norman lovett not changing his mind

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jun 13, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

A while ago I remember reading something about some bod who was trying to come up with the formula for a joke. That's what I think of when I read the above and the 'Paris' joke. It's like the writer knew that the formula was A+B=C but couldn't work out what A and B actually were so just tossed in the first things that vaguely resembled them.

2. 57194q

57194q Guest

couldent they just make up a new holly again?

3. 57194q

57194q Guest

you should

4. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

It was Norman himself who came up with this one though right?

I know plenty of writers have said that you have to be wary of using stuff adlibbed late in the day as it may seem like a good idea at the time when in fact it's abysmal. This is a good example. I'd like to think that the writers/Ed later regretted including this.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think writers often second guess themselves. Comes with the territory really.

7. 57194q

57194q Guest

what about a new back up computer in the place of holly?

8. Anacron

Anacron Skutter

Montréal, Québec, Canada, Earth, Sol System
    I guess i am rather late for a reply to this thread, but i had to get up to date with everything said and formulate an adequate post in my mind.. so here goes.

We've seen most every interview and/or commentary with Norman Lovett in the Red Dwarf extras + YouTube vids, etc.

One thing comes up often and Norman admits to it himself - he's a pain in the butt, plain 'n simple.

I can see both sides of the coin, but to be honest, i have to side with Doug on this one.. I can't imagine having to work with someone that is constantly whining and has an ego as huge as Norman does.

The reason, as I understand it from re-seeing the video commentaries today (was bored and decided to re-watch old stuff i'd downloaded), Norman left at the end of season 2 was because of his health issues & him moving to a new town (or something, not very familiar on England geography, sorry, Canadian over here!) that was quite a distance from where the rehearsals were taking place and he opted not to travel to them and preferred to only do the live shows - and as a surplus, expected to not have a drop in pay.

Now, i dunno 'bout y'all, but if i decide to do 25-50% less of my work at my job, there's no way in hell my boss is going to give me the same paycheck at the end of the week, am i right? IMO, i think Norm was trying to find a strategic way of getting a pay raise since "he wasn't getting paid as much as his co-workers" and this is the solution (albeit retarded) that he found - and it didn't pan out. And with Norm's ego, as inflated as it is, he didn't want to look foolish/wanted to stick to his guns and therefore quit after Season 2. Fine, i can understand that, i've been as wrong as that in my past as well.

He did/does however constantly complain that his part in the series diminished over time - and once again i have to refer to my previous point "I can't imagine having to work with someone that is constantly whining and has an ego as huge as Norman does.".. so i understand how the writers might've been less enthusiastic about writing his part as time went on and slowly cut it down bit by bit..

Now, colour me clueless about how Brits operate*, act, think, etc.. in the workplace compared to another parts of the world.. but (as an example) American actors that b*tch about the writers tend to die the very next episode - ie: Charlie Sheen/Charlie Harper - Two and a half Men. That being said, maybe it's a common occurrence(sp?) and normal for people to be passive aggressive or whine more, etc - like i said, i have no idea.

* I don't mean to be impolite or racist or higher than thou or anything, I just don't know how the work dynamic is in Britain compared to North America - in the same way that there's a lot more sarcasm in British TV than American TV.. just the 'way it is'. So, no disrespect :-).

In any case, I think a lot of what Norman has said in the past is unjustified - i do see every other person working on the show as being thrilled of having the opportunity of working on a great show like Red Dwarf and i'm sure that if they all had to take a pay-cut because of 'the budget' that they'd do it anyways, just for the exposure and/or thrill of doing it/being tied to the show. Hell, i'd be in it for free, just so i could tell everyone i was! (i work as a Ubisoft part time VOLUNTEER game tester, just because i like their products so much, so..)

Anyhoo.. i liked Norman as Holly, liked Hattie as Holly - hope one of the two will be back in Season X, but if it is Norman, i hope he smiles and nods and tells everyone how much he loved working with the RD team and nothing else or i might have to put him on my "never again" list.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

norman wont be back for Red Dwarf X because his book is out the same year as the show airs and his ego is probably through the roof at the momment

10. 57194q

57194q Guest

listen to the back to earth commomtary

11. 57194q

57194q Guest

it could work you know