Norman Lovett MySpace

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DanMcGrew, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DanMcGrew

DanMcGrew Third Technician

Hi all was just on Norman's Myspace and this is wat i saw

So far there have been 3 reasons in the press why there is no Holly in these programmes that are being shown over Easter on the Dave channel. 1 No budget 2 Didn't want the crew dragging a computer around with them on earth 3 A water leak caused a short circuit and caused the computer to break down.

This gives you an idea of what the people who make Red Dwarf (GrantNaylor) are like and you will be able to read all about them and the cast in my auto biography which I am working on as I speak. I watched Chris, Robert and Danny on BBC Breakfast News this morning. Talk about laughs take a holiday.

I will be watching the shows but I really don't see how it will be any good because it's not shot in front of a studio audience and they're not trapped on board Red Dwarf which was it's main strength when it was character comedy.

Everything is done by one man (Naylor) and he can't do everything well. Bring back Grant and get a good director (Bye) and it might have stood a chance. And Holly with some good gags of course.

Not one of the cast have got in touch with me which just shows how self centred they are. I'm not bitter just unhappy about the way I have been treated by them. By the way GrantNaylor you still owe me money for the Red Dwarf movie rehearsals.

Happy Easter everyone, Norman

Dosn't sound too happy!

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster Skutter

That's very saddening to read. :-(

3. DanMcGrew

DanMcGrew Third Technician

Not good i know, would have loved holly in some shape or form in the new episodes!!

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

All three of these are true. The budget's lower than ever and Holly doesn't fit within the story, and thus a rationale was devised for the character's lack of appearance.

If Holly had a useful, and cost-worthy, place in the show (remember an actor isn't just their fee; Holly'd need another Red camera, a practical HD monitor, secondary set-up, and we only had 14 shoot days), I guess Doug could have invited Hattie to do it. As it is, it would have been a pointless cameo that cost more than it gained.

I've tried to support Norman's projects over the years, and I still respect his talent, but 'pencil this and we'll see' is a standard request. I've been on hold for projects that then went ahead without me, we all have. That's the business.

5. Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger Third Technician

the fact of the matter is when Kryten came in Holly's part, as it was, became redundant. Compare how little Hattie had to do in seasons 3-5 with how much Norman did in Seasons 1-2. When they brought him back he was basically there for a couple of gags here and there. Kryten does what Holly used to and with the budget being as tight as it was (I don't know an exact figure but it sounds pretty tight) some stuff had to go. I really understand why Norman isn't too happy about it but I do think its a shame he is burning bridges, if the series is picked up again no doubt the budget would be higher and so Holly could easily be brought back again. As it stands this is looking less and less likely though.

6. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

....I'd have thought he'd have been over it by now.

This is all he seems to write about, he's just making himself look like a 15 year old internet troll with blog posts like this. =/

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

norman is acting like a child, i gather his career is going no where and his one chance to get back into the spotlight didnt happen down to budget and he is bitter.

he is being very stupid, doing all this out of bitterness and in almost revenge but in the long run where will it get him? no damn where, holly aint been written out and will proberly find a way of going on weither he likes it or not

i want to be fair with the guy but im finding it hard after reading that :?

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's a shame that Norman feels the need to sulk so publicly like this. He comes across as quite a jovial, friendly guy in the DVDs, but just lately he seems to do nothing but whine.

9. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

It is remarkably childish. He does have to remember that it is increasingly difficult to unwrite material in the age of the internet and that public venting will be on record for ever.

For someone that has spent his career in the business of comedy and TV acting, it is amazing that he has had such a whine about this job. Holly was never the centre of the Red Dwarf universe; but he seems to feel he/she was. Ask any fans what they think of the Holly-less Series VI and they will probably think it one of the best.

I also think it's awful to have such a personal swipe at Doug for directing. I'm sure we'd all want Rob Grant back: but moaning about Doug doing so much to bring back Red Dwarf is awful.

the swipe about not yet being paid for rehearsals is also a private matter between Norman and GNP - he shouldn't have brought that out in the open.

I doubt he'll come to the conventions now since he's been so rude about his co-stars...

10. Wandering_Ranger

true true, why did he walk after series 2 incidentally?

11. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

He didn't walk. Actors have other projects. At that time he had his own Series. He wanted to concentrate on that.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Norman gives his reasons for leaving in the "It's Cold Outside" documentary on the Bodysnatcher DVD.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The short version is that Norman wanted to not come to rehearsals anymore. They said he couldn't do that but could have fewer days with a reduced fee. However Norman refused to accept less money.

14. TheAmazingDannyKing

There's an Irony.

"I want to skip rehearsals and keep the same pay."
    "I want to be paid for my rehearsals and skip the fact nothing came of the project".

:P

15. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I have to agree with that, he seemed to get on with the cast during the DVD recordings and as far as i know he's been quite nice about them generally, i like to see this as him simply 'venting' no excuse of course, just something to think about. I remember seeing him on Nuts TV (yes, someone actually watched that channel!) a year or so ago mentioning taking one prozac a day or something, i thought he was joking at the time but wasn't sure, does he suffer from Depression or something?

16. TheAmazingDannyKing

It'd make sense I suppose but who knows the real situation.

Norm's book will be unrealistically biased, as will the view from the other side frankly. It seems pretty clear to me that Norman actually has enthusiasm for his character of Holly, infact it seems clear he has his own vision of it, which was the Series I-II Holly he played and largely defined.

Red Dwarf has never had a real place for that Holly since, and I don't think he's ever fully come to terms with it. Series VIII was a step in the right direction and I think being turned down from Back To Earth is clearly a step backwards in Norm's eyes and he has every right to feel bad about loosing the chance to play his character and try to redefine it.

It's his attitude and behavour that is the issue. Instead of doing it privately or being professional and accepting it, he's clearly taking his ball, going home and making a lot of noise in the process.

The trouble with Norm is he is neither here nor there. If he cared about the character so much he'd have done it for a reduced fee, or even free (bet my left bollock Hattie would have for some reason, she always struck me as an unrealistically loyal puppy-type) - and reaped the benefits from that. But he wants a full pay-day and limo to/from work every day too no doubt.

I think it's best to let him have his rant, no doubt the cast and crew will forgive him again when he calms down. If he calms down. If he goes ahead and slanders everyone off in a book of course, well, it's his bed and all that.

17. teeheehoddleha

teeheehoddleha Third Technician

Just happened to catch the comedy connections show on Dave about an hour ago, and Norm was moaning on there too. Whenever you hear or read anything he's got to say about the only show that made him anything close to a household name, he always seems so bitter. Thankfully, Chloe Annett has had the decency to handle this situation with more dignity - she could quite easily have gone down Norman's route, but clearly has more class.

Still, he was good in Queeg wasn't he.

18. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

In a nut shell Norman is jealous that he didn't get invited back! his performance in series 8 was dreadful anyway.

Considering Red Dwarf is his ONLY claim to fame (it's put him on the map lets be honest) you'd think he would be more greatful!!

Very silly thing for him to write!

19. Wandering_Ranger

no thats wrong on two fronts Mr E Smeg. First, Norman is understandably cheesed off that he cleared some time for the show then didnt get asked back. There is no doubt he is behaving a little oddly bur jealousy has never come into it. Second, his performance in series 8 was dreadful in your opinion. Please don't state as fact what is only opinion.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought his acting was decent, but the script didn't provide him with much in the way of decent jokes. He did have one funny moment however:

HOLLY What do you want, the long or the short version?
    LISTER Ooh... long.
    HOLLY You're finished.
    CAT What's the short version??
    HOLLY Bye.