Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

He is indeed entitled to his opinion; but whether sharing his opinion is permissible versus professionalare two different arguments.

The Queen probably has an opinion on the European Union. Her voicing her opinion is perfectly permissible but not exactly in keeping with professional conduct for her um... job.

Likewise, Norman, whatever his views, and however strongly he holds them, should really be thinking about whether his conduct is professional or not. There are some actors who probably want to vent their spleen about how much they hate the play/show/film they're in, but don't because it makes future casting less likely.

This is what I think is childish: moaning so publicly about arguably the most successful part of his career, feeling so hurt and let down by normal procedures and behaviours within his profession and airing his grievances so wildly.

Of course his opinion is his own. But the key thing about freedom of speech is not that you should say what you want when you want - it is that you can chooseto exercise it. It's the most precious liberty in our country. It should, like all precious things, be used sparingly and precisely.

2. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

It may interest you to know that Mr. Lovett is appearing at a Red Dwarf Convention in July, with Holly II. I think the cast will give him the cold shoulder.
    I don't get a joke he once made:
    What do trees and barge ships have in common:?: - None of them go into pubs very much? :roll::?

3. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Can you give us some examples of this? I've got all the DVD's, can you cite an episode where he says something out of line in a commentary? Or link to a story where he does? Cause this one comment everyone's so upset about seems pretty darn tame.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He posted the below message on his Myspace page a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's still on there, but I have a thread saved (from the old forum) in which a board member copy&pasted his remarks:

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Also, from this thread:

6. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

I suppose on the face of it, that is, basing what some us have said on the back of one comment, may look a little over the top.

However, there is a distinct history to all this as I've mentioned.

For me it all kicked off with comments about being fed up about only being remembered for Dwarf and how he had tried to shake it off.
    Fair enough apart from the fact that he was openly selling 'Holly' signed prints at places surrounded by Dwarf posters etc etc..
    He also did 'Beat-The-Geek'.

He also claimed that GNP were misleading the fans and taking them for a ride regards the Movie, suggesting that we, the fans, should forget Dwarf and get lives! (words to that effect)..
    Meanwhile, He's still selling his autographs etc to those same fans.

At the very best, this is double standards and for someone who claims to be tarnished by the Dwarf name, he's made some awfully bitchy comments about not being part of the new stuff.

I have to say that at the 'Double Header' show locally, he never ran Dwarf down nor it's creators. Back on the internet though, he just cant help himself.

Throughout all this, GNP have continued to support his work, advertising Double Header and Bags and Buscuits..

7. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

no no a posted note stabed to the back of the neck is worse.

8. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Not a double standard exactly. He wants to be remembered for Red Dwarf and also for a lot more than that. Sounds similar to Rob Grants attitude, actually.

If he did want to be in BTE, it sure wasn't for the money.

There is one talk show host who had tried out for the Dallas Cowboys in the 80's, who even years later always said that he really appreciated Tom Landry calling him into his office and telling him personally that he hadn't made the team.

9. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

Has everyone seen Lovett's BBC2 sitcom I, Lovett? He's streaming it for free on his site in the video section, all seven eps. The pilot kind of half-works in a low-key way I think, too many laugh gaps.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Thanks for letting us know. I'll have a watch of those tomorrow.

I remember it was a real curiosity, and I've been waiting since 1993 to see it again.

11. todd198126

todd198126 Skutter

It's sad that Norman feels this way and i can't help but agree with the opinion that it's sour grapes and he's a bit of a miserable old goit.I would be more than happy to see Hattie back, and i know she would be only too happy to play Holly again. Like someone else said at least Hattie has remained professional throughout proceedings and she has her own positive attributes.

12. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

I just watched episode one and it's a lot better. I think it's actually kind of good -- still too many laugh gaps, but some funny stuff, and the laugh gaps never become chasms. I'm going to watch more.

13. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

i'm quite disappointed and a wee bit surprised Norman could be so miserable and negative, i mean what else is he really know for the git.

14. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

*He claims to be a "com-eee-deee-an", whatever that is:?*. He just isn't funny.:roll:

:idea:*SARCASM*:idea:

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I watched the pilot. It's an odd programme and one quite suited to Norman's comedy style, but it isn't too funny and is a bit too much like a children's sit-com; I'm not surprised it lasted only one series. It does have its own charm though, and I'm going to make my way through the whole series.

16. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

This is the quote that made me think Norm was being a bit bitter, i mean sure i don't know the guy but laying into the cast and bringing up money really didn't help what i think of him. It's sad really, he's not a bad guy, but his comments make it seem like he wants the budget to bend over backwards so Holly could be in it. He wants to shake the Red Dwarf image and yet moans when he can't come back for these tight budgeted specials? Specials that could lead to a series commisioned that would probabley need Holly...Sad now that he won't be invited back. Unprofessional.

17. lynseyjinn

lynseyjinn First Technician

God, that sounds so spiteful. I didn't realise there was any animosity between Norman and the rest of the cast. Or is this news to everyone else too?

18. paddy_dwarfer

paddy_dwarfer Third Technician

bloody hell has he ever heard the word diplomatic . what ever his problems are with grant naylor productions the cast or BTE there is a better way to express yourself then he did . this is a man that was at the 2 most recent dimension jumps too . maybe captin D has a point .

19. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

Yes, I was trying to make a point and maybe I've been Norman watching for too long.

It does sadden me that he's turned against it and he was a great Holly and can be very funny.

I think what winds me up is that he is so positive in front of the fans, with his live shows and at events (I/E, selling himself), but he has been the complete oposite on line. He now seems to be using negativity to sell his upcoming book.

20. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

He practically said that he was going to bitch about the cast in his new book.