norman lovett not changing his mind

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jun 13, 2011.

1. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I have always enjoyed Norman's performance in Red Dwarf. I can't make any personal judgements about him, because I don't know him. The man makes me laugh.

2. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Well said.

3. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

+1

4. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

People tend to often hold two (or more) diametrically opposed perspectives on a single event at once. Maybe Norman Lovett really does feel he has been unfairly treated by some of those apart of GNP, but at the same time shares an affinity with show and cast. Maybe these two POVs are irreconcilable. Same with the rest involved, who knows who is telling the most objective account of what actually happened. I don't think Holly will be needed in the new season personally...but I am no hardcore dwarfer either...yet. Interesting thread :-)

5. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Norm has done so much moaning he aint in my fave five right now dawg.

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I like Norm but the obvious anger he still holds from being replaced with Hattie is evident and its a shame, he always always seems pissed about that fact when he is questioned and I think that is one reason why he isn't coming back for series X, like he's making a solo protest...still. I agree with him about the quality of RD but lets be honest here, what else is he gonna do? not like he's a frontline star for the BBC, just take the job Norm and enjoy.

He's abit of a misery really from listening to him on many clips, I know he is quite deadpan but he does moan.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While he certainly did seem smegged off at being replaced by Hattie*, I'm sure that's not the reason he doesn't want to return for Series X. It's mainly what he perceives as his mistreatment when BtE was cast. Emphasis on the word perceived.

As to what he's gonna do, I think he has an established role as a stand-up comedian. We don't see him on the telly all that often, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a measure of success.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if he and Doug Naylor would patch things up.

I hope they bring Hattie on board for Series X though.

*Although it should be added that the two seem to get on well enough. I believe he was the one who suggested her for the role of Hilly in Dimension Jump in the first place and they've toured together in their stand-up roles.

8. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I think Norm is still bitter about the way he was replaced after series 2, although I certainly agree with him that the standard of the show dipped when Rob Grant left the writing team. I can also understand Norm's regret at returning for the end of series 7 and then later series 8, as Holly's role was drastically reduced and crucially, as Norm stated, he wasn't as funny as in the first 2 series. Whilst Norm does have a huge ego (something that he himself has readily admitted more than once) I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with him about at least some of his criticsms of the show, specifically in regards to the later series... *sighs* :-(

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think norman judges the series by fans reaction, as he says in the videos that he aint even sure if he said anything funny in series 8 which i find an odd thing to say, but im guessing he got so much praise for series 1 and 2 that he seemed forgotten about in series 7 and 8

so i suppose he doesnt have people saying hey norman that dog gag in series 8 was so funny

10. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I am an expert on this...he didn't say anything funny in 8.

11. 57194q

57194q Guest

norman left the first time because his salary wasn't as big as the other actors

as for back to earth listen to the director commontary:roll:

12. 57194q

57194q Guest

what about 'man who becomes a dog' and 'your finished'?:lol:

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well that's just...not really the story at all.

14. 57194q

57194q Guest

i got 2 sources

wikapedia and some other website

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

You've got...Wikipedia?

And some other website?

Give it up, Andrew! You're dealing with a pro.;-)

16. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I'm not sure he needs to use the fans' opinions as a basis for his dislike of those two series. He has complained about them for a long time...even before the recent falling out.

17. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Very true! Norm left the first time because he had moved to Edinburgh, and was unable to negotiate a way of remaining in the show with the producers due to the travelling distance. It had nothing to do with his salary.

And I agree with Nicko, I don't believe Norm's dissastisfaction with series' 7-8 has anything to do with the fan's views.

18. 57194q

57194q Guest

cloud strife is wrong

man who becomes dog
    your finished/bye
    2 years in the brig
    moon impresion
    nostriloma
    and 'cell inspection 2 miutes' is just what i can remember off the top of my head from seiris 9
    that were funny holly gags

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As far as I'm concerned the only one of those that's up to the standards of series 1 and 2 is the 'You're finished' one. The rest occupy various levels of my annoyance scale with the 'become a dog' sequence somewhere near the top.

20. 57194q

57194q Guest

what about the running 'moon ipression' gag it was practisly 'april fools' :!: