Not a classic episode. A pretty good tribute!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Jameseleaprendi, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Jameseleaprendi

Jameseleaprendi Skutter

Ive sat here listening to all the heated debate and I have a couple of things to say.

First of all, what is with the aggressive criticism? What makes a person want to get involved and savage something with such venom? I mean psychologically speaking - its ridiculous! If you REALLY dont like it, then why spend any amount of time posting about it on a fan forum? Even if you are a fan of the old shows, its such ugly behaviour. I guess most of that kind of thing is trolling - which is probably the most pathetic activity a human being can engage in. Seriously sad.

Also to those who are saying they absolutely LOVE the new stuff.... good on them but surely these guys are almost as deluded. The new episodes are not up to the quality of what's come before. The cast are rusty, the script is patchy, the production is rushed. The plot is... a bit out there to say the least! There is a change of format from new production methods and decisions as well. You only have to sit back and watch the classic episodes that follow to see the difference in 'form'.

Having said all that, the cast performances, script, production... not bad at all! Good acting, good comedy, adventurous story, inovative production methods. Its just a bit too far removed from 'proper' red dwarf. It seems like theyve tried out a little too much, changed too many aspects. After eleven years of ideas swirling about, coupled with the tension of not knowing if it'll ever come back, then the chance to produce something - I think theyve tried a little too hard.

The chance to make a special, 2 or 3 episodes of length, obviously requires some different kind of thinking. You cant just make 3 stand alone adventures. Not least because of how the previous season had arguably taken proceedings a little bit off track and left the show with a whole wad of loose ends to tie up. A whole other thread could be inserted here about what they couldve/shouldve done...

Theyve ended up producing what amounts to a sort of red dwarf tribute - with this metaphysical, fourth wall breaking communique. And on that basis I feel it has shown that the cast are still capable and up for it, and those who make the show can still be inovative and imaginative. There is clearly something there with more to give in my opinion. I think its also been shown that the fans are still up for it and there is potentially a very strong interest.