Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Well we now know who won't be on the commentaries.

3. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

Does anyone care about what that miserable, bitter, old bastard has to say? Didn't think so.

4. jacksmith

He always was a little bit bitter and always moanin', chor blimey the stuff he bangs on about in series 8's commentary.

5. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

Also we know who won't ever be portraying Holly again. Or who won't ever be respected by Dwarf fans (the only people who know who the hell Lovett is) again.

6. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I think it's getting to the stage where, if he appears at Fan conventions again, he won't get a very positive response.

7. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he find out by email that he wasn't going to be in it? A phone call or face to face meeting would have been nice. About the only worse way is text message.

8. jacksmith

This is the cut and thrust world of showbiz Simon, and besides he would've just moaned or demanded too much pay than the budget would allow. So long Norm.
    I don't think he will turn up for dimension jumps will he? Surely after he kinda-ish insulted the cast i'd expect a few things to be thrown, insults and objects alike.

9. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

Fair enough, I think anyone in Norman's position would of been gutted, it's only natural. He should of however conducted himself with dignity rather than having a trantrum and throwing his toys out the pram. Also it's not just about BtE, he was exactly the same all those years ago when he left, the only difference then was there was no Myspace for him to vent his anger. Let's face it, love him or hate him, all he's really ever acheived in his career is Red Dwarf so he should be thankful to GNP for giving him something to be famous for at all rather than personally slagging them off. What's more pathetic is he's writing a book about his experiences in Red Dwarf, about how he suffered the tyranny of Grant Naylor.

His 12 year old internet troll impression is almost as good as his moon one; slagging off GNP, Red Dwarf and the cast (personally) on his little Myspace page for a bit of attention is low. It's sad. There's a good chance of their being more RD which would of probably resulted in him being called back as Holly, after his little rants on how he'll never work with these terrible people again there's no chance now (which is a shame since he was great as Holly). If there is more RD he'll probably be regretting his little internet trantrums as he watches someone else play Holly (a character who he obviously feels emotionally attached to) knowing he threw away his one chance of getting back in the public eye, his one chance of reviving his career (not like he had much of one in the first place, but you get my point).

10. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

Of course he didn't like it... he wasn't in it. No real shocker, here.

11. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

he had no place in the story did he.. ok they could have done that story without katerina there at all as kryten could have made the portal but seing as most of it was set on earth why have holly there ... if he had just said ok thats fine .. and they ended up getting another series from this im sure he would have been involved .. but him being the bitter old bastard he is had to make a massive point about it .. probably to promote his book.. if there are any more episodes after this i hope the skutters have not dried him out

12. myarkstir

myarkstir Skutter

Hum.... just to be the devils advocate, but why is "his myspace" link leading to some random user's photobucket.

If its on his myspace, why not link the original?...

13. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

was a screenshot from one of his friends pages comments - not hard to find such comments all over - just follow his friends lists...eg:

"I put up info that I didn't mean to because it's for my autobiog which I'm working on at the moment. I can let you know that I will not be working with RD/GrantNaylor again as I have been treated appallingly by them over the years and there comes a time when it has to end.
    Cheers, Norman"

Taken from : http://www.myspace.com/martincurran68

Funny how he removed the blogs - could be something to do with the flaming he got for them

14. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

It would be great if Holly returns to RD, just portrayed by a different head than Lovett's. By that I mean having Hattie Hayridge (a woman who knows how to conduct herself with dignity) play Holly again, or maybe a different actor altogether. It would be great if they made references to Norm's behaviour in the show:

Lister: Hol? Whatcha done to ya face?
    Holly: I thought I ought to change it.
    Rimmer: Why? You never minded looking like an ugly bald goit before.
    Holly: 'Bin doing my research. Ever heard of that Myspace thingy?
    Kryten: Ah yes. It was a 'social networking site' which was very popular in the early twenty-first century. Of course, by the year 2010 it was discovered that Myspace was a badly constructed, waste of life and that nobody actually gived a smeg about each other's favourite music, favourite movies, photographs, blogs etcetera etcetera. Soon after Myspace was shut down and people started making friends in real life again and communicating with people that they actually physically saw. Eventually even the humans worse affected by Myspace, known as the 'attention seeking nerds', re-intergrated into society. They were even re-thought English.
    Cat: So what's ya point?
    Holly: Well I've managed to find one of those Myface page things. They were preserved on files so future generations could see how primitive concepts such as the internet worked back then. Here it is:
    *Holly's face is replaced by a Myspace page. Characters start to read it*
    Lister: Bloody hell! What a smeg head!
    Rimmer: Holy smeg! Mr. Sad Pathetic Git or what?
    Kryten: Yes, very disturbing. This technology gave such people an output for their bitnerness. Miserable old, whining man and the internet. Lethal combination.
    Holly: Exactly. It was a pretty face, but the thought of sharing it with that pathetic old fart makes me shudder.
    Cat: So what happened to it? The face?
    Holly: Don't worry. You won't be seeing that face ever again. Not even if we go on for another 3 million years.

15. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

I'm sensing a case of droid rot.. can a computer with an IQ of 6000 *cough* get droid rot?:roll:

16. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I think Norman should have been in BTE, he is great as Holly.

17. frizzler

frizzler Skutter

no its legit, if you google his myspace "Normal Lovett myspace" you will find the same results. But the guy's page he left the comment on is here:
    http://www.myspace.com/caboose_91

he's hidden his comments do you have to have your own way of viewing them

18. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

The guy who's profile it is posted it on IMDB in his own thread.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094535/board/thread/135682869

19. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Maybe but it would still be polite to actually take 5 minutes to make the call. It's not a hard thing to do to let him know and a quick reason behind it. He might still have reacted badly but at least it would show some manners. (Hi Norm. Look I'm really sorry but Holly isn't going to be in the show as we have had to remove anything potentially funny to make way for a dumb blade runner rip off.)

20. xennibubz

xennibubz Skutter

Are we 100% sure that the comments are true? There are just so many idiots pretending to be other people online.