.Oh Dear.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by steven87gill, Aug 29, 2009.

1. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I've just found Red Dwarf HD on sky anytime, put it on record, but realised it was pointless since you can't copy to vhs, so deleted it, and now i can't find it on anytime :-( please tell me i haven't just deleted it completley of the sky box.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It seems unlikely. I understand some people visit the non-HD Anytime my mistake - where, obviously, it isn't located.

But yeah, VHS: not HD.

3. steven87gill

Problem solved! Switched anytime tv off in settings then switched on again, and BTE is back on there. Takes a while for all the programmes to reappear but that's no bother.

.Really. Impressed with HD quality, you can tell this was shot on movie quality hi-def, wonder if more episodes are filmed if it will be shot in 4k or just 1080

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well, remember that although it was shot at 4K, the show was processed at essentially 2K. (The effects shots, etc.) And a lot of the shots you see on screen while filmed at 4K, are resized - zoomed in - up to 200%.

Which is to say: by the time you see it, the shots are all 'standard' HD. The 4K helps the editing, shooting and effects processes, but essentially makes no difference for the viewer. What does make a difference is that Andy is a terrific DoP, shooting on prime lenses with great lighting choices, and Mike put together a great team to get the very best from the Red tech.

I can't imagine Dwarf going back to standard definition. Any such decision would only be practical and financial - for example, whether, if the show reverted to a studio audience, that many cameras and that much storage and processing could be afforded.

5. steven87gill

Interesting. Thanks for reply. BTW i don't mean going back to standard def, i mean shooting in lower hi def 1080.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Oh, I know. Just saying that, while it massively affects the production, shooting that way wouldn't have noticeable impact on the viewing experience - since 1080 is what you see regardless.

7. steven87gill

Thanks, i've always wondered, what's the fastest frame rate you could theoretically get out of 1080p? Sorry to pick your brain like this, but just interested.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Not really my area - I mean, the answer is theoretically 'infinite', but current TVs will be built only to a certain spec. Also depends on available camera spec and storage. (For example, the Red One has to limit its frame rate to progressive if shooting 4K.)

But really, this is a job for Google and Wikipedia!