar omission from the show.

2. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Here's part of an interview with Doug

“I think it will happen, but it hasn’t been commissioned yet”, says Red Dwarf writer Doug Naylor when asked if there’s likely to be a Series XI following the successful debut of Series X’s first episode last night. Naylor and the cast seem more confident than these cautious words suggest, and it sounds like they’ve all but put pen to paper on the new contract.

Questions over whether or not Holly, Kochanski or any of the others might make a comeback next time round are left open by Naylor, who frankly admits that he doesn’t know: “with Series XI, because I haven’t written any shows, I can’t tell you”. He does seem fairly certain, however, that the skutters, the little maintenance robots that spent their time flipping off Rimmer and watching John Wayne films won’t be making a comeback. “They just used to bash into the walls,” says Chris Barrie.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

In that case they should get a nice send off in an episode rather than do a disappearing act

4. bedfordfalls

I read on the Red Dwarf Wikia that the CGI skutter from BTE was provided practically free of charge in exchange for the "payment" of a signed script.

Further evidence of what a labour of love BTE was for all involved and why people need to lay off it with their boring "lazy" accusations.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

they took the series 8 one's apart i gather and they cost about £2000 each if i remember right, but then series X has model shots, audience which took up quite alot of the budget it seems, and everyone complained about the CGI skutters

6. bedfordfalls

You'd think Craig could call in a few favours from his Robot Wars contacts. I'm sure some budding Red Dwarf liking engineer could help Doug out for free. :P

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I would love to see the skutters back , in fact I would also love to have a go at making a radio controlled one. Anyway here is a loink to a folded card model by Mike Daws that you can print and make yourself. I believe Mike has made a number of red dwarf card models.

http://mikedaws.deviantart.com/art/Red-Dwarf-Scutter-155498843

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Labour of love? Shame the same "love" wasn't applied to the "lazy" script. :roll:

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

10. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

RIP The Skutters :-(

I always liked them!

11. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

WETA Workshop would probably do it dirt cheap if they asked. They've always been nice about that sort of thing.

I think their role is being replaced by that of the Dispensers, though. Too bad, I miss Pinky and Perky.

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

This sounds like a competition! Create your own Skutter and, if good enough, it will feature on Red Dwarf XI!

(come on Doug, you know you want to)

In any case, I do miss the Skutters. They were a reminder that the ship is a lot bigger than what we see and there's more stuff going on all around the place. That and they were amusing without being too intrusive (unlike what we saw from the vending machines in F&S).

If they are truly gone, here's hoping they're looking down from the John Wayne fanclub in the sky...