norman lovett not changing his mind

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jun 13, 2011.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it dont look like he will be changing his mind about returning so it might be the last we seen of his holly, and infact he sorta regrets returning to the show for 7 and 8 :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7i-ySrfLgQ

i think its a shame he feels that way

2. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

It's sad to watch that and also kind of awkward. Norman obviously looks uncomfortable when Chris talks about the new series and Chris doesn't look too pleased with the Series VIII comments. It is nice to know that the two of them don't have a problem with each other now though.

If Norman isn't involved in any new series then it will be a shame as he co-created that character and Doug has basically intimated that he and Rob found it easier to write for Norman's version of Holly than they did for Hattie's (and not just because Kryten came along).

It's intriguing to hear Chris talking about Rob's contribution as a writer because (completely understandably) that's something that was missing quite a bit from the DVD docs.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

It's like somebody burned his bridges and he now says "Well, I didn't want to cross anyway!"

I'm kind of relieved. I loved Norman as Holly. But really wanted to see Hattie in the role again should it ever be needed.

4. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

To be fair, Norman has said many times in the past that he felt that when Rob and Doug split up that the quality of the show nosedived so there's nothing new there...

Obviously Chris saying that Doug is going to be writing solo was to be expected but it's still a shame. I guess the problems that forced the writing partnership to break up would be very difficult to overcome now for Rob and Doug to collaborate again for any length of time.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think doug made alot of mistakes after rob left, but i think he is a talented writer, he just needs to stop trying to copy the best of dwarf and try and figure out what made red dwarf great.

i have a feeling holly wont be involved in the new series at all for some reason

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That's a great film! Not just for Norman Lovett's views though. Thanks for posting.

It's good to see they seem comfortable enough with each other regardless of any disagreement Norman has with GNP itself. (No reason why they shouldn't be, but some people can be a bit funny.)

7. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

Great link, thanks for posting.

Ah Norm, Norm, Normy, Norm, Norm. What a guy.

Did he ever go into detail about how his nose got broke? I know it was while playing football, but was it an accident?

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Great little video, and so recent too. Does anyone know what the convention was?

I find it refreshing to hear Norman criticising series 8. As far as I remember he's the only one who offers any bad criticism of the series on the DVD commentaries; the rest of them just give endless praise. He also gave me a good laugh at 5:27.

I think Holly should be permanently retired now. Red Dwarf worked perfectly fine without the character in series 6 and 7, and there's no need to bring back Hattie just for the sake of it.

Also, Chris still can't do Craig Charles' voice.

9. ben996

ben996 First Technician

series 8 was one of my favourite seasons,
    well i hope he changes his mind but if he says no then looks like it's hattie then

10. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

*sniffle* Well, there go my hopes of Hattie and Norman appearing as feuding siamese twins in the next series. :-(

11. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I agree that maybe the character should be retired. The budget will presumably be tight for the new series and Holly probably wouldn't be essential to the plot. The only reason to bring the character back therefore would be if it were genuinely funny and Hattie's version of the character, certainly by Series V anyway, wasn't.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i suppose with no holly, the new series would be like series 6, just aboard red dwarf with the search for kochanski

13. ourrrob

If I was Hatt Hayridge, I'd be rooting around for the old black polo-neck.

14. ourrrob

Is it polo, or polar? Whatever. Bet she's digging.

15. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

To be honest, I just think this shows how human they all are. While I am sure there are two very different sides to the story about his treatment, I am glad Norman can on the one hand criticize certain aspects of the show but obviously still be a fan of the show in general and nice to fans.

I still hope someday when in the UK to just happen to bump into one of them on the street.

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

To be fair to him Norman is obviously uncomfortable saying these things in front of Chris so its not like he's just shooting his mouth off with no regard for the other man's feelings. If you look at his body language and the way he keeps crossing and uncrossing his feet, climaxing with the bizarre moment when he looks down at what he's doing and seems genuinelly surprised to see his own shoes it tells you alot about his conflicting emotions.

What I find more interesting about this Q&A is Chris Barrie's attitude towards Craig Charles career on Coronation Street. It seems very much like Chris feels like Craig is wasting his time and/or talent by taking a settled role in a long running soap.

17. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

While I doubt he was being entirely serious, I think Craig and Chris have almost entirely different attitudes towards their careers. It seems like Craig has never turned a job down and is a workaholic. Chris meanwhile generally does whatever is easiest and consequently quit Dwarf because it was too much like hard work and collaborated with the Brittas team for far too long.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it seems like norman has always expected special treatment, like the way he talks about how much he was payed, or how he wanted to skip rehersals if he came back for series 3

and then i remember reading an interview somewhere that was in the early 90s with him saying he would never return to red dwarf

but obviously time heals wounds and he came back to the show, but it seems like he is just doing it again with BTE, like he is bitter holly hadnt been written into the story and he feels cheated so decides to write a book about how bad he was treated by grant naylor

but who will most likely buy his book? red dwarf fans id say, but is he expecting rd fans to jump to his side after this, because i doubt it

and then in recent interviews he has said its a shame because he feels his at the right age to play holly now and that some people can be very selfish about it because he feels the holly character is based on himself, well he needs to make his mind up

19. ourrrob

Just watched "Back To Reality" with actors' commentary. While the rest of the gang were recalling the bits and pieces they'd walked off set with, Hatty remarked that she'd never even taken the black polar-neck home. So yes: it is polar. And no: she's not digging.

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

What's interesting is Chris seems to be saying everyone was under the impression that Rob was the more important writer and they were surprised that Doug played an equal role! And he doesn't make it better by saying what Doug has done on his own is brilliant, cos well it isn't generally. The only great solo penned episode is Tikka To Ride. Now I'm not saying Rob on his own would have done any better, because Last Human stands up well alongside Backwards (the book of course) but Chris actually implies that people thought Rob wes the more creative, whereas before I just assumed they needed to work together.