Not sure about 'Back to Earth'...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by TheSpong, Mar 21, 2009.

1. TheSpong

TheSpong Skutter

I'm unnerved by the new eps. There's things that worry me, things that make me think I won't enjoy them. Hope you can allay those fears.

Firstly, no Holly? That's kind of inexcusable. How can Red Dwarf (the ship) be minus its heart?
    Secondly, from the production pics I've seen the actors are really starting to show the ravages of time. I don't know if this was down to shoddy make-up (the Kryten mask looks awful if I'm honest), but all the cast except Lister/Craig look as though they're eligible to claim state pensions. It makes me wonder whether it's right if they can't make the cast look the part. But that was a feeling I was getting all the way through RDVIII anyway.
    Lastly, continuity. If the story in 'Back to Earth' doesn't sit neatly on the end of RDVIII, I'll probably find myself turning the TV off very quickly.

So, a little help to rekindle some confidence?

2. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

But series VI - one of the most consistantly funny series - had no Holly. Series VI contains some phenomenal episodes and doesn't suffer from Holly's absence at all.

This is just not true and quite an erroneous bit of hyperbole. Danny has hardly aged at all. Kryten, well, can't age but has not put on girth which would be obvious. His mask is far more in keeping with the heyday of series V/VI than the peculiarly rounder mask of VII. It's far more traditional.

I think giving a show 5 minutes to check its continuity before giving up is a bad idea. If you'd done that with Back in the Red, you'd never have found out how VIII continued on from VII. Remember the first scene there is a prison bunk scene ending with "You poured a whole tube of it over me". We only find out what it was two episodes later.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

what in the same way backwards continued on from parallel universe ? im suprised u didnt switch off

haveing it set 9 years later helps it explain the aging im guessing

4. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Spong. You need to relax and enjoy the ride. Whatever will be will be. And when you come onto the RD board with a post laced with ageism you look like a totally smeghead with brains in you recharge socket. I think the cast looks great. I would hope that 10 years would be so kind to any of us. But maybe in another 10 years it won't be so kind to me or you. maybe in 10 years, you'll go completely bald, put on 200 pounds and have jowls the size of toddlers. and maybe then some ungrateful smeghead can't point at you and say, "Oh my Gawd, he looks so old". Smeghead.

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I disagree with all three things you've said - Holly came and went in the original show (barely a few lines in series V, gone completely in VI and most of VII), and the cast look a sprightly 40-something to me, which is James Bond age - but it's the third point that make me suspect you're watching the wrong show.

Red Dwarf has always forsaken its cliffhangers. How did you cope at the start of series III when they dumped Lister's pregnancy? (It's in the scrolling text, but since that goes by too fast to read the 'switch off since it's not all been explained' rule still applies.) They didn't explain the costume or set changes, either; nor the sudden appearance of a fleet of Starbugs.

Given that it's a decade later, any attempt to set Back to Earth in the moments after series VIII concluded would look ridiculous. Better to start a great, new, funny story and tell it well than to be lumbered with a lot of bad exposition.

6. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I'm not sure about Back to Earth either. And I won't be until I watch it. So that's what I'll do.

And no, I don't want half the story given over to explaining the cliffhanger. I want as much info as I need for the present story to make sense.

7. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

pppffffff

ill be watching them over and over and over again! im a RD fan throught and through, love everything about it and think the things cant be explained make it what it is! i dont watch s**te like CSI due to the fact that everything is explained to the nth degree. but i simply dont watch it, dont go on the forums telling them so! each to thier own

the dwarf is comedy and it makes me laugh over and over, has done since i got hooked all those years ago!

i have memories of it been one of the only programs the whole family actually watched together on a fri night!

if i could id shake everyones hand who has made this happen, if the opportunity came my way!!

love to all!

peace!

8. TheSpong

TheSpong Skutter

Okay, thanks for the welcome guys and gals. As light-hearted as some of your insults were, they were still exactly that; insults. I've been a fan of the series since it began and all I was doing was airing concerns, my own personal opinions. I am but one person and obviously my views are going to be different from the next person's. But that's no reason to lambaste me with "clever" Red Dwarf-related witticisms.

