Norman Lovett's Opinion on Back to Earth.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

:-( really

2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Norman really is a nipple!!!

If he goes to DJ next year... I suggest you all boo him!!!

What a nipple.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Much as I disagree with some of Norman Lovett's comments (particularly that second post on G&T. The first was understandable being more a reaction to a poster's comments,) I agree with much of that. Comments he's said have been blow way out of proportion. Things said about him have generally been a lot worse than anything he has said.

That being said, if we have new Dwarf, Hattie for Holly. I don't dislike the old grump though.

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

For all his complaining and nasty comments I'd still like to see him back as Holly in a new series. But it doesn't look like he will be back, so I'm just wanting A holly and leaving the guys behind the scenes to come up with a good relacement, albeit Hattie, Bill or Gordon Brown!

Rage

5. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

What i'm trying to say Jo is that even though he is getting critisized he needs to "Turn the Other cheek like JNT did in the eighites, not go in all guns blazing

6. Ant E

I always thought Hattie was better anyway - just Norman got given better lines.

The guy is a moron - RD is better off without him. What's he gunna do instead... oh, write a book about his days on Red Dwarf! Total hypocrite!!!

After that... Bingo caller? Bus driver?

7. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Well said, jmc2000.

Oh and Anti-Everything, you might want to change your name to "antagonize-everyone". I think it'd be more fitting. You do realize there ARE Norman Lovett fans who visit/post on this forum, right dude?

8. Ant E

9. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

No, not at all dude. It's just that there is such a thing as expressing opinion and quite another to beat a dead horse to the point of being antagonizing. I mean you call him a moron, hypocrite, pleb, total idiot, git, etc. In every post you make on the subject you have to come up with another synonym to express your targeted disdain for the man. I think it's safe to say we all get it -- you don't like the man. But it goes on from there. Not satisfied with the 100+ posts that populate this particular thread, you decide that you want to throw out another thread to attack the man some more.

You have freely expressed your [one dimensional] opinion on the matter (many times), and I appreciate and respect your fervor in doing so. Believe me I do. But call me crazy, but all this relentless onslaught on your part can only serve to stir up or "antagonize" other forum users. And THAT is an opinion I am also free to express, because like you so aptly pointed out, this IS a message board where users express their opinions.

BTW, I can understand how stirring up people might serve as some entertainment, so believe me, I am NOT trying to make for any bad blood between you and me on the RD forum. We both are RD fans afterall, and that is pretty kick-arse.

10. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    I agree with your last sentence.

11. Ant E

Still don't like him... character YES... 'actor' NO! I think he has well and truely bitten the hand that feeds him. I hope Doug doesn't take him back.

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I WANT NORMAN BACK !
    I dont care who said what about whoever or whatever. the show is what really matters to me, and besides its not as if the guy is a war criminal or anything. i'd be interested to know what sort of reaction mr.Barrie got from the fans when he left in 7 and said in an interview that 'wild horses couldnt drag me back to that show' ....but he came back and i believe that norm will too.
    i would be happy to see hattie back and i love this idea of Bill Bailey but for me norm is the right dude the gig.

I was thrilled that he was back - we suddenly had a world class moaner in our midst : DOUG NAYLOR

He's such a funny man and a great presence , yes he moans a lot but he's generaly got a point when he moans : CRAIG CHARLES

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree mostly. I think his reaction is blown out of proportion by some fans. That being said, it seems he overreacted*, and I'm all for Hattie being given the chance next time round. She comes across very sweet and didn't react negatively when she wasn't required for series 6 onwards. Neither when Norm got the role when Holly returned in 7. She seems to have a lot of time for the fans too, from what I've read concerning the conventions, etc (something I've yet to tend.)

I knew that he decided to leave partly due to the schedule of series 6 and his work on the Britas Empire, but that's the first time I heard that!

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Though it should be repeated that it's Norman who says he won't go back to the show. Fans are entitled to take their show - and its makers - over the person who leaves it with angry online posts. But whatever you feel about that departure, and the various sides of the debate, GNP haven't said anything about refusing to talk to him - he's refusing to deal with them any longer.

15. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

... then it's Norman cutting off his nose to spite his own face. And consequently the only person who will lose out is Norman. Not the fans or the programme makers.

I have no axe to grind where Norman's concerned, but he does seem to be behaving rather unwisely.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

17. 16moore

16moore Skutter

Does anyone else think that Norman is slightly a victim of the immediacy of the ‘net. It just seems to me these days that if someone famous says something it is then out there for everyone to see for all time. So someone says something if they are feeling a little hurt or vulnerable and BANG they have just painted how they feel in ten foot letters for the world to see; whereas a few years back, he would have said something to a friend, and got it off his chest that way.

That is me being Mr. Nice, the other side of me says that he should be trying to be constructive, and rise above it and say positive things, after all these are people he worked with for a number of years...say something nice, even through gritted teeth.

I hope everything goes well for Norman, he has been responsible for some of the best laughs I have had in front of the TV.

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I think that's an interesting point. Certainly it's not the internet's fault - he made the statement very deliberately to an audience of fans, rather than being quoted during a private aside. He wanted it to be available for all to see, and to get back to GNP.

But - the fact that someone CAN reach the fanbase that quickly, while angry, probably doesn't help. In times past, a person would have to make a very deliberate decision to make a statement: one that would involve getting your agent to find a reporter to get the statement from you, and for them to get it published in their magazine or paper. Taking days or weeks.

Which is a lot more effort than whacking something up on MySpace while still seething.

19. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Strangely enough, even though the internet exists, people can still call up a friend and get stuff off their chest.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I hope people will let this whole Norman thing go. His comments about the show havn't really done anything but reflect what lot of fans have been saying. I can choose to disagree with Norman as I do with those fans because I love back to earth. I can choose to agree with Norman that Red Dwarf as a series lost its way towards the end.
    Why does their have to be any animosity. I donn't know Norman so why should I feel that way towards him.

As for his comments about GNP, why should Norman try and pretend everything is happy families if it isn't? As fans perhaps we'd like to believe that everyone gets along rosily but the reality is that Red Dwarf is a workplace for the cast, sure it might be a job they enjoy, but its still a workplace and in a workplace you get quarrels, fights, arguments and sometimes even apologies.

Perhaps Norman has his facts wrong or perhaps GNP have been guilty of not affording him proper respect. Either way, the people who certainly don't know the truth are the ordinary fans who wern't involved. All this barracking of the guy is a bit of a waste of time and will only hinder enjoyment of the shows he's in if you force yourself to hate him out of some misplaced loyalty to GNP.

I'm just going to keep on enjoying the shows he's in and not worrying about internal politics that don't concern me.