Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Woah now back up there. Kryten is a robotic toilet attendent. he's been able to break his programming and do many things but creating a multi dimensional portal would be stretching things as far as...ooh, I don't know, a mirror universe maybe.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Did anyone here actually believe that Norman would give a positive review of Back to Earth?

3. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

Normans back stabbing comments have been going on for a while now, mostly aimed at GNP.
    Despite the fact that he was used on 'Beat The Geek', openly sells Dwarf memorabillia for his own means (autographs etc), and had his 'Double Header' tour supported by this very site.

Frankly, he comes across as a bitter and twisted old git.

4. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

I believe Kryten found the Matter Paddle in the Science Area (forgot what he called it exactly). But he did adapt it to make the Triplicator.

5. robjungle

robjungle Third Technician

I really don´t get this thread. Norman Lovett was a great part of Red Dwarf when it was still good. So what if he´s said BTE was crap? It was! Whether you agree with him or not, isn´t he entitled to his opinion, especially as a former part of the show? Leave him alone!

6. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

I have some sympathy with Lovett. He would obviously have had more of a career if he was a "pretty boy". And lots of "pretty boys" make careers without any of the talent that he obviously had. Don't know how much talent he DID have (never saw "I, Lovett"). But comedy shouldn't be about looks -- Larry David would have never had the chance to make a sitcom if he hadn't proved himself as a writer on Seinfeld. Jerry Seinfeld got the chance because he was telegenic. And even if you get the chance sometimes good sitcoms get cancelled if they don't pull in audiences immediately (even Cheers was almost cancelled in season one, a season of strong shows -- it was the lowest rated programme on the network).
    So the system is flawed and success is much harder if you have the talent without the looks -- ie the system is bizarre. And Lovett has a right to resent the fact. And really BTE wasn't bad, but it was bad in comparison to what came before.

7. daveyh

daveyh Skutter

He wouldn't have been on the commentaries anyway since he wasn't in the show.

8. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Not for a minute. Shame, really.

9. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Duane Dibley
    Does anyone care about what that miserable, bitter, old bastard has to say?

You do, obviously.

robjungle
    I really don´t get this thread. Norman Lovett was a great part of Red Dwarf when it was still good. So what if he´s said BTE was crap? It was! Whether you agree with him or not, isn´t he entitled to his opinion, especially as a former part of the show? Leave him alone!

Fan "Politics" is so funny, isn't it? Anyone here can get up and say they didn't like Series 8, and that's fine. But if you say you didn't like BTE, you're apostate. Look at some of this:

"Does anyone care about what that miserable, bitter, old bastard has to say?" -- Duane Dibley

"He always was a little bit bitter and always moanin'," -- Jack Smith

"him being the bitter old bastard he is had to make a massive point about it .." -- kakchriskak

"Frankly, he comes across as a bitter and twisted old git." -- Cpt D

All this over the incredibly tame comment "I didn't think it was very good on several levels,", which, on the surface at least, comes across as much less nasty and bitter than the comments of those who are pretending, with a perfectly straight face, to be offended by such things. I fully expect that the next Dimension Jump will have a Holy War between those who think the BTE DVD covers should be blue, and those who think they should be red.

10. Stasisleak

Stasisleak Skutter

Its a shame that Norman has chosen to burn his bridges in this way. It has changed my opinion of him, while his portrayal of Holly will be missed i dont want to see him return to the show.

Hattie is welcome back anytime, or as said above someone new who can give Holly a fresh start. Afterall there cant be much left after the water damamge - most mobile phones dont recover from getting wet lol.

Holly does need to return though - otherwise who is going to navigate the ship through space?

11. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

With all due respect Tex, had you read my complete post and not just selected the one line, you would realise that in my view, this has been going on for a while..

Personally, I dont give a flying fig about his opinion of BTE..
    What I'm fed up with is his 'two faced' comments.

I think he's done a great job in the past for Dwarf, I also wrote a glowing review of his Double Header tour.

Sadly, long before BTE, he wrote and said a lot of negative things about GNP and their treatment of the fans. This was done whilst he was claiming to be fed up of not being able to shake his 'Dwarf' image. Oddly, he was still selling autographs to those same fans, using the Red Dwarf name to sell his tour etc etc etc.

All this time, GNP were promoting his 'other' work and now have given us BTE, as well as all the DVD's and other merchandise over the years..

by coincidence, he's writing a warts and all book, his announcement of this was accompanied by futher digs..

Talk about 'biting the hand that feeds you'..

12. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

Does it really suprise you that he slates BTE when he isn't in it? He is a bitter old man.

Bring back Hattie Hayridge instead, much nicer person. You never got this from her when they finished
    her after series 5.

Ian.

13. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

wow some hard core fans here with no sense
    red dwarf rocks end of

is the guy not aloud to give his honest oppinion when asked ?
    didn't seem bitter to me
    seemed like an honest statement

i only hope the people responsible for BTE can admit it was rubbish too
    if they can't then i have no desire for them to make anymore red dwarf
    of course after seeing how you all reacted on here i would just lie or say nothing at all
    i didn't like it but i hope they make more and get it right so i'm going to buy it still for the collection on dvd
    respect to norman for having the balls to give his honest oppinion

14. Spm_V1

Spm_V1 Third Technician

Yes, alot of people care. I won't lose alot of sleep over him not coming back but given the option I would have him back in a second.

And as for your other point. He has left in the huff before and came back, so I would never say never when it comes to Norman.

He has great comedic timing and his deadpan mode is perfect for holly. I hope for the shows sake that if they never bring him back, then they just write the character out alltogether.

15. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think my comment came out of the moaning on the commentaries, and how he was being bitter about the cast not writing to him or something, and he's been a bit too faced so my comment came from my view of the other things he said, i would agree though that THAT comment in paticular that he made wasn't very bitter it was more the past things and the two facedness.

And that he moaned about not being in III onwards even though he had moved to scotland and didn't want to come down to rehearsels so decided to not do anymore. Hatty never moaned and she was actually booted from the show. :roll: Dear ol' Norm.

16. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

People lets play the perspective game, two other RD cast members and other celebrities have broke the law/have been accused of breaking the law, but one old man, who probably feels left out and cast aside, has an opinion every one is up in arms throwing words like "bastard" and "Bitter Old Man" around
    I'm sorry but the just dosen't feel very Red Dwarf to me that feels a little selfish and judging a book by a cover, has anyone stopped to think wheaterh Norm may or may not have some form of mental illness like bi-polar as do Bill Oddie and Stephen Fry

17. donnahanlon

donnahanlon Skutter

Wow people are really laying into Norman here like he's the devil!! He's allowed not to like it y'know!!! I (largely) didn't like it either - doesn't mean I should be banned from conventions and left to the crows!!

Chill dudes!!!!

18. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Bring back Hattie, I say. Of the two Hollies, she has had the rough end of the stick- being dumped from the show because the writers couldn't write for her character, and when the character was brought back the role given to the person who walked away from it. Additionally, she is on no merch, despite doing 19 eps (counting Parallel Universe).

19. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

its not just that he didn't like it, but the fact he's been known to pick on the show, the writer, fellow actors, ask for insane amounts of money, not want to go to rehearsals and get paid the same, then years later he wants to be paid for rehearsals that nothing came of.

he sounds like he's only in it for the money

20. lynseyjinn

lynseyjinn First Technician

Norman's perfectly entitled not to like Back to Earth, he's not alone in that respect. But I agree, it was highly unlikely that he was going to give it a positive review, even if it happened to emerge as the best episode of Red Dwarf ever to be written. Presumably he's still a tad annoyed, whether it's justified or not, and that's always going to colour an opinion.