As a result, I'm not going to bother furthering my opinions with more detail because clearly they'll just be rubbished. Which I'm sure most in this thread will be glad of, you'll see it as a victory.

I have every intention of at least being there when the first show of 'Back to Earth' airs, my visit to my girlfriend's place is in fear of being put on hold because her set-top box isn't working properly, that's how much I want to watch it. But I don't want the new trilogy to sully what the show was (series 6, 7 & 8 have done enough sullying for me thank you). While I was overjoyed to hear about the show's return, I'm certainly not blinded by it to the point they can feed me any old rubbish.

I'm not saying 'Back to Earth' is going to be rubbish, I'm just worried that it might be. But that's what someone's like when they love something, aren't they? It's a fear.

And that's me. Given the reception my initial concerns were met with, you'll probably not hear from me now until after the shows have aired.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't think I saw a single insult anywhere. How strange.

10. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Indeed - someone who finishes his post with an actual request for people to disagree with him is annoyed that we disagreed with him.

11. EternusNex

EternusNex Third Technician

Those are both good points and i think we will need to wait and see how the shows play out without Holly but the ship without Holly is a little worrying. Remember series VI and VII were just on Starbug with no link to the crimson short one. Back To Earth is back on the dwarf and out the brig so there could be a moment when you expect him to appear.

Those points are personal choice. There will be the fans who wanted them to look like they did in series V/VI or so but remember that these guys were in their mid 20s or so when making series I so they are pushing 40 now. i'm just happy it is the original cast and not an attempt at Red Dwarf Next Generation

Red Dwarf has always abandoned continuality if it makes a show better and explinations were just ran past quickly.
    Lister's twins in II gone from III, Kryten leaving the ship in II to be back in III, Everyones death at the end of VI and alive in VII
    Again its a case of wait and see.

12. Menuboy

Menuboy Third Technician

I'm not sure about it either if i'm perfectly honest. For me it kind of ended after VI. The gap between VI and VII was too long and it took a different direction after that. Too high budget and more focused on storyline. I preferred it when it was just about them, in a simple set, silly storyline but with the main focus on the comedy. VII was passible. VIII, well I won't go into that.
    I'd rather they do like they usually do and tie up the last series in like a couple of minutes, or maybe not even bother. From the pictures it looks like a harking back to series I-III (Rimmers uniform especially, like the shiny ones he wore in III). A bit like how VIII tried to do but just failed. I'm a pretty die hard fan of the first 6 series and I really want the comedy to be of that standard, but I just think i'll be disappointed. For some reason the characters changed quite dramatically. Rimmer became overly silly, Cat became dumber than usual, and Kryten lost all of his brains and wisdom and turned into a blubbering wreck most of the time. Lister was the only one who seemed to stay true. Obviously i'll be watching it anyway ;-). It'll be good to see them FINALLY get back to Earth after all this time. I'm curious as to what time period they'll get back in. 1990's? Present day? Near future?

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I'm looking at it...and I don't see it. I mean, blaming everyone who replied for a single response - and one which, frankly, only suggested that blaming the cast for looking older (as if they could prevent it!) was unreasonable - seems like a massive over-reaction to me. If that's the harshest insult to be found - calling a person a smeghead on a Red Dwarf forum when they've laid into a youthful-looking cast for appearing to be their actual age - then...well, that's over-sensitivity.

If you ask for counter-opinion and don't like the counter-opinion - and if you call a character the heart of the show when they actually didn't appear for two series - then you have to anticipate some other reaction than "Jee-whizz, you-re right!" "Insults" is a plural, one 'smeghead' is hardly cause for concern.

14. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

call me crazy but i thinking calling somebody on this message board a "stung fanboy" is slightly more insulting then calling someone on THIS board a "smeghead".

To be 100% honest, my reply had little to do with my fandom of the show (which admittedly, I'm a big fan...but why would I bother with this message board if I wasn't?)

What it does have to do with was specifically the issue of the OP's problem with the cast having (god forbid) aged. It was incendiary at best and ageism at worst. When Harrison Ford signed on for Indiana Jones 4, he looked older, but I didn't say to myself, "Boy I don't think Harrison Ford can still act the part...He only spent the better part of the eighties honing his portrayal of the character." (Indiana Jones 4 sucked for other reasons to be sure). But THAT'S what was insulting about this entire thread and others like it that doubt the people behind "Red Dwarf" because of age or time passed or what-not. It's about respect and about giving the people involved the benefit of the doubt. After the specials come out, then you can rag on 'em if you don't like them. But what is this pre-emptive ragging all about? If they ARE bad, do you get some kind of reward for being able to say "I told you so."

Lastly I am NOT a fanboy. That's not to say I'm not a fan...I am. We weren't talking opinions of the show's content themselves. I like to remain focused on Dwarf to come, instead of laboring over the Dwarf that's passed. It's that reason that I don't go on here and say "You know what season I didn't like?" or "I really didn't like this episode." Everyone has episodes they like and episodes they don't. I'm no different. But at this point and time, I don't think it's necessary to point out the ones I don't, especially when so many have already done so.

I guess my point is you can't criticize me for "insulting" someone else by calling me a fanboy when you are totally oblivious to the extent of my fandom. Or who I am at all for that matter. Smeghead :-P

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They look like human beings in their 40s. "Claiming state pensions" is an over-the-top suggestion, and worthy of being refuted.

Still one person, though. He wasn't attacked in every response by every poster, so the reply regarding "insults" was over-the-top. If you claim Holly as the heart of the show - despite the character vanishing for two series - then it's not unreasonable to be disagreed with. To post a contentious set of claims and complain when those are refuted, well, that's an over-reaction.

16. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

To be fair, as tapped as he is, we all have some concerns about whether the magic of the show can be recaptured by the specials I would think. But It doesn't seem worth commenting on in a way since it'll be on soon and we can judge it for ourselves from first hand experience. I'm not even looking at photographs and spoilers anymore. I don't need my appetite whetted, and I don't want to form any opinions before I see it.

17. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

No concerns here. I think the episodes are going to be fantastic. We've already heard Craig Charles talk about how the chemistry between castmembers came back almost instantaneously - after ten years I don't think any of them would've agreed to take part if the script was anything less than incredible. I'm sure Doug and GNP are well aware of the questions being raised on the forums about the quality of the show, the passage of time, whether the fourth wall will be broken - surely if he didn't think he'd got it spot on with BTE he could've just thrown the script in the bin? I mean, ten years have passed. We would have been none the wiser. It's not like we were expecting the movie, Series IX or anything else before last year's announcement.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Stung fanboys and smegheads aside, I have something to say. I've had a slight change of heart about this.

At first I thought the cast looked pretty old, but I don't think they have aged that much in the ten years since series VIII anymore. Maybe I'm now seeing them as the characters and not looking closely at every line on their face?

To be honest I thought there was more change in Chris between series I and Series VIII (even series V and VIII) than there has been in the past ten years. Kryten to me, can't look any older in a mask. Yes his costume is different but it's better than the weird series VII mask. I'm not a great lover of the new costume but again, look at Kryten in series III and even by series IV he was a lot wider....

Craig and Danny look ok, so I don't have a problem with this anymore. I even think they could put in some age gags (can you imagine the cat finding a grey hair?)

To the original poster, no offence or insult, but if you really haven't liked the past 3 series of Red Dwarf, I wouldn't hold out much hope for this. I thought series VI was great and I don't see the show ever topping that again, though I hope it can be better than VII.

19. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmmmm interesting old bumped post! Proving how people tend to judge a series based on trailers. Also shows how important the trailer is to gaining an audience. I'm my opinion the series X trailer was pretty poor but BTE was quite good!

But Spong here had some odd pre-judged complaints

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Interesting old bumped post - you're the one who bumped it!

Nevertheless, yes, in BTE the cast were showing the "ravages of time". Same in RDX and, I should imagine, XI and XII. Does this matter? Not really. No Holly? As much as we've all enjoyed watching both incarnations of Holly, Kryten has more or less taken that role. And during RDX, I didn't really notice (just stop it with this JMC onboard computer nonsense). Taking over from RDVIII - again, I don't think anyone seriously cares any more about a resolution to that - we can all just create fan-fic in our heads about them being saved by Lister's GELF wife who then has a heart attack whilst stabbing Rimmer, because Doug doesn't care either. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show.