Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

"And Robert, what an unbelievable git. If he doesn't shape up pronto, I swear I'm going to attach jump leads to his nipple nuts and fry him like a Cajun catfish!"

Maybe when the book comes out, we can appoint him Morale Officer.

2. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

True. I wasn't in it & I didn't like it either!!! ;-)

3. david1

david1 Third Technician

Alrite doods,

whats everybody talking about?

norman lovett is great.
    he was the best thing about red dwarf when it started.

if he has an opinion about his old colleagues then so what? its perfectly valid. Doesn't change a thing for me

If people are coming with all this nonsense like new script ideas just to insult him then thats just ridiculous.
    Craig charles is an ex-con but i dont hear anyone judging him for that!

4. platini

platini Third Technician

Seems peculiar.

But whether RD is the only thing he's known for (although it isn't - he's been a standup for years) is besides the point. And he's now 62 and might actually be wanting to not do much these days beyond that. Maybe he does feel badly treated - maybe he was badly treated. And maybe he is owed money for the rehearsals; that they ultimately came to naught doesn't make any difference.

I did see him in standup several years ago and really enjoyed it.

5. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

My feeling is that while Norman has always been a moaning git, he has probably always been a decent guy as well. It`s seemed to me that he had ok relationships with the other cast members and he turned up at one of Danny`s trials willing to be a character witness for him so if their relationship has soured then that`s quite sad and a little strange. None of us know what`s gone on behind the scenes with him and GNP and he may be entitled to hold a grievance even if he could have dealt with it in a better way. If he was only informed of his non-involvement via email then GNP were lowering themselves to his standards at best so they wouldn`t really be able to hold the high moral ground.

I would agree that the bile that has been spouted about Norman has been out of proportion. Danny and Craig haven`t always been angels but their misdemeanours have been quickly forgotten. I`m not sure that criticising GNP is really that much worse...

Anyway, Norman has been a hugely important part of Dwarf`s success. If he hadn`t moaned about getting his face seen on screen then Holly`s character would have been so much less funny and the show might not have been as successful. Who knows?

6. paddy_dwarfer

paddy_dwarfer Third Technician

niko i don't mean to be rude but you seem to have missed the point slightly . danny and craig's problems were in thier private lives and as such were really no one elses buisness . norman lovett has made some pretty nasty comments in the public arena of my space . people will pick up on things like that . it is not his opinions i am questioning . he has 100% the right to them . i do think he has made a mistake in epxressing his opinions in the way he has . i always belive if you have an issue with someont you contact them directly .

one thing i don;t get . if he is as pissed of as he seems to be with red dwarf why has he not moved on . i see it has been mentioned he is bringing out a new book . playing the publicity game i wonder . people getting on well and having fun won;t sell books!

7. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

Nonsensical statement. When people break the law and are forced to answer for it publicly in a court of law, it's not a "private" business. It's absolutely public.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

In what way is Charles an ex con?

9. paddy_dwarfer

paddy_dwarfer Third Technician

pete you're perfectly correct but craig probelms in 2006 were all over the media about 3 months before he went to court or was arrested . back on topic now .

10. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

That was just sickening when that happened, his career went downhill even though he was innocent. That's the media for you.

Fair enough if Norman wanted to release those comments and of course he's entitled to his opinion but he doesn't need to be such a git about it. Sounds like sour grapes too me.

11. MESPITE

MESPITE Skutter

He's a disgrace to the show! I for one did not miss him at all!

He should be ashamed of himself!

12. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I wasn`t actually referring to their (accused) crimes.

Recently Danny made a comment which some considered to be racist. Now he may well just have badly worded his feelings (I`ve done the same thing myself) but nevertheless that`s how people saw it. Yet they still seemingly forgot about it almost immediately.

Also, Craig has knocked Dwarf fans on quite a few occasions and recently knocked Corrie fans too. Again I don`t see people too upset about that.

13. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

when has he knocked red dwarf fans? and even if he did, somehow it would've been in good humour, not bitter like Norman sounds.

14. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

15. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

I agree with all of this. But -- I checked this on Wikipedia -- Danny was punished with community service after he was found guilty of two counts of battery. According to the Daily Mirror, he threatened someone with a samurai sword. Whatever happened, he received (to my knowledge) none of the fan-slung bile that Lovett did. If you want to think less of Lovett, fine, but let's get this in perspective. The guy just said what lots of fans were thinking (as these boards prove).

16. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Danny was found wholly innocent on appeal. Perhaps you'd like to check your facts somewhere slightly more reputable than Wikipedia.

17. dthejc

dthejc Skutter

Well, I hope that for the benefit of the show (Should it hopefully continue) that all parties involved are able to put their misgivings aside and work together again.

18. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Even if you take into consideration what Craig and Danny allegedly did, I don't see how it relates to what Norm's doing.

Those where personal matters, not ones which slandered their fellow cast members or the show / company. What Norm is doing is wrong on a personal level, not a legal one.

19. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

Touche. But I think my point still stands: this anti-Lovett thread is an overreaction. With regards to murders and halitosis, ye, you might have affection for the murderer: but your initial response would not be harsher towards the guy with halitosis...

20. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

You`ve unintentionally proven the point that I was trying to make there. You ignored the fact that I mentioned racism and Corrie and just focused on Dwarf. The truth is that people aren`t insulting Norman because of what he`s said. They`re insulting him because he`s said it about Dwarf. I can understand that but it doesn`t actually make him a worse person even if it makes it more personal for people.

Anyway, yes Norman`s comments have been childish and sad at times but no sadder that some who have insulted him on the forums.