Norman or Hattie?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MichaelJRimmer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'm sure there's been lots of comedies where a woman has been portrayed as an idiot or useless. Absolutely fabulous, that female in Ricky gervais' extras. The blonde one, she was treated like an idiot. And even that woman in only fools and horses, the one who was married to Boyce, she took a few insults off Del Boy, i thought.

2. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

You and me both, that dog joke has me laughing so hard EVERY time, even when I know it's coming. The "reveal" when he shows the picture of a dog is pure classic Holly.

...And I'm an idiot for not realizing I was replying to someone who probably isn't even here anymore.

3. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Go away

4. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Know this is old, but I just saw this quote.
    The reason why is because of the centuries long propaganda/stereotype of dumb blondes, women being seen as less in general. That's why it has become annoying and degrading instead of funny if a show has just the one female character and she's portrayed as a ditz. If you had two for example, a smart/regular women and a complete idiot you'd get away with a lot more. Bubbles in Ab/Fab, Alice in the Vicar of Dibley, Kelly in Married with Children, Phoebe in Friends for example. It's not about not being able to do the same with male and female characters, it's about adding just one female role and making her the idiot.
    I don't see that with Holly, though, we know she was the same as she was with male Holly and it's a continuation.
    Personally I prefer Hattie, as her version seemed a bit warmer.

Come to think of it; Red Dwarf started the male to female regenerations before Doctor Who!!

5. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

Did SOMEPONY say my name???????????????? U know if you mension spaceman then spaceman will appear!!!!!

6. Ant the Dragon

No, they didn't!!!!!!! Space gimmick

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

You an alien?Dude u know Spaceman is a alien hunter! U better not have any green skin, but I think u do.

[​IMG]
    Your skin is so green ppl think ur turning in to the hulk
    :dead:

8. Ant the Dragon

Racist

PeeJayHarvey and Zombie Smurf like this.
  9. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Norman, if for no other reason than Queeg. An outstanding episode imho. But I like the "Character" of Holly and think that with the proper script's Hattie could have come close(er) to Normans "ideal".