Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Cpt_Darling

Cpt_Darling First Technician

2. darthjimscott4th

darthjimscott4th Skutter

He said he didn't like the Red Dwarf special & was glad he wasn't in it. So what?

All this extreme retoric, ranting & harshing on the man....

Come on people we are Dwarfers!!!

What are we? STAR TREK FANS!!!!!!

YIKEES!!

-Darth Jim Scott 4th USA

3. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Yes, but the point is that some of the other stars of Red Dwarf have done similar things and it still hasn`t been discussed much on the forums. Anyway, I did say that the fact that the comments are about Dwarf make them more personal for people. But it doesn`t make them worse than Danny insulting an entire nation if that is what people consider him to have done does it?

Although Norman has said some stupid things, I do understand his feelings. He helped to create that character by insisting that his face be seen on screen. Then he had to watch as Hattie essentially copied his performance and was in some of the most successful years of the show. Now he has been deemed surplus to requirements again. Not surprising that he is miffed really even if he should deal with it better.

I think his other comments are understandable too. I`m sure he would have loved to have broken away from the Dwarf image 20 years ago but he has had to use it to sell tickets and merchandise. He`s not the first and he won`t be the last. As he was clearly a moaner to begin with, I`m not surprised by what he says now really...and I`m not going to hate him for it.

4. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

Have we all calmed down from the Norman L is a Git/Bastard/old moaning git situation, can we forgive him?

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Why would you expect every single person who visits a forum to be having the same emotional experience?

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Despite what he's said in the past I continue to like Norman, but I still think he's a moaning old git.

Actually, this post has reminded me that I should get round to watching I Lovett on his website. I saw the pilot episode, and that was pretty good if a little weird.

7. steff85

steff85 Second Technician

I bet if he was in Back to earth he would have raved about it. I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of norman just because of the things he says, I have been watching the commentary recently and he just moans and moans :shock: and saying he wouldnt do any more work that time unless that woman gave him his ball back, who does he think he is? Maybe he wasn't asked back for BTE cus he seems so hard to work with? moaning he had a pixilated face etc, his fave episode is the one that he nagged them to make so he would star in an episode, he should be greatful they made changes and listened to him as I'm sure they didnt have to, I love the fact that Hatties fave episode didnt even have her in lol Hattie all the way!

8. RedMidget

Think about it would Holly be funny as a charater as just a voice?

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Yes. Worked fine for Dave Hollins. Has worked fine in plenty of films, shows and sketches.

To be entirely fair, that's not how it was at all. The details can be found on the website - Back to Earth's Behind the Scenes section - and in Doug's DVD commentary.

10. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

What's YOUR emotional experience in regards to Norman's remarks, or GNP's for that matter?
    Haha. I realize PR is a tricky animal, and I don't expect a reply. But I can infer. And I infer by your reaction that some official members of GNP might still be a little sore at old Norm. Still, Norman's fans shouldn't be discounted. He is definitely one funny guy! And I really hope eventually people WILL move on from this and consider a professional relationship with the man again.

He said things out of bitterness. Not the shrewdest decision, but one I'm sure many people who have felt burned by their employers can empathize with. And he expressed an opinion about BTE that wasn't exactly promotional. But there were many fans and critics who felt the same way. Surely we're not going to hold them in contempt.

I think what RedMidget was trying to say was let's let bygones be bygones. Not exactly a despicable suggestion is it?

The only real head-scratcher is, why would RedMidget resurrect a dead post (that hasn't been posted on since April), if the intent really was to let bygones be bygones?

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think norman is basicly a glory hog, he proberly moaned that he didnt get anough screen time and thats how they treated him unfairly, and being told they didnt know if he would be coming back for BTE just basicly said there was no room for holly

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If you've heard the commentary, you know how Doug feels. And if you've read my previous comments on this forum, you know my opinion.

I don't see how issues with Norman can be seen as the same thing thing as discounting his fans. But then, I can't see how GNP need to consider the professional relationship when it's Norman who's saying he'd never work on Dwarf ever again.

You seem to think that Norman's position is in jeopardy because of what he said. But Norman WANTS to leave Dwarf behind. He walked away from the show, it didn't abandon him. This isn't about him being cast out after saying things in public. It's about him stating, once and for all, that he'll never return.

13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

In other words, if Norman HAD been invited back and appeared in it he would be singing its praises. The guy is a pleb. Happy to sell out on the success of Red Dwarf, but slag it off when it doesn't go his way.

I think his rant has had more of an effect on his own career rather than BTE! I for one think he's a total idiot now.

14. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I think the real point is that if Norman wants to shoot himself in the foot and burn bridges with GNP/RD, then let him. I think in time he'll come to regret it. I did think he stooped a bit low to mention the monies owed for the rehearsals, that's something that could have been negotiated by means other than a public forum. Although I enjoyed Norman's performances in RD I, II and VIII, I wouldn't want to see him back as Holly with his present attitude. Hattie played the part just as well, if not better, than Norman.

It would appear to me that GNP, in spite of the absence of Holly in BTE, has infinite patience with Norman. Why, only they know. My own would have run out years ago. Pretty soon, though, Norman may go too far and find the ever-open GNP door closed, with no more endorsement of his independent projects. Personally, I hope Norman refrains from making negative comments in public forums in the future because he'll only be hurting himself and the fans who put him where he is today. Having said all of that, it would be nice to see him resolve his differences and pop up as the disembodied head once more.

15. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Well I can't speak for anyone else but I might have done if he hadn't started attacking fans... And yes, it's definitely him.

16. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Wouldn't you think he'd learn to keep his mouth shut by now? Bring back Hattie!

17. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

If Norman doesn't like RD any more and doesn't want anything to do with it, what's he doing on the G&T forums?

I love how everyone suddenly prefers Hattie now Norman's doing this. I've always preferred Hattie's Holly, they're both excellent but her's always hit the nail on the head (or the head on the screen) a little better for me. If future RD has Hattie in it, I'll be happier than a hippie on the third day of an open air festival!

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

First time I visit G&T for ages and I laugh. Boy times have changed :P

19. RedMidget

Why couldn't norman have taken a John Nathan-turner approace to this issuse by simply giving the fans what they want whilst taking all of the hits from the critisizing masses. (Man Doctor who fans screwed up Big time then)

20. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Um... what??

(and I know who John Nathan-Turner is, I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make here